Broken cam pulley?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken cam pulley?
anyone ever come across a broken cam pulley on an hdi before???  Was doing the cam belt change on mine today and came to locking off the cam to find that the backing plate has come loose from the pulley body. Looking at my options here I have to remove the pulley and either remove the plate completely or weld it back together unless someone can get me a spare pulley by monday :/  ill post a video once I've uploaded it.

Massive setback in what was meant to be a few hours work and pretty annoyed about the situation
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2015, 05:20 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: anyone ever come across a broken cam pulley on an hdi before???  Was doing the cam belt change on mine today and came to locking off the cam to find that the backing plate has come loose from the pulley body. Looking at my options here I have to remove the pulley and either remove the plate completely or weld it back together unless someone can get me a spare pulley by monday :/  ill post a video once I've uploaded it.

Massive setback in what was meant to be a few hours work and pretty annoyed about the situation

Remind me tomorrow and I'll have a look for you, pretty sure I have one somewhere. PMd you my number
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
https://youtu.be/yFfSG_exn0Y
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Had that on my spare engine, iirc it was caused by someone being a thick twunt with a lever bar lol. I imagine it could be caused by trying to turn the engine over with the locking pins still in.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(20-09-2015, 06:36 AM)TPoodle Wrote: Had that on my spare engine, iirc it was caused by someone being a thick twunt with a lever bar lol. I imagine it could be caused by trying to turn the engine over with the locking pins still in.

Guess it could have gone at any moment then :/ kind of lucky it broke when it did then really. Still bloody annoying though

Find a new pulley and go from there then?
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by: