1.6 Exhaust Manfold Crack

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.6 Exhaust Manfold Crack
Hi guys,

Friend of mine has what the garage described as "hairline cracks" in the exhaust manifold. What are these manifolds made out of? Are they suitable for welding? Having trouble finding replacements, can only find GTi-6 manfolds.

Cheers
Thanks given by:
They are cast. Ive welded a few. If you are lucky they usually crack on top. Remove heatshield. Clean down. Get hot by running the car then weld. I got caught out once and warped one welding on the bench so always best to weld on car or bolted to spare head\jig.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
They're cast. The 1.4 manifolds should be the same IIRC if you're having trouble find a 1.6 one.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
You shouldnt have trouble finding a 1.6 manifold. There re loads of 1.6s and they are always being binned or scrapped as nobody wants them. Also the manifold is at the front of the tu engines so should be easy to work on or replace!
Thanks given by:
Are these the same as Saxo VTRs etc
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
depends if its 8v or 16v?
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2015, 02:34 PM)matt16v Wrote: Hi guys,

Friend of mine has what the garage described as "hairline cracks" in the exhaust manifold. What are these manifolds made out of? Are they suitable for welding? Having trouble finding replacements, can only find GTi-6 manfolds.

Cheers

recalled this from watching Wheeler Dealers -
http://stitchweld.co.uk/
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
10x more money than buying another manifold Big Grin

I've got one here but it's a bit of a roadtrip Tongue
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2015, 09:18 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote:

Cheers

Stitch welding is not for cast pipes. it will not work because of the profile. Stitch is expensive to do, and very time consuming. I should know, the amount of times i stitched up motor casings.  (electric motors from before the land of time.....) 

Cast is weldable, but as previously mentioned, it needs to be hot to accept the weld or you will crack it again. Any half decent welder will be able to do the work quite quickly, as long as the crack is visible, and easy to get to. you will be lucky if the cracks are on the top or front of the manifold, but if they are underneath, you will need to brace the manifold, and bolt it to something flat to prevent it warping. Which is always a risk if not braced and bolted. Smile
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
(17-10-2015, 12:40 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote:
(10-10-2015, 09:18 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote:

Cheers

Stitch welding is not for cast pipes. it will not work because of the profile. Stitch is expensive to do, and very time consuming. I should know, the amount of times i stitched up motor casings.  (electric motors from before the land of time.....) 

Cast is weldable, but as previously mentioned, it needs to be hot to accept the weld or you will crack it again. Any half decent welder will be able to do the work quite quickly, as long as the crack is visible, and easy to get to. you will be lucky if the cracks are on the top or front of the manifold, but if they are underneath, you will need to brace the manifold, and bolt it to something flat to prevent it warping. Which is always a risk if not braced and bolted. Smile

cool, I've learned something new Smile
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Just about any scrappy in the land will have a 206 Tu or 306 or saxo or xsara, tape measure in hand go get one but defo check for cracks on any you find!
Iirc there will be some variants with cat directly below so measure overall length and all flanges twice, yours and donors!
Thanks given by: