Gearbox failure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gearbox failure
Interesting, probably is worth sandwiching a plate between the end of the casing and the cover.

Looks like it'd be much more of a bastard to put something on the other end, but every little helps eh.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Used to run external straps on the old VW transaxles to stop them splaying apart under shock. The pegs behind the shafts and diff.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Everyone has there ways, I know AB motorsport used a larger bearing on the input shaft end which some BTCC box's did but as WP said the gap then between the 2 bearings in the end case got so close it cracked, well on the BTCC ones, you even need to watch when fitting a single plate Race clutch the clutch arm top bearing area can fail as well due to the extra load on it.
Old race box's I did used Roller bearings instead of the bush's which these days for some reason seems all to be forgotten about
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
If you are smashing gear boxes all the time I'd suggest you start looking at your driving style even with higher than normal outputs.

ML gear boxes are a huge amount stronger and a avenue worth Investigsting at some point for sure. I've never heard of a V6 killing one, I curtainly gave mine some stick and plenty of hard launches. I even drove it 80 miles with no clutch, bumping it on the starer every junction!

Down side to that is gear cables do not give a nice change compared to a well sorted rod set up in my opinion.
Thanks given by: