Upgrade from 306?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade from 306?
You can deadlock modern cars as well... Still break into them easy enough. Wink Just means you cant smash a window and pull the lock button up. That's noisy and messy anyway though, not the best way to break in!

I take it a stop lock is one of those that locks the wheel to the knob? Are 306s really worth stealing? lol One of my neighbours has an old Mercedes that parks right outside our place in a private car park and still fits one of those every night! lol Couldn't be arsed myself, no-one wants an old diesel Focus, might take more care if it was an RS. lol
Thanks given by:
All good points!
I know that I will probably want the 306 back but its just boring for me now, use it daily and its not that fun for me anymore, want something like the 306 but not a 306 lol and similar ish money too, has to be quick and good on juice, and cheap insurance for another matter, not much to ask ey lol  
Basically a newer 306 aha
Thanks given by:
There isn't anything like a 306 for the same money. That's why we all bought 306s in the first place. Wink

You will have to spend more to get anything worth changing for... Insurance tends to be cheaper on newer cars though so that should be easy enough. Good on juice and quick you want a PD130/150... 6 speed, no DPF, 55-60mpg everywhere...
Thanks given by:
Wouldn't say "replaced" but my current daily is my V50, can't fault it really, it's not the last word in "dynamic", but is a reasonably tidy steer, not much in the way of steering feedback, but then coming from a 306, there's not much that compares. The engine has always surprised me, I would never call it quick, but it is almost always adequate, only time you feel it's a bit breathless is up a medium speed steep hill,, although it's quite nice in the respect you can sit on the throttle out of a corner and know you're still not going to have to scrub off much speed before the next corner, they've seemingly calibrated the torque output per gear which is nice as it forces you to rev it out in lower gears... Suspension is soft, although I'm tempted to try a stiffer ARB on the rear and see how it goes, but the softness isn't wallowy, it feels like you're keeping contact with the road, unlike a lot of cars that have "sports suspension" which seemingly is license to royally f*ck the suspension... As something you take down an imperfect road, you don't have to be worried about anything unsettling it.

Took it across Dartmoor yesterday on my way home... OK - it wasn't the fastest thing, but I was having a riot behind the wheel - plus nobody expects it D:
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
That's the thing, the 306 is seriously good VFM. And the next upgrade up from the 306 for me ive thought was always the Fabia VRS, they don't come with DPF you say?
Ford Puma 1.7 16v raved about and good on juice, Focus 1.8TDCI 115, Dunno why but I just love the 206 GTI 180 in Blue, Clio 172 another option. Loads more just cant think of them at the moment.
Thanks given by:
Fabia VRS doesn't come with a DPF no, quite nice cars but a bit small, they're closer to a Polo than a Golf. Polo PD130 GT TDi might be worth a try, but they're rare in that spec!

Don't know where you heard the Puma was good on fuel? They're fairly reliable though. Also a 206 GTi or Clio 172 aren't good on fuel...you need to decide what you want. Tongue

In your price range the only diesel you'd get in the Focus is the 1.8, not my preferred engine tbh, but they don't come with a DPF either.
Thanks given by:
Good re: VRS, Polo GT TDI alright but not very cheap aha, as long as it returns good MPG and its quick, the quicker the better Wink although cheapness has to come into it too lol
Those Focus 1.8 115's map very well ive heard too! And are 115/184 standard! Much better than the 90/155 from the 2.0 hdi...
Just thought!... Xsara Coupe HDI 110 the closest to a 306 there is! They come with DPF/DMF Tom? Getting cheap now too.
Thanks given by:
Anything has better power than a 2.0 HDi 306 as standard... I honestly don't know why Peugeot decided to fit such a large capacity engine with such a small amount of power when you look at the equivalents on offer at the same time! Confused

VRS's are fairly quick, if blacksmoke.co.uk are still doing £45 maps for them even better lol. Wink The VNT powerband is totally different to what you're used to as well, low down boost never gets boring!

Xsara coupe? Eurgh... Each to their own though. lol I don't think there's a DPF or DMF on those but not 100% as I don't really deal with Citroens.
Thanks given by:
Thtas the annoying thing, damn you Peugeot! lol should have put the HDI 110 in later on in production!  
Hows the VNT powerband totally different Tom compared to the HDI 90 Stage 1?
Fair do's re Xsara Coupe... much nicer looking than the Hatchback version though.
Thanks given by:
Megane 230  F1

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lQJfbkqpek&feature=youtu.be

BUT if I could have any car back, it would be my 205 DT. ALL day long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL2yKAdUHXQ
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Clio 172 is suprisingly good on fuel for a car with ~170bhp, the on board comp averaged it at 35mpg. The celica barely manages 25mpg driven gently and has similar power. I loved the two 172's i had, handle great and sound beautiful too even as standard.
Thanks given by:
VNT turbo gives you the benefit of having a small turbo and a large one at the same time. Small turbos don't lag but run of puff quickly (crap on the motorway), large turbos lag like hell but pull harder up top (crap in town), so any fixed geometry turbo is a compromise of the two. With a VNT you have boost from almost idle with max boost/torque around 1950rpm and still pulling up to 4k+ (depending on variant). Honestly once you go VNT you don't go back. Tongue
Thanks given by:
stage 1+ on a 306 hdi takes them too stock fabia VRS power anyways lol

