Rounded Torx Removal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rounded Torx Removal
Evening,

What's the easiest way to remove a rounded Torx bolt? It's properly tight - as in 3ft breaker bar on mole grips won't budge it kinda tight... Confused Eventually they just slip it with a lot of weight being a round head outside. Potentially been cross-threaded but hopefully not.

I'm guessing either cut a slit in the head with the Dremel or cut the headoff and try to mole grip the remaining threads? Really don't want to have to drill it!

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
TNT works well, that or lots and lots of heat, weld a nut to it? i dunno really, anything that stuck i usually bin or attck with hammers
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
do the molegrips spin because they cant get enough grip?

when i got bolts stuck in the roofbar holses i used a chisel and hammer to start undoing the bolt.
Thanks given by:
got a pic of it? Just so we can see access etc.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
What are you up to Tom? Lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Could try easy outs , had good results in the past using them
Cherry red 205 XUD VNT - Project thread here http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=25522
Thanks given by:
depending on what it is fixing will change the way you deal with it

picture would help a lot

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
bang a 6 sided socket over it
weld to it
hammer and chisel
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
hammer and chisels always a good shout... heat helps too, depending on location obviously! I usually heat them, then beat the next size up torx bit in and that does the trick
Thanks given by:
More response than I expected on a Friday night lol! I'll try and give a bit more info, didn't think to take a pic at the time.

Its a clutch cover bolt, T40. Not really sure what's happened to it as they're not usually tight at all. Confused It's an internal torx so the outside of the head is rounded, no flat sides to grip with mole grips, extractors or bigger sockets

It's in a lightened fly so maybe dissimilar metals corroded or something? That's the reason I don't want to drill it either lol.
Thanks given by:
just weld a nut or bolt to it and have done with it.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
Don't have a welder lol. Wouldn't know how to use one if I did. lol
Thanks given by:
hammer chisel work it round i guess you have no welder

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Yeah that's looking like the best option to start with at least.
Thanks given by:
Or cut the clutch plate? Guessing you just want the lightened flywheel?
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Want to keep the clutch as well tbh, it's only about 18 months old and can't have covered many miles (albeit some track lol) so should still be good for a while.
Thanks given by:
Spiral bolt removal socket will do rounded torx. Or hammer and chisel
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
So, I'm sure you're all dying to know lol, it's out.

Hammer and chisel didn't have any effect. Continued with mole grips which just scuffed the head as they kept slipping. Tried hammering bigger Torx and Hex in, didn't work. Couldn't fit bolt extractor on with the clutch cover being so close. Then finally found a use for those imperial sockets lol, 1/2" socket smashed over the head well enough to start undo-ing it. Smile
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2015, 11:59 AM)Toms306 Wrote: So, I'm sure you're all dying to know lol, it's out.

Hammer and chisel didn't have any effect.  Continued with mole grips which just scuffed the head as they kept slipping.  Tried hammering bigger Torx and Hex in, didn't work. Couldn't fit bolt extractor on with the clutch cover being so close. Then finally found a use for those imperial sockets lol, 1/2" socket smashed over the head well enough to start undo-ing it. Smile

Heh, it's likely that all the impacts helped to persuade it too.
 I was going to suggest a Stillsons type pipe wrench. I bought a 15" pair when I knew I'd have to do my track rod ends, but didn't need it. Helped my neighbour with it for the same job on his car though.  ThumbsUp
WoW! That was cheap!  Inlove
Thanks given by:
Bit late, but if it's the last bolt, put the other ones back in to take a bit of the pressure off, undo the tightest one first.
Thanks given by:
Irwin Bolt Extractors are what you need for jobs like this - they're £20 odd for a set and they're brilliant things frankly when it comes to removing rounded off fixings ThumbsUp
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
I vote heat or welder.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2015, 02:16 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: Bit late, but if it's the last bolt, put the other ones back in to take a bit of the pressure off, undo the tightest one first.

It was the first one! I think it was just the spring tension causing the tightness though, nothing was crossthreaded. Some of the screws were tight in the clutch cover though, had to wind a couple of them out which seemed odd.

(07-12-2015, 04:01 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: Irwin Bolt Extractors are what you need for jobs like this - they're £20 odd for a set and they're brilliant things frankly when it comes to removing rounded off fixings ThumbsUp

I have a set, there wasn't enough space to fit one so close to the clutch cover protrusion though. Sad That's the reason we had to use HDi bolts in this (I may well have slipped this one removing it previously) as the 1.8 bolts used normal heads which were too big. Any idea if XU10 clutch bolts are the same as DW10 ones? If they're really cheap new it might be a good idea to replace the set this time.
Thanks given by:
No they're different - XU10 bolts are M7x1 thread and XU7 and HDi are M8x1.25 thread.

However, you should be able to easily pick up some M8 high tensile cap head bolts from any fastener supplier for pennies.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Hmm, that's interesting. I'm not sure which ones the lightened fly was designed to take in that case. Confused
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to remove rounded bleed nipples (courtesy of Tom306)? silverzx 21 11,000 07-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Last Post: ConorTRG