Evans Halshaw

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evans Halshaw
Just after some advice following a recent car purchase from Evans Halshaw. I'll keep is a brief as possible. 

Bought a Vectra from Evans Halshaw in Rotherham. On the test drive the tracking was out but as part of the deal this was to be done. Picked it up noticed on the way home tracking wasn't done, had a misfire, knock at the front and rear brakes in poor condition. Phoned to complain, got it booked into my local Evans Halshaw. They told me it needs new rear brakes, glow plugs, a coil spring and maybe injectors. I phoned Rotherham to inform them. They wanted the car back to fix it them self. It's been there since Wednesday and still isn't finished. They can't find a fault with the misfire. They have supplied a courtesy vehicle. I purchased a 12 month warranty with the car. 

The rear brakes and broken spring are MOT Fails yet it was MOT'd 2 weeks prior to me purchasing it.

I think my options are...... 

Once fixed, collect the car. Hope it is all ok. Try and blag a free MOT and Service. 

Refuse to take delivery of the car and demand my money back. 

Seek legal advise and try get some compensation out of them. 
Thanks given by:
2 weeks is a long time for Vectra springs tbh... I had one genuinely break days after the MOT... Confused

I don't think you'll get your money back. You have to give them the chance to fix it. If they do, there's not much you can do tbh.
Thanks given by:
I was under the impression I could refuse delivery of the vehicle as its not fit for purpose?
Thanks given by:
Erm... option 2 and 3...

who did the MOT? if it was them i would be speaking to VOSA tbh, or at least telling them you're going to be speaking to VOSA

the missfire will likely be a vacuum leak, it wont throw codes but will make it run like a bag of shit, my friend had it with his disastra!

mum had a focus from a ford dealership in huntingdon where we used to live.. it was genuinly immaculate.. went in for its service as part of her payment service plan thing, came back with a smashed front bumper grille, and dents and scuffs on most of the bumper's paintwork.. looked like it had been used as a dodgem.

they paid for a FULL respray and all the parts after it was indicated that she worked for a solicitors office.. so try your luck

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/p...-my-rights << is a good place to start

"Second hand car from a dealer

When you buy a second hand car from a dealer, you have the right, under both the Consumer Rights Act (which replaces the Sale of Goods Act from 01 October 2015), to expect the car to:
be of satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage)
meet any description given to you when you were buying it ( whether in the advert or in discussions prior to sale)
be fit for the purpose (for example, to get you from A to B safely)
If the second hand car does not meet these requirements, you have the right to claim against the dealer for breach of contract.
If something you buy is not 'as described', or if the seller is guilty of misrepresentation, you're entitled to:
give the second hand car back and get your money back
if you want to keep the car, ask for compensation (usually the cost of any repairs it needs)
But if you buy a second hand car that was not described as being in excellent condition or good working order and it breaks soon after you buy it, you don't have any right to reject it or to claim compensation."
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2015, 08:18 PM)306carter Wrote: I was under the impression I could refuse delivery of the vehicle as its not fit for purpose?

Not now you've given it to them to fix, particularly if they do fix it this time. As I say, you have to give them the chance to fix it under sale of goods. If they still haven't fixed it then yeah you can give it back and expect money back, but I doubt they're that daft.

Probably best asking CAB or similar though tbh.
Thanks given by:
The MOT was done by Evans Halshaw. I have notice on the MOT check online that it failed the MOT because of a broken spring. Now alarms bells are ringing.... has the spring been forgotten like the tracking. Yet the MOT has been passed? I'm yet to find out which spring has been replaced. They seem to very vague with me over the phone.
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2015, 08:05 PM)306carter Wrote: Just after some advice following a recent car purchase from Evans Halshaw. I'll keep is a brief as possible. 

Bought a Vectra from Evans Halshaw in Rotherham. On the test drive the tracking was out but as part of the deal this was to be done. Picked it up noticed on the way home tracking wasn't done, had a misfire, knock at the front and rear brakes in poor condition. Phoned to complain, got it booked into my local Evans Halshaw. They told me it needs new rear brakes, glow plugs, a coil spring and maybe injectors. I phoned Rotherham to inform them. They wanted the car back to fix it them self. It's been there since Wednesday and still isn't finished. They can't find a fault with the misfire. They have supplied a courtesy vehicle. I purchased a 12 month warranty with the car. 

The rear brakes and broken spring are MOT Fails yet it was MOT'd 2 weeks prior to me purchasing it.

I think my options are...... 

Once fixed, collect the car. Hope it is all ok. Try and blag a free MOT and Service. 

Refuse to take delivery of the car and demand my money back. 

Seek legal advise and try get some compensation out of them. 
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/p...-my-rights
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What? No Evans thread? Danny Wideboy 18 2,232 07-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Last Post: procta
  Evans Top Gear Se1 Ep3 Discussion Dum-Dum 5 1,497 12-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Last Post: Sambarker
  Evans Top Gear Se1 Ep2 Discussion Dum-Dum 29 4,047 09-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Last Post: r3k1355