What type of diesel fuel?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What type of diesel fuel?
(20-06-2016, 09:38 AM)Niall Wrote:
(16-06-2016, 06:11 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Mine is also oddly high this week...more to do with the weather than the fuel I think!!  Despite using the ac most of the time now.

Sorry but im really not convinced that AC makes a blind bit of difference to fuel economy on more modern cars. Ive done comparisons on all of mine and honestly cant tell the difference so i just leave the air con on all the time!

Maybe in your nice modern company cars... Tongue

I do notice a difference with it on in the Focus, the instant mpg doubles from 0.1g/h to 0.2g/h idling in traffic...not much overall I suppose but it does make a difference. I also notice the MPG is worse while cruising with it on, yesterday I cruised to the show with it off and mpg was steadily rising, cruised home with it on at the same speed and the MPG was dropping most of the way lol. The main issue I have with leaving it on is the amount of power it takes though!! Honestly feels like hitting the brakes when turning it on in both the Focus and Fiesta, and the Focus is slow enough at speed as it is lol.

Maybe it is better in newer cars, my Mum uses hers constantly and still averages 55mpg from a 1.2 petrol which is kinda annoying lol. But maybe Toseland has a point as well, she has climate which I guess you do? I've got the crappy manual AC in mine.

(20-06-2016, 10:04 AM)toseland Wrote: I used to be able to turn the AC on with the temp on full in the winter in my first fiesta. beautiful for clearning the windscreen but a pain in the ass if you forgot to turn it off.

Its a Fiesta...use the Quickclear!! Takes seconds to clear the screen, quicker than waiting for the AC system and probably uses less power as well.
Thanks given by:
You realise the majority of climate control systems have no regulation over the performance of the AC side of things right? The compressor is either running or its not. Theres no in between. The temperature regulation is done by mixer flaps between the air blowing over the AC condenser and the heater matrix. So regardless of if you have climate control or not, it will still use the same amount of extra fuel with the AC on....which i'm convinced is so little its not even worth thinking about Wink
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
So having put BP in a couple of times. Both times the car feels like it runs much smoother than both shell, esso, texaco etc. Filling with BP whenever I can.

The additive packs do make plenty of difference. For example there are simple things like lubricants, dispersants (For making the diesel a finer mist when injected) cetane boosters etc.

BP seems to feel noticeably smoother and the engine runs so quiet as well.
Thanks given by:
(06-04-2016, 05:44 PM)MY95 Wrote: Our HDI's really aren't a fussy engine with oil used for oil changes or oil at the pumps I don't think, ran mine on Tesco 95% of the time and ive had no issues, I think with our HDI's any benefit your getting from using Shell etc is mainly in your head. They aren't a performance diesel anyway.

likewise, 99% supermarket.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Bleuuughhh haha. To be honest there are no supermarket ones near me so I rarely go near one to buy fuel from them anyway.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front mounting 306 diesel fuel cooler boggs 26 6,262 27-10-2016, 07:52 AM
Last Post: maxaret
  Diesel Fuel Additive Treatment best ever shazilla 17 6,972 22-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Last Post: craig306