Few engine related questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Few engine related questions
I brought a 306 d turbo but the headgasket seems to be blown so I am going to rebuild it and tune it

My questions are

Where's the best place to get a full headgasket kit?

Would the head need to be skimmed or should I get a recon head (maybe tuned head if such thing?)?

Where do must people go or ask to get a gearbox mounted turbo setup? (Am going for a td04 turbo setup)

Is there any guides to show me how to build a 11mm pump and fit it to engine that has a Lucas?

How easy is it to convert a estate to disc brakes?

Sorry for all the questions thanks in advance
Thanks given by:
Head gasket kit either ebay or motor factors, youll want timing belt kit aswell.

Head may need to be skimmed, depends if its warped or not, definitely take it to an engine place for pressure test and see if it needs to be skimmed.

I wouldnt bother gearbox mounting a td04 as itll be very laggy tbf and can fit down the back anyway

Search for the 11mm guide there is one about somewhere

And youd need a disc rear beam and different handbrake cables and brake lines made up

I think that covers it lol
Thanks given by:
Yeah basically what he said. Most people who box mount turbos are because they are to big to fit down the back. Or they are show offs.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Am aiming for big power and figured a td04 was the way to go but I really don't want a lot of lag lol
Thanks given by:
Then you want a vnt.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
What td04 turbos do people use VW Saab scooby? and what size/adaptor plates to people use ?
Thanks given by:
Scooby generally. Can make good power with one. A lot of fun.

You really need to do a bit more searching of the forum archives, there are plenty of people who have done what you are intending. Myself included.
I got all the information needed to do it myself from the forum, the knowledge is out there.

A lot of pictures have been lost from the forum so that may hinder you slightly.
But I'm sure administration are working their hearts out to get them back. Maybe.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
Thanks everyone for the information, can't wait to get started the weather is hindering me at the moment and the fact I don't have a garage and doing this in a residents car park makes things slightly more harder lol
Thanks given by:
(19-11-2015, 07:28 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: Scooby generally.  Can make good power with one. A lot of fun.

You really need to do a bit more searching of the forum archives,  there are plenty of people who have done what you are intending. Myself included.  
I got all the information needed to do it myself from the forum,  the knowledge is out there.

A lot of pictures have been lost from the forum so that may hinder you slightly.
But I'm sure administration are working their hearts out to get them back. Maybe.

Well I just bought one but guy won't post it. I was going to get the td04l think the front mounted turbo but my main question is there any adaptor plates for sale or if someone can make me one and what else I would need to fit it on or is it just the adaptor plate?
Thanks given by:
cj knocked up a load of adaptor plates an age ago before i was really active on here. there a few knocking about but you will be lucky to find one. as far as i know there is no one currently making them so youll have to diy it
Thanks given by:
(19-11-2015, 07:59 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: cj knocked up a load of adaptor plates an age ago before i was really active on here. there a few knocking about but you will be lucky to find one. as far as i know there is no one currently making them so youll have to diy it

Any ideas what would be needed ? Drilling or a plate making ? If I have to get a plate made I may get a couple made
Thanks given by:
(19-11-2015, 08:16 PM)ashdturb Wrote:
(19-11-2015, 07:59 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: cj knocked up a load of adaptor plates an age ago before i was really active on here. there a few knocking about but you will be lucky to find one. as far as i know there is no one currently making them so youll have to diy it

Any ideas what would be needed ? Drilling or a plate making ? If I have to get a plate made I may get a couple made

Need 2 plates iirc, one for manifold to turbo and one from turbo to exhaust elbow
Thanks given by:
you can make plates up out of 6mm steel - offcuts from steel holders should be cheap enough

Possible to lashup with a vice, drill, appropriate size holecutter, tap for threads, some bolts and a hacksaw. Better yet if you have a grinder and an air powered die grinder.

laser cut plates will be expensive unless you're buying a bunch, and i can't see people being interested
Thanks given by:
Strap a more efficient blower on there anyway. A gt2052 or 2056s can be found for similar prices if you dig about.
Thanks given by:
Ive seen one of those for sale on Facebook but the bloke isn't back in the country until December.

Also heard some have been know to blow head gaskets with the gt2052?
Thanks given by:
(22-11-2015, 06:35 AM)ashdturb Wrote: Ive seen one of those for sale on Facebook but the bloke isn't back in the country until December.

Also heard some have been know to blow head gaskets with the gt2052?
If thats teddy then thats my old turbo.
If you rag them to much it will lift the head. Ideally you want arps
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  engine rebuild questions blinkyeatu 1 1,319 03-03-2015, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Dave
  306 1.9 TD DTurbo XUD9 engine replace questions ECU shazilla 33 13,377 09-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Last Post: shazilla
  Xantia engine questions Frosty 30 5,820 27-03-2014, 12:02 PM
Last Post: ally406