Test Rig for Tow Bar Electrics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test Rig for Tow Bar Electrics
Well, what a ball ache of a few days i have had. 

So, monday night the missus says, tomorrow can you fit the tow bar to the Boxer.... (Its only been sat there for 6 months..) 

now it would not be too bad, but where we have a hydralic lift in there, they modified the floor with extra brackets, hoses, and earthing points. Lots of fiddling and grinding later its fitted, so Tuesday night i set out to do the electrics. 

No problem, Wednesday morning go to pick up a rented trailer, and guess what, no power. These stupid little boxes they give you....... so i took it out, and had power, not alot, but enough to get me out of trouble. 

It turns out, that according to the instructions, White which they say is reverse, is in fact earth....... so tonight i made a small test rig, It only tests indicators, side, and brake lights 

But i had the litle amplifier box re-wired in and all working with in an hour thanks to this little rig, 

so, if any one in the local area (Eastleigh and surrounding areas) wants to borrow it, feel free Smile its saved me going and getting another trailer to test my electrics. Now i know they work perfectly and as described on the packet.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
i always find towing electrics complete balls. The 306 i wired myself and the plug corroded. Eventually i modified it so 10 ft of cable lived in the boot and could be passed through the hole behind the drivers side arch. On the saab it was plug and play but it doesnt work with LED boards. When i fitted it i thought it didnt work but it actually turned out to be the two lighting boards i had which were crap. its never ending!
Thanks given by:
I did one some years ago, clear box, 6 bulbs & holders, cable & plug. simples lol
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Pretty neat, any photos of the little rig you made? A few weeks ago I basically re-wired my trailer from scratch, was a bit of a nightmare as its a German trailer which doesn't follow the regular wiring colours, got there in the end though, so much better. In general, trailer electrics are always rubbish!
Thanks given by:
i'll get on up asap (watch this space - - - tumbleweed)
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Trailer boards are about £14/15. ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2015, 09:01 PM)Eeyore Wrote: i always find towing electrics complete balls. The 306 i wired myself and the plug corroded. Eventually i modified it so 10 ft of cable lived in the boot and could be passed through the hole behind the drivers side arch. On the saab it was plug and play but it doesnt work with LED boards. When i fitted it i thought it didnt work but it actually turned out to be the two lighting boards i had which were crap. its never ending!

Theres alot of cars that dont work with leds.. Did you have flashing indicators all the time etc? Pain in the arse, especially when we hitch up a hire trailer, check the lights and they are all to f*ck lol.

Is it a proper kit on the saab or hard wired?
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2015, 07:19 AM)Seb_Ryan Wrote:
(02-12-2015, 09:01 PM)Eeyore Wrote: i always find towing electrics complete balls. The 306 i wired myself and the plug corroded. Eventually i modified it so 10 ft of cable lived in the boot and could be passed through the hole behind the drivers side arch. On the saab it was plug and play but it doesnt work with LED boards. When i fitted it i thought it didnt work but it actually turned out to be the two lighting boards i had which were crap. its never ending!

Theres alot of cars that dont work with leds.. Did you have flashing indicators all the time etc? Pain in the arse, especially when we hitch up a hire trailer, check the lights and they are all to f*ck lol.

Is it a proper kit on the saab or hard wired?

its a proper plug and play kit. Lighting board said it would work but clearly doesnt
Thanks given by:
You can get a different module for it, or resistors in the lights of trailer.. Its to do with the leds not drawing enough off the canbuc system, was it a green wire fed to obd port or different one?
Thanks given by:
here's a cheap ready-made tester. cheaper still without the 13-pin adapters.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-13-Pin-...SwMmBV6rQB
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
http://www.towsure.com/7-pin-socket-tester-12-volt

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
(03-12-2015, 10:04 AM)cully Wrote: http://www.towsure.com/7-pin-socket-tester-12-volt

same thing, similar price. Uk seller Smile
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Proper plug and kits are best tbh, used one on the Golf, so quick and easy compared to splicing individual wires. Confused
Thanks given by:
See this was a specific kit for the Boxer, but the boxer does not have any plugs for the trailers in the rear, so i had no choice but to soft wire it in first