If your just bored of your HDi why dont you just put some nice suspension (bilstein B4's for example) and stage 2 it (160bhp)
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
It's not all about power figures though, powerband makes such a difference. And a £45 stage 1 map on the VRS takes them to 165bhp iirc (slightly different to Golf PD130). How much would you have to spend on a HDi with FMIC, clutch, remap etc for that....
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2015, 11:36 AM)MY95 Wrote: Just thought!... Xsara Coupe HDI 110 the closest to a 306 there is! They come with DPF/DMF Tom? Getting cheap now too.

Xsara HDi 110's don't come with DMF or DPF  Smile
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2015, 10:08 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(29-08-2015, 09:53 AM)Choppin Wrote: But the driving position in any Renault is just awful!!

Granted! seats too high up, i cant drive the car with shoes on cos im over 6ft and it puts my ankle on a funny angle unless i take my shoes off lol

I'm 5 ft 10 and you were pretty much the same height?

Everyone on here seems to think they are 6ft plus lmao
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Wonder if they over estimate the size of everything... Itwasntme

I'm 5ft 11.5inch. Couldn't even manage 6ft. lol
Thanks given by:
I replaced my stage 1 306 hdi with a 406 coupe hdi. Stage 1 map to 180bhp and epic comfort in SE spec with heated fully electric leathers, Cruise control, good looks etc but it wasn't great on fuel (42mpg was the best it could average) and parts are a bit more expensive than the common 406.  Would still have it but it was written off a couple of weeks ago  currently looking at buying a mk5 astra van as I'm looking to go self employed soon
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the thoughts lads.
Going to stick with the 306 and save up for a bit. Stage 2 would be nice Matt but its on 145k now and need it 100% reliable daily! Brembos on the other hand are very temping Tongue Although I wouldn't be saving up then lol More unsprung weight though so cant be having that aha.
Looked at 406 Coupe HDI but as rare as hens teeth! And trying to find one anywhere near me is like trying to find a needle in a haystack!
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2015, 06:46 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: Any faults?nGot any more pics including the interior & rear? Very interested if I can shift my 309, collection is no prob as I'm in Clowne once a month.

(29-08-2015, 05:40 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Wonder if they over estimate the size of everything... Itwasntme

After a few beers I couldn't even manage 6" lol
Thanks given by:
I replaced both my previous 306s with AX's and wouldnt hessitate to do it again.... one was a gti and the other was to reshell said gti.

If this one goes it wont be replaced as such, ill just downsize the fleet and go back to the AX or the volvo 360 .... f**k mod cons and economy!! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Another one for the megane here.

Megane r26 f1 team.
I f*cking love it, driving position, comfort, sound, power and more.

Loved my gti6 more, but this is just such a nice place to be.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by: Matt-Rallye
(29-08-2015, 05:12 PM)RetroPug Wrote:
(29-08-2015, 09:53 AM)Choppin Wrote: But the driving position in any Renault is just awful!!

Granted! seats too high up, i cant drive the car with shoes on cos im over 6ft and it puts my ankle on a funny angle unless i take my shoes off lol

Dude your quite abit shorter than me lol im a genuine 6ft+

(29-08-2015, 05:40 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Wonder if they over estimate the size of everything... Itwasntme

Definitely dont overestimate my 'size' hence the nickname 'one inch wonder' Wink

(29-08-2015, 08:34 PM)MY95 Wrote: Thanks for the thoughts lads.
Going to stick with the 306 and save up for a bit. Stage 2 would be nice Matt but its on 145k now and need it 100% reliable daily! Brembos on the other hand are very temping Tongue Although I wouldn't be saving up then lol More unsprung weight though so cant be having that aha.
Looked at 406 Coupe HDI but as rare as hens teeth! And trying to find one anywhere near me is like trying to find a needle in a haystack!

Wouldnt touch a 406 coupe hdi. go for stage 2 with torque limited map to save ripping the guts out the clutch Smile and if you dont drive like a douche all the time and do the FMIC fitting tidily then reliability shouldnt be affected Smile

Stage 2
Brembos
Bilsteins

And then just enjoy having a lovely specced daily 306 with potential to hoon when required Big Grin
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(31-08-2015, 05:48 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(29-08-2015, 05:12 PM)RetroPug Wrote:

Dude your quite abit shorter than me lol im a genuine 6ft+
I didn't think I was drunk at all but my memory must be off then. Big Grin
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by: