1.8 engine MPG

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.8 engine MPG
Hi guys, I have a 1.8L 8v... Anyone with this engine, any MPG for reference? I usually do short-bad traffic-urban-drives but isn't 22-23 MPG a bit too poor? I always expected around 25-26. On motorway it gets reasonable at around 36 or 38. (full tank measuring)
I'm sometimes suspicious about the fuel pump, anyone with PP2000, what's the expected fue ramp pressure value? As I recall, it was arround 900 (mbar?) on idle. I should check it again though.
edit 16/05: Checked it today, the fuel ramp pressure reads 450 mb (is that mili bar?) on idle and falling below 400 with a slight acceleration. Injection time 2.8ms. As far as I know the pump pressure should be arround 3 bar, right? But what about the fuel ramp? I've opened a thread about this last thing.
Cheers
Thanks given by:
Wow for a minute there I thought you meant 1.8 mpg!!!!! Lol I'm not that great with that kind of stuff but I'm sure someone will help you out on here soon enough
Thanks given by:
I've owned 2 1.8s but they were the newer 16v ones, averaged 35mpg with mixed driving myself. If you're doing a lot of town I'm not surprised it's lower.
Thanks given by:
LOL now I see the "scam" title! Noo I'd probably have burnt it or something if I got that figures!
It's normally 100% town, so yes, though it always hit me as too low.
Thanks given by:
Could be coolant temp sensor or lambda beginning to go
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Interesting. As for the coolant temp indicator, I never noticed a change in it's behavior, so I guess the sensor shouldn't be bad. But the lambda... Never got check engine, but could it be slightly faulty, let's say the car takes it as normal, but really it's working a bit funny? Any way to check? Thanks
Thanks given by:
Dont go by the dash temp gauge. There is a seperate sensor for that to the sensor that the ecu uses. If it goes faulty and open circuit, the ecu defaults to -40 degrees so just chucks shit loads of fuel in!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Well I didn't know that, really interesting, is there any way to check it? What about PP2000? Which sensor is that temp informed from?
Mine is china blue as well! A pity we didn't see even one gti-6 arround here.
Thanks!
Thanks given by:
If you have PP2000 then that will give you the reading from the ecu temp sensor (the green one) so yeah will diagnose that hopefully Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Great, I'll have to take out my old laptop to connect it and see what comes out! Thanks again, I'll post results
Thanks given by:
(12-05-2016, 09:13 PM)Niall Wrote: If you have PP2000 then that will give you the reading from the ecu temp sensor (the green one) so yeah will diagnose that hopefully Smile

Thanks again, today I was able to check that, both temp sensors on PP2000 (coolant and air) seem to be ok, as the first one quickly climbed from 15 °C to normal working temp as I started the engine, and the air intake T was at 15°C as well. The fuel ramp pressure seems a bit low, reading 450 mb (is that mili bar?) on idle and falling below 400 with a slight acceleration. Injection time 2.8ms. As far as I know the pump pressure should be arround 3 bar, right? But what about the fuel ramp? Cheers
Thanks given by:
Caliper sticking slightly?
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(16-05-2016, 09:40 PM)adam b Wrote: Caliper sticking slightly?
No sticking, though the brake pedal whistles a little if pressed hard enough.
Thanks given by: