X plate 2.0 cabriolet couple of issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X plate 2.0 cabriolet couple of issues
Hi all, 

I have today swapped my rover 75 with my brother for his moonstone cab. ( not too long ago we both had cabriolets). 
His cabriolet has been very well kept i.e some huge bills and masses of paperwork! It has been previously owned by a disabled driver. 

I has spent much of the last 5 years or so stood or doing very little miles in the last 5 years it may have covered 3k miles If that. 

Today has been the first real drive and I have noticed the brakes are extremely senstive i.e you have to be very gentle with the brake pedal otherwise you go through the windscreen. 

I know the handbrake cables need replacing but this should have an affect to this extent.. I can't remember if the phase 3 rear beam has a bias valve compensator?. 

One issue that has plagued this car is... 
The clutch has always been different to the others cabs I have owned ( owned 4 now) and this clutch is more like a button. 

I.e bring the clutch up and it begins to bite if you raise the clutch past this point it just stalls. You have to apply revs it's not easy to explain. 

The clutch has been replaced by the previous owner and has only done approx 2k miles since then. The previous owner thought they were a gti engine and the only thing I can think of is.... if they fitted a gti clutch kit?.. doubt that's even possible we have replaced the clutch cable with a gti6 cable and this did make it a little bit better and a little more controllable. It acts like a sports clutch. Not like any other 306 clutch I have come across. 

Last question is... 
What would make the engine labour at 1,500rpm? When the revs become this low and traffic begins to move or whatever and you accelerate from 1,500 rpm or just below the car jerks violently. In my other cabs this wasn't a problem..  you can pull away but you have to be very very light with the throttle. 

What could be the causes of these niggles?. 

Thanks in advance!!

Rob
Thanks given by:
Welcome, car sounds like it has a few niggles, but once sorted im sure it would be sweet Smile Im not too up on petrols, but id guess ICV is the issue with the engine labouring at 1500rpm, other than that I wouldn't know, sure someone will be along shortly with more knowledge Smile Get some photos up, not many cabby's on here.
Thanks given by:
Thanks fella 

To explain a little better... go round a roundabout in town in 2nd as you would at around 10mph and as you accelerate to exit the roundabout it begins to jerk as if it misfires once and then may do it again until you hit 1,500rpm or more and that's it it's fine again. 

Ive put a full bottle of red ex injector cleaner in the tank so hopefully that may improve things a little but I'm beginning to think it's possibly plugs or coil pack... 

Thanks
Rob

Also to add when I drove to work tonight it continued to misfire like it has been. Pulled up in the car park and let it tick over for a few minutes and found it has a slight "jerk" on tick over quickly followed by a "dink" noise. It is intermitent but it is there. Engine was fully upto temp.
Thanks given by:
On the drive to work tonight I actually noticed that lift off results in engine movement. So.. I wonder if the jerking at lower speeds is due to a fubard mount or shaft?. I.E accelerate quickly and it jerks at 1500rpm or lower. Accelerate the same way at 2k rpm and it doesn't do it. If it was a missfire or otherwise it would do it anywhere in the Rev range presumably. So perhaps it's a mount or shaft?... would this make more sense

Thanks
Rob
Thanks given by:
a few things i could recommend,

Solid bottom mount, - made a huge difference in my cabby.
remove that stupid little spring on the clutch pedal. (dont have your face anywhere near when you pry it off, or you WILL end up in A+E)

those two alone made my cabby much easier to drive. it is still pretty short on the biting point, but i think thats either the clutch telling me its time for a replacement, or the cable is at full adjustment Smile lol.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by: