Tom's Nile GTi6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom's Nile GTi6
cully Wrote:since my track day I've been looking for my next upgrade, then on one of the many Facebok groups a quaife ATB LSD turned up which i purchased Smile

over the last few days ive been layed on my back changing out the STD diff while the enginebox was still in the car, I've even managed not to remove the subframe Smile

[Image: 20160411_183339.jpg]
[Image: 20160412_201215.jpg]
[Image: 20160412_201226.jpg]
[Image: 20160413_172418.jpg]
[Image: 20160414_191435.jpg]

going back together

[Image: 20160416_095919.jpg]
[Image: 20160416_095949.jpg]
[Image: 20160416_100314.jpg]
[Image: 20160416_121650.jpg]

its all in and finished
it would also seem that i need to learn how to drive the car again

Big Grin
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
It was seeing that that made me think of doing it, but I want to know if everything will stay in place if I leave the shafts in?
Thanks given by:
No-one tried it with the shafts in then? Confused
Thanks given by:
What are you trying to remove/achieve? You should be able to remove the diff cover with the shafts in place and the diff stay where it is, but I'm not sure what you're going to gain from doing that as haven't you stripped the thread on the casing? You won't be able to remove the diff itself, the speedo drive housing or the larger speedo drive cog with the driveshafts in place.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink

Amazingly it seems to have worked, diff casing came off and allowed me to to get the bearing square so the speedo drive now fits square and it holds a litre of gear oil. Of course the reused diff seals are leaking as expected so can't put any more oil in than that. lol

Also just checked fuse Dee mentioned for heater controls, both fine.
Thanks given by:
Diff.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
That looks like it must of been quite diff-icult

Ill get my coat.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(16-05-2016, 04:46 PM)Niall Wrote: That looks like it must of been quite diff-icult

Ill get my coat.

Sams slipping normally he wouldve got in there first with that
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
It was difficult to find the drive to do it tbh. But bearing in mind it had to be done, it wasn't that bad.

Anywho... Itwasntme lol

After sorting that, I gave it a hoover and a wash and took ad pictures so it will be for sale as soon as the V5 arrives. If anyone on here wants it, drop me a PM.
Thanks given by:
Needs more lows... Wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Looks clean Tom! Smile should keep it Tongue
Thanks given by:
Think i might get one next
Thanks given by:
i was joking to the wife i was going to buy this when tom finished with it. hoping you would keep it over the summer lol never mind i have a house to pay for at the moment
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I should hope it does look clean in the dark and wet, Matt! lmao

Lol Bash, it's slower than a 2.1 with a big turbo... Not that you'd want to drive it fast on Proxes with shite tracking, let alone in the wet, Focus is quicker through the twisties and cruising at speed! At least the '6 has acceleration (eventually) and noise though. Wink lol
Thanks given by:
So took this to the retro meet with rowells Rallye tonight and amazingly didn't break down...

Well, except the window wouldn't close when I got there lol...seems to have just been a door loom plug though. lol

Update on the heater issue... if I set off with the dial on cold, sometimes it will stay cold for the entire trip, if I move to hot then back to cold it stays hot though! Confused. I'm out of ideas there, the panel still doesn't illuminate but the ac and recirc buttons do, and the fan speed control works so it's obv getting power.

Also got some bolt extractors for 2 quid off eBay so may charge up the drill and try to get one of those stuck in the rear arb bolt this weekend. And see if I've got a washer to put on the strut top nut which is knocking like mad.

I still don't have the v5 yet. Undecided
Thanks given by:
So I don't have the V5 because the seller forgot to post it... Makes a change... Rolleyes

Oh and after last nights run its dropped a load more gear oil on the car park. Dodgy Anyone tried this stuff? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/F-F-Drive...RTM2063723

I tried some cheap stuff from Wilko that made no difference at all.
Thanks given by:
Cheap ass washing powder and got water give it a bloody good scrub and a blast with the hose.

You've got to watch what you put on tarmac as it can dissolve it
Thanks given by:
So washing powder has done nothing to the oil stain but has cleaned the ground around it... Confused lol

Cheap coke also doesn't work.
Thanks given by:
Sand. Brushed in to soak.

Then petrol and rags
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
pour methalated spirit over it and burn it off

works on wood to get oil staining out Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
(20-05-2016, 11:12 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Also got some bolt extractors for 2 quid off eBay so may charge up the drill and try to get one of those stuck in the rear arb bolt this weekend.  And see if I've got a washer to put on the strut top nut which is knocking like mad.

Be VERY careful with those, as more often than not all that happens is that you snap the extractor off in the hole and then you're in a whole world of pain.

If you must use them (and personally I wouldn't, especially £2 ones that'll likely be made of chocolate) then make sure that you drill the hole as large as you safely can without risking damaging the threads so that you can use the largest extractor.

It goes without saying that you'll need some decent sharp drill bits too.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Yeah tbh I decided not to risk it in the end, new owner can fix it.

As for the oil, I did soak up what I could first, it's just the stain left, no actual oil as there's no rainbows when it's wet.

Don't trust myself burning it do I just hope it weathers in now lol.
Thanks given by:
Jesus that is low on the 7th photo Tom... :O lol
https://www.gumtree.com/p/peugeot/peugeo...1170839939
Thanks given by:
Needs a better first pic tom!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
If you have any brake cleaner it will usually get rid of any oil stains.
Thanks given by:
Ha, I wondered who would see that first! Waiting for the influx of lols at the price tbf... I've really cocked up the pictures there, complete wrong order and some of the outside shots are missing, fail! Will be going on ebay tomorrow anyway, I'll hopefully get that one done right lol.

Re height - that's with an empty boot as well so not as low as it has been! lol

(24-05-2016, 10:10 PM)ConorTRG Wrote: If you have any brake cleaner it will usually get rid of any oil stains.

I've only got aerosol brake cleaner unfortunately, could really do with some liquid stuff tbf!
Thanks given by:
theres something weird about all of those photos. either theyre all crap angles or your camera is strangely fish eye.
Thanks given by:
The aerosol will do the job spray it on a wipe with a rag of powerhose it off afterwards.
Thanks given by:
(24-05-2016, 10:13 PM)Eeyore Wrote: theres something weird about all of those photos. either theyre all crap angles or your camera is strangely fish eye.

It's the angles, was basically 'shit, take pictures quickly before the people return who's spaces I've borrowed as they aren't covered in gear oil'... Wink

But srsly, I've updated the pics to a better order with a couple that aren't rushed shite.

(24-05-2016, 10:14 PM)ConorTRG Wrote: The aerosol will do the job spray it on a wipe with a rag of powerhose it off afterwards.

Have you seen the price of it? No way am I wasting that on the floor! lmao
Thanks given by:
I get it fairly cheap so use it on everything lol
Thanks given by: