Anyone self employed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone self employed
is there anyone on here that is self employed? that can point me in the right direction on what to do tax wise? as I am looking into this too.
Thanks given by:
Any joy with the JSA funding or are they drawing you a blank?
Thanks given by:
What happened with the other job?

You can do it all online.
Thanks given by:
I have found something else lads, as I have been keeping my options open.
Thanks given by:
Go on the .gov site, explains everything in great detail and isn't second-hand information.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
What sort of thing are you planning on doing? Be careful, it can be great but can be shite too.
Thanks given by:
I am going to be a delivery driver for a local company in sunderland, a bit like parcel force. I rang up today and asked about it, the lass took my details, and told me, I would be self employed. After thinking about it further, I have the customer service experience and I have been on the road for 10 years, So why not put the two together, for practically double what I was doing.
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2015, 03:59 PM)procta Wrote: I am going to be a delivery driver for a local company in sunderland,  a bit like parcel force. I rang up today and asked about it, the lass took my details, and told me, I would be self employed. After thinking about it further, I have the customer service experience and I have been on the road for 10 years, So why not put the two together, for practically double what I was doing.

Just be prepared for rediculously long days (13hrs+) 

Also make sure they supply the van/insurance/gear you need.

I was offered £18k salary, brand new Merc van, all the training & gear (that's on the books too, not self employed) but by the time you worked the hourly rate out it was scraping on minimum wage.

Also being self employed just remember you've got no sick pay, no holiday pay, no pension scheme - I looked into this a couple of years ago and it just wasn't worth it - they make it sound better than it is.
Thanks given by:
Courier work is a bloody hard way to make money mate, go careful. There's a lot of websites out there selling it because they know it's shit work, but also know people will be drawn in by the "self-employed" bit. Having done both, i'd have stuck with retail given the choice again.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(26-08-2015, 04:18 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(26-08-2015, 03:59 PM)procta Wrote: I am going to be a delivery driver for a local company in sunderland,  a bit like parcel force. I rang up today and asked about it, the lass took my details, and told me, I would be self employed. After thinking about it further, I have the customer service experience and I have been on the road for 10 years, So why not put the two together, for practically double what I was doing.

Just be prepared for rediculously long days (13hrs+) 

Also make sure they supply the van/insurance/gear you need.

I was offered £18k salary, brand new Merc van, all the training & gear (that's on the books too, not self employed) but by the time you worked the hourly rate out it was scraping on minimum wage.

Also being self employed just remember you've got no sick pay, no holiday pay, no pension scheme - I looked into this a couple of years ago and it just wasn't worth it - they make it sound better than it is.

I will be asking a few questions, about a few things. I do have my private pension that work setup for me, that I can take with me. I was paying less than £4 a month into it, so hopefully i can pay more into it tbh.
(26-08-2015, 05:04 PM)Poodle Wrote: Courier work is a bloody hard way to make money mate, go careful. There's a lot of websites out there selling it because they know it's shit work, but also know people will be drawn in by the "self-employed" bit. Having done both, i'd have stuck with retail given the choice again.

Sadly poodle, the job i was doing is going, from 7 days a week to 3 days, Also they will be thinning the staff off the department too. As they don't need stock control team anymore, and sadly they have done away with a department that made a fare few quid at xmas! We have had about 30 people leave from 2014 to now! and some of them have been in the company for 10 years plus! not one person has been replaced out! There is more people leaving too, as the company has become horrific to work for and the stability isn't there now, looking at what is happening with the company. Every manager who got out last year, have said to every one get out, as there is more to come!
Thanks given by:
Courier stuff is bollocks. I do deliveries for a fashion company but that only 30-40 drops a day. Amazon guys have like 100+ drops a day, f*ck that.
Thanks given by:
A very easy way to pick up points by the week so please watch yourself cos you'll be looking at 70++drops a day :-( with absolutely no chance of driving normally if you want to get them all done that day and manage to stop for a pee!
Although plenty folk do it so it def will have its perks if you put up with the shit side of it!
Thanks given by:
Procta, do you fancy moving down here and setting up a business in something car related? Could employ me to do easy stuff... Wink Tongue
Thanks given by:
i am seeing it as more money tbh, the north east sector lads, is pretty dead for good pay jobs. Nissan is the only key one really and there warehouse side of things, when you look at my area. We really got it when the eco crashed, even good ICT jobs, are hard to get hold up here. Its worse when you go further up!

(26-08-2015, 06:22 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Procta, do you fancy moving down here and setting up a business in something car related?  Could employ me to do easy stuff... Wink Tongue

if you moved up here tom, we could be laughing if we broke cars! As sunderland only has two car breakers yards!
Thanks given by:
They need to re-erect hadrians wall but around the north east.

By the way my dad's a monkey hanger Wink
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2015, 06:45 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: They need to re-erect hadrians wall but around the north east.

By the way my dad's a monkey hanger Wink

If you say so, Tongue
Thanks given by:
Only joking

Ring up HMRC and they'll talk you through what you need to do.

And get a decent accountant!

But get the ball rolling now, you'll be waiting a while for your UTR (unique tax reference) and they won't be able to pay you until you have it
Thanks given by:
cheers Paul!
Thanks given by:
I imagine that being self-employed the notice period they will have to give you before laying you off will be really short.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
They don't have to give you any notice. If they don't like you when you turn up you're straight back out the door
Thanks given by:
(27-08-2015, 12:05 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: They don't have to give you any notice. If they don't like you when you turn up you're straight back out the door

This. You're self employed so there's no need for them to give notice as you're not working for the company, but yourself
Thanks given by:
I was self employed for 4 years. On the books now and it's soo much easier, however you can't pick and choose where you want to work

If you're working in construction under an agency you might as well go on benefits you get shafted that much, the government royal rogered us up the arse without the use of ky
Thanks given by:
So being self employed for a delivery company, do you get any sort of contract with a guarantee of minimum amount of work per week? Or is just on a week by week basis depending on if/when they need you?
Thanks given by:
