brake problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
brake problem
I have a problem when I brake the pedal goes hard. Rock hard. the brakes seem to stop the car. Anyone have any ideas.
Thanks given by:
servo? Vac hoses? Vac pump? (guessing here)
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
I bet I've dropped the seal when I unplugged pipe of vacuum pump when I fitted my fmic
Thanks given by:
If thats not the case, the flexi on the vac line may be split under the braid
Thanks given by:
I think its the pump as it barely sucked my finger on it. Does anyone know what vacuum I should see on a gauge ? I think for piece of mind I may just change the pipes for that reason ?
Thanks given by:
Does anyone know what vacuum the pump should be making ? I have a gauge to test it but cant find the info. Thanks
Thanks given by:
It should make a fair amount tbh

Should try n suck ya skin off like a hoover
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
A Hoover or a Dyson? Very different suction levels. Confused
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 08:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote: A Hoover or a Dyson?  Very different suction levels. Confused

lmao

Very true Wink
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 08:05 PM)Piggy Wrote: It should make a fair amount tbh

Hmmm not always. Generally they do not need huge amounts of vacuum to work effectively. You could probably suck on the pipe and they would work fine.
I would suspect if you have been bending the hose around its split.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Have you unplugged the pipe to the egr/air doser? Those need blanking well if you have, i had this problem because i'd used a screw that wasn't big/aggressive enough and it leaked.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
That was all removed years ago. I added some sealant to the screw I blocked pipe with. Il double check tho ?
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 08:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote: A Hooker or a Dyson? Very different suction levels. Confused

Lol
Thanks given by:
That sounds pretty sealed tbf lol, got a smoke machine? That'll test everything for leaks, i've seen a couple rust through on the metal pipes too, unlikely but something to bear in mind.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
This problem just started happening to me yesterday.

Could've sworn I heard a pop as I braked pulling up, and the pedal went rock hard, exactly the same as if you were pumping the pedal with the engine off.
No servo assistance until you pull off and apply some load to the engine, then it works again.
If you prolong engine overrun, say down a hill and apply the brakes lightly, you soon run out of vacuum and the brakes are crap by the time you actually need to stop.

Need to get this sorted, so will check vac pump/hoses/one-way-valve later on.

Is the vac pump the round thing above the gearbox on the end of the camshaft?
Looks like it only has the one connection, or is there another underneath that I can't see?

I guess if the servo diaphragm had gone, then you'd get no servo assistance at all?
Thanks given by:
could someone put up a picture/exploded view of the vac pump internals, its a rotor type puns has carbon vanes?? cam shaft driving...what drive type does it have, dog and bone or splines?? also how is it lubricated.

have heard some noise when engine cold and listening under bonnet, some noise but not much from that area on ours.....brakes are fine at the momentt thank god.

as this pump is pulling in air when brakes are off, past a valve and filter? in the servo, it dumps its "exhaust" and lub mist into cam cover/cam box?? will check when I get home.

this could explain the mass of "chuffing" I hear and see ( how=w can you see a chuff? ) when the oil filler cap is off.......will check that as well , wife press brakes and see difference......some may be oil mist from cam area and some may be blow-by, but engine very good on oil ( shell helix on offer in europarts at the time, so got 2 tins ) about 3/4 litre over 5ik miles, engine has two small leaks, rear crank area and turbo oil return pipe...

interestingly I will not use a pug oil filter again as it was loose the last time I checked ( oil light does not go out instantly after a few days ) oil dribble down oil cooler, also suspect iffy anti drain down valve on filter........Unipart one was great and instant oil light out after a few days on standing....

anyway back to topic....
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 08:13 PM)Niall Wrote:
(02-09-2015, 08:05 PM)Piggy Wrote: It should make a fair amount tbh

Hmmm not always. Generally they do not need huge amounts of vacuum to work effectively. You could probably suck on the pipe and they would work fine.
I would suspect if you have been bending the hose around its split.

can someone pop off a vac hose and tell me please?

my brakes feel pretty under servo'd - be good to rule vac pump out without swapping it over
Thanks given by:
I'll be home at 1, so will get out there and pop the hose off to see what I can find
Thanks given by:
I would love to know what vacuum it should be producing too ?
Thanks given by:
Well my vacuum pump was sucking like a Dutch hooker, so I checked the braided rubber hose that joins the pump to the metal line on the bulkhead.

Looked like this.....

[Image: 994403578e4b25fa8b387b19838a2bda.jpg]

Replaced it with some hose I had spare and boom, all good again.

Brakes are all together much better now so must have been leaking for a while [emoji106]
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2015, 01:41 PM)mad306man Wrote: Well my vacuum pump was sucking like a Dutch hooker

Good to know!
Thanks given by:
Dutch hooker is probably cheaper than a new vacuum pump to
Thanks given by:
Mine must be the pump then as it sucks like someone blowing lol
Thanks given by:
Thanks for updating, glad you got it fixed.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'd advise everyone to check/change that hose.

The braking improvement is colossal
Thanks given by:
Mine were all good so thinking the problem is the pump
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gti6 brake upgrade problem baz306 9 2,148 20-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Last Post: baz306
  Brake pad/caliper problem? Ricky 10 3,318 26-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Last Post: C2K