XUD build options

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XUD build options
With my 306 in the garage i'm trying to decide how far to go all(ish) or nothing?? 

As it needs a new turbo i feel i may as well go for an upgrade probably be abit of a sheep and go for gt20....
i would like to go for a vnt but not quite sure im up to mapping it orrr i think dum-dum or piggy posted a video where it seemed the vanes were operated mechanically via the waste gate it was said whilst it wasn't as good as full vnt it was better than waste-gated..... interesting...

I'm also planning on rebuilding the engine with an oil cooler, RHR rods and ARP head-bolts.

so my questions are:
Im trying to get my head around compressor maps, any tips in finding good a compatible turbo?
is it worth me trying to learn how to set up a VNT and mapping it? anyone done it?
the video? is this the "boost can" method?
or 
do I just get another T2 and sack off the rods and bolts and have the car back on the road sooner?
although I feel ill be back at it before long to replace the turbo then i guess when i blow a rod or the head ill back again......
Thanks given by:
gt20 isnt a sheep at all. bloody good turbo that. What you seem to be asking is what to do with YOUR car. seems a bit odd imo. is it used as a daily? is it used as a weekend toy? do you do a lot of motorway miles? all these things should be taken into consideration when building YOUR car. come back with what you are gonna use it for etc and im sure we can help. failing that loof through the projects section, there are LOADS AND LOADS of diffrent setups on there all with details
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
ahh yes i guess that would help im getting new daily for now but i would like to return to having the 306 as my daily (once its fixed) and i think i would be happy with about 170bhp i just dont want to be changing the engine every X miles hence the bolts and rods.
Thanks given by:
Would it be worth collating the basic options and putting them all on the guides page to make it easier for anyone new to find the information? After a standard type "all information provided as a guide, all modifications at own risk etc" things like:

Rough price guide for an engine refresh and what to check for before going nuts with turbos,

Which of the "normal upgrade options" work best with 9/10/11mm pumps,

When it would normally be considered worth upgrading to HDi rods/ £400 Chinese forged rods/ £700 bombproof forged rods.

What combination of modifications or guideline power levels are risky without arp studs

The best head gasket type to use

What the options are for controlling a vnt setup,

I'm not saying that it needs to be a full step by step type guide but it could give the basics and make it much easier for people to then go on and search out relevant further reading. It's all on the forum but it can be a bit tricky to find the right information when you're not sure what to look for and it's easy to get carried away with planning big turbos and chasing peak power numbers but forgetting that there are a lot of supporting mods needed to back them up.
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2015, 06:56 PM)blinkyeatu Wrote: With my 306 in the garage i'm trying to decide how far to go all(ish) or nothing?? 

As it needs a new turbo i feel i may as well go for an upgrade probably be abit of a sheep and go for gt20....
i would like to go for a vnt but not quite sure im up to mapping it orrr i think dum-dum or piggy posted a video where it seemed the vanes were operated mechanically via the waste gate it was said whilst it wasn't as good as full vnt it was better than waste-gated..... interesting...

I'm also planning on rebuilding the engine with an oil cooler, RHR rods and ARP head-bolts.

so my questions are:
Im trying to get my head around compressor maps, any tips in finding good a compatible turbo?
is it worth me trying to learn how to set up a VNT and mapping it? anyone done it?
the video? is this the "boost can" method?
or 
do I just get another T2 and sack off the rods and bolts and have the car back on the road sooner?
although I feel ill be back at it before long to replace the turbo then i guess when i blow a rod or the head ill back again......

GT2256v - Just make up a 'boost can' setup
10mm Pump plus the extras - TBH just stick with a 9mm really to save hassle
ARP Headstuds - Can get away with this if the car doesn't get driven on the door handles
Full service the engine - Filters, half decent oil and a new Water pump, also I would as far as to dropping the sump to clean it out
Probably a clutch of some sort, a valeo will hold on just - I'd probably ram a CG friction plate again if they've sorted that rattle issue out.
and (something a lot of people don't have)....mechanical sympathy.

Can easily add a bigger bosch at a later stage, and ARP studs if you come across any.

Drive the f**k on.

That would peak near enough 200hp but still driveable.

Group of us did a number of miles around europe with an XUD9 with a GT2052v on a 100% stock block (no arps) drove fine because it wasn't driven on the door handles all the time.
Thanks given by:
170 you wont need to go vnt if you dont want a gt20 will sort that. As mr fish says to be fair though. I may throw together a FAQs page for xuds when i get chance.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XUD build turbo options Adam CD P1 16 10,170 26-12-2019, 07:03 AM
Last Post: monika16