What to check on a car which has been parked for a while

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to check on a car which has been parked for a while
Right so my 306 has been parked for over 2 months as I've been driving my other car.

I'm thinking of putting it back on the road again but wanted an opinion on what things to check on a car which has been parked for a while.

So far what I've done is:
Checked oil and all other fluids

Checked tyre preasure

Jump started the car and left it running for around half an hour to get some charge in the battery

Before I start driving it properly it is getting treated to a full service including timing belt.

The main issue I have is a seized rear brake I know I should have left the hand brake off but I wasn't expecting it to sit there for so long.

Anything else that you guys recommend checking? It is running pretty sweet apart from the siezed brake. At first the power felt pretty flat as if there was turbo related problems but that seems to be ok now too after giving it a good drive (this could be because I'm used to an e320 merc and could be all in my head lol).

Oh the gears seem very stiff especially from 1st to 2nd could this be due to it being parked for some time
Thanks given by:
Rear beam, clear all your gutters and drains if near trees and always from now on unless your on a hill leave your car in gear and not on the handbrake! :-(
Thanks given by:
(16-09-2015, 11:40 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: Rear beam, clear all your gutters and drains if near trees and always from now on unless your on a hill leave your car in gear and not on the handbrake! :-(
Cheers bud. What am I looking for on the rear beam just the usual camber and making sure the beams straight
Thanks given by:
To make sure the axle hasnt seized
Thanks given by:
Creeks and squeaks, rise and fall under load and not!
Callipers usually seize but more often than not its the handbrake lever/ actuator arm on the rear calliper that seizes on with the handbrake being jacked so if you can free this you don't have to she'll out for a new calliper!(£50+)

Empty (almost) a tin of GT85 all over the handbrake lever on the calliper, try and gain some movement of the lever and try again the next day to be sure!

(16-09-2015, 11:45 PM)Moh Wrote:
(16-09-2015, 11:40 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: Rear beam, clear all your gutters and drains if near trees and always from now on unless your on a hill leave your car in gear and not on the handbrake! :-(
Cheers bud. What am I looking for on the rear beam just the usual camber and making sure the beams straight

Shouldn't have sold the 1.6 xs! You'll realise this in a couple of years! ;-)

On the gears, it could be the linkage underneath the gear lever as they're prone to seizing up but not usually after only 2 months laying up so check your clutch on a good drive if you can!
Thanks given by:
(17-09-2015, 12:02 AM)Redordead89 Wrote: Creeks and squeaks, rise and fall under load and not!
Callipers usually seize but more often than not its the handbrake lever/ actuator arm on the rear calliper that seizes on with the handbrake being jacked so if you can free this you don't have to she'll out for a new calliper!(£50+)

Empty (almost) a tin of GT85 all over the handbrake lever on the calliper, try and gain some movement of the lever and try again the next day to be sure!

(16-09-2015, 11:45 PM)Moh Wrote:

Shouldn't have sold the 1.6 xs! You'll realise this in a couple of years! ;-)
Ah cheers mate will look into this. Lol the XS was a forced sale, if I didn't need the cash at the time and had the funds to put that car right I would defiantly still have it :-(
Thanks given by:
Yeah bud I have a ph1 xsS so can appreciate if your missing it!
If the time comes again sell the Hdi! :-)
Thanks given by:
2 months?!? My volvo regularly gets ignored then driven, it hasnt died on me yet.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leaving a car parked up for long periods Iceman299 21 3,922 31-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Last Post: maxzy
  Car hit while parked, worth pursuing? lewisdmz 14 2,043 15-02-2015, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Niall