Estate audio upgrade

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estate audio upgrade
No clue if anyone is interested, but hey...

When I bought my estate it had the 'full' oem kit in (i.e. front door mids, front door tweeters and tailgate 'full range').

All of it is horrible. Ok, so the front right wasn't working (fixed by cleaning pillar multiplug) and the cd deck wasn't either, but it wasn't worth bothering trying to fix.

Job 1. Remove oem h/u. Easy as it was missing the surround (p.o. loosely slung it back in after removing his own).

Job 2. Fit 'new' h/u. Had to swap perm and switched live in the ISO because Peugeot...

[Image: BeOupcS.jpg]

Job 3. New door speakers. I cba to be chopping the original loom (drizzle...) so I made adaptors by lopping chunks off the old speakers

[Image: LpnbHMk.jpg]

then soldering little flyleads for new

[Image: daZVEYT.jpg]

pop them in and do up screws, stick covers on

[Image: tAQb1UW.jpg]

[Image: 6wbTSqB.jpg]

Fronts done for now. I left the oem tweeters in the loop, but this is probably getting redone later anyway.

Job 4. Rears. A bit more involved, but made up same 'adaptors' and set to easing them in.

Original vs. new:

[Image: lzlH6Ib.jpg]

And a wider view

[Image: PTfNrVM.jpg]

And for the moment, that's all I've done.

I have to double skin the tailgate trim panel with mdf to stiffen it all up, so photos of that will come when I get to it. Then, amp and a pair of 12"s will be going in.

The whole thing is a bit fluid though, so bits that have been done are likely to change as new ideas arrive.

Still, huge improvement so far.
Thanks given by:
I might be interested in the OE cd deck if you still have it? Did you say it doesn't read cds but the rest of it works?
Thanks given by:
I used to have them Apline E types in my old saxo 7 years ago, the quality was fairly decent until the paper edges ripped due to not being able to handle the higher output of a different h/u, i then settled for a crossover set up, but for cheap upgrades there a good start Smile
Thanks given by:
(21-05-2016, 04:34 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: I might be interested in the OE cd deck if you still have it? Did you say it doesn't read cds but the rest of it works?

Yes, still have it. Radio and all the controls work, it'll load a cd and spin it up but nothing more. I don't have the mount cage for it, but I do have the code (on the receipt which someone paid silly money to obtain).

Drop me a pm (is there a minimum post count for me to reply?) if you want pics or owt.

(21-05-2016, 04:36 PM)P-Courty Wrote: I used to have them Apline E types in my old saxo 7 years ago, the quality was fairly decent until the paper edges ripped due to not being able to handle the higher output of a different h/u, i then settled for a crossover set up, but for cheap upgrades there a good start Smile

These ones have a rolled foam surround so should be alrightish. Considering I didn't technically pay for them (were fitted to a discovery rear door that I bought ages ago for the wiper) they're a brilliant budget upgrade.

Pretty sure they're going to be fairly temporary though, trip to scrappy is looming for a set of door cards and other bits...
Thanks given by:
Yeh estate rear speakers are a pain. They're 5x7 but non OEM 5x7 speakers wont fit.
Thanks given by:
so thats what the 38 quids worth plus vat in the passenger door speaker hole looks like to stop water getting into the passenger side floor!! used blue dpc and duct tape to cure ours, nice and dry now for ages, and it has rained and rained and rained
Thanks given by:
(21-05-2016, 06:44 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Yeh estate rear speakers are a pain. They're 5x7 but non OEM 5x7 speakers wont fit.

I already had the 6x9s so didn't see the point of putting in 5x7s just so they stay hidden. Bit more cutting involved to get them in - even mounted an inch or so further out there was no way they were going through those holes...

Hopefully as the audio install progresses it'll look neat, but oem looks really aren't part of the plan Wink

(21-05-2016, 06:52 PM)pug306driver Wrote: so thats what the 38 quids worth plus vat in the passenger door speaker hole looks like to stop water getting into the passenger side floor!! used blue dpc and duct tape to cure ours, nice and dry now for ages, and it has rained and rained and rained

Have you checked the drain holes too? If they're not clear the bottom of the door just fills up until it finds the next lowest available outlet.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, did that when the door car was off making the patches and taping up, been dry ever since.

There was remains of a clear plastic skin there which let water thru the speaker, buggered the cone, and let water in thru the speaker grill, onto the door seal and run behind /down the carpet.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you got it sussed then - the water's going to get in, just have to guide it out the way you want it to go.

I'm going to have to completely redo the water'proofing' on mine - nothing wrong with it now, but things are changing...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Audio setup - help LewisG 70 25,471 13-01-2015, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Ruan
  Running audio cable? JTaylor2005 9 2,451 14-12-2014, 12:17 AM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Audio Install RetroPug 22 4,126 07-09-2014, 07:55 AM
Last Post: RetroPug