By soft, i use the splice clips, these are not great, but ok for testing. once it works as i like, it then gets hard wired in, Soldered and heat shrink. Smile No chance of a loose connection then.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
images as promised;

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2015, 05:54 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: images as promised;

ThumbsUp simple, effective, i like it Smile

got to love the old lamp holders from electronics club Smile
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
(03-12-2015, 07:23 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote:
(03-12-2015, 05:54 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: images as promised;

ThumbsUp simple, effective, i like it Smile

got to love the old lamp holders from electronics club Smile

all life should be that way Angel
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
my little rig, is quite literally, the rear light cluster from an old moped ive got in the back garden lol. no where near as cool as that Smile
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
(03-12-2015, 08:51 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote: my little rig, is quite literally, the rear light cluster from an old moped ive got in the back garden lol. no where near as cool as that Smile

got a pic? Itwasntme
and if I can find it, a battery powered 'opposite 1/2'
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2015, 05:18 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote: See this was a specific kit for the Boxer, but the boxer does not have any plugs for the trailers in the rear, so i had no choice but to soft wire it in first

By soft, i use the splice clips, these are not great, but ok for testing. once it works as i like, it then gets hard wired in, Soldered and heat shrink. Smile No chance of a loose connection then.

Specific kits just plug into the rear light clusters with the cars loom then plugging into them, or at least the Golf ones did. I know there's no specific kit for the 306 unfortunately though.
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2015, 09:55 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(03-12-2015, 05:18 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote: See this was a specific kit for the Boxer, but the boxer does not have any plugs for the trailers in the rear, so i had no choice but to soft wire it in first

Specific kits just plug into the rear light clusters with the cars loom then plugging into them, or at least the Golf ones did. I know there's no specific kit for the 306 unfortunately though.

Stuff from 2007 onwards doesn't.. Its all canbus (apart from cheap new cars which aint) 3 wires max plus 2 or 3 powers..

Most of the time the canbus is at the ecu, fords are easy and are all in the back though lol

New skoda Octavia are right twats, have to take half the dashboard out yo repin 2 ecus and fusebox lol
Thanks given by:
Ah I see, I'd just buy a car with a towbar tbh. lol Don't think the Focus uses the CAN for lights? Theres no bulb out warning anyway, unlike the Vectra. Sad What do the dealers do if someone wants a towbar from new though, surely they don't have to go to all that hassle? I imagine a lot of Octavia drivers want them! Confused
Thanks given by:
I had mine fitted by an independent fitter.
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2015, 10:07 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Ah I see, I'd just buy a car with a towbar tbh. lol Don't think the Focus uses the CAN for lights? Theres no bulb out warning anyway, unlike the Vectra. Sad What do the dealers do if someone wants a towbar from new though, surely they don't have to go to all that hassle? I imagine a lot of Octavia drivers want them! Confused

They come to people like where i work..we do fords, vags, psa, vauxhall, bmw and nissan from dealers lol

Next time you have the boot apart behind the nearside side panel/carpet where fusebox is, theres 2 plugs and thats for wiring lol

Only about 220 quid for yours iirc

And only 20 mins to fit when there's 2 of us on it lol
Thanks given by:
I just use a multimeter, but then its simpler on old stuff. Wired up the 190E by just tapping in to the rear light cluster. The 406 had a bar when I got it but the socket didn't work, turns out it was corroded. Fitted a new socket and covered it in thin grease, works fine every time.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Damaged electrics, possibly relay?? windrushelectrical 0 1,171 08-07-2019, 10:05 PM
Last Post: windrushelectrical
  last "whats this for" on electrics pug306driver 3 1,524 18-02-2016, 09:30 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Headlight Issue-B*stard Electrics at it again... Pug0BZ3011 11 3,888 04-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Last Post: powerandtorque