Driver footwell damp HELP!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driver footwell damp HELP!
Footwell is damp on driver side, it leaves your fingers sticky and greasy and smells strange, can't see where it's coming from at all. It's on the rubber mat that's underneath the pedals and it's damp around it. Could well be the drains on the car blocked, I can see a few leaves in there but i'm hoping it's not the heater matrix as the whole dash comes out to change it!  Undecided

Any help is much appreciated Smile
1.9 diesel Phase 2 - scrapped
1.8 meridian Phase 3 - going strong!
Thanks given by:
Sticky, greasy and smelly on the drivers side sounds like brake fluid! Confused Have a look up at the pedal area.
Thanks given by:
(26-11-2015, 09:13 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Sticky, greasy and smelly on the drivers side sounds like brake fluid! Confused  Have a look up at the pedal area.

See I thought the same thing, or power steering fluid because it doesn't have a texture like coolant or washer fluid. If it's brake fluid where would it be coming from do you think? also I've not noticed anything different in the brake pedal in feel like pressure etc, feels ok.
Thanks given by:
I was wondering where the estate rear screen wash pipe route is, as it sometimes doesn't work straight away, as if the feed pipe to the rear wash was empty, ? and the cotton car seat cover always seem to be damp ish ? No damp patches on the carpets though?
Thanks given by:
Power steering fluid isn't really in that area. If it was brake fluid would be coming from a leaking master cylinder and running down the pedal linkage but I'm pretty sure you'd feel that in the pedal. Try soaking it up on some white kitchen roll to see what colour it is.

Washer pipe runs up the A pillar on the drivers side and along the roof the tailgate.
Thanks given by: PugRory
(27-11-2015, 12:59 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Power steering fluid isn't really in that area.  If it was brake fluid would be coming from a leaking master cylinder and running down the pedal linkage but I'm pretty sure you'd feel that in the pedal.  Try soaking it up on some white kitchen roll to see what colour it is.

Washer pipe runs up the A pillar on the drivers side and along the roof the tailgate.

I'll double chekc the brake pedal for fluid, it's not brake fluid or PAS fluid coloured... which makes me think it's the heater matrix again, keeps coming back to my mind and I don't like it haha!
Thanks given by:
Lol, it's not unusual on these unfortunately!

Put the heaters of full and see if it gets steamy in there. Usually get an odd burnt rubbery sort of smell as well with matrix.
Thanks given by:
(27-11-2015, 03:41 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Lol, it's not unusual on these unfortunately!

Put the heaters of full and see if it gets steamy in there.  Usually get an odd burnt rubbery sort of smell as well with matrix.

I've actually stopped using the heaters for a few days, dried it up and without using the heaters seeing if it comes back. if it doesn't appear again I can assume its the matrix. if I turn the heaters back on and i get fluid again = Heater matrix.. it always happens when the weather gets cold and horrible, awkward cars!
Thanks given by:
Doesn't really work like that, the heater matrix is full of hot water whether you use the heaters or not. All you're doing is moving a flap so air either comes straight in OR gets directed over the matrix first. So not using heaters shouldn't stop a matrix leak...
Washer pipe runs up the A pillar on the drivers side and along the roof the tailgate. thanks tom.

heater question, leakage, does the radiator expansion tank coolant level go down and need continual topping up, if so then may be a matrix leak. if not, then liquid coming from somewhere else. determine what the liquid is......does the brake fluid level go down and needs topping up also??
is the carpet simply dirty, and you have a bulkhead drain blocked underneath the wiper motor? mine is full of crap and there is water running down

did this "wet" coincide with the recent bad ran we ahve been having?
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks guys, Drain was blocked with leaves and all sorts. Hopefully that's problem solved, Coolant level stays pretty much the same so I'm happy it's not coolant
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another wet passenger footwell Stevers 2 1,989 10-02-2021, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Stevers
  Wet Passenger Footwell, no coolant loss.... BikeJake68 2 3,129 12-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  Electrical burning smell and smoke in passenger footwell DeeTurbo 11 2,166 20-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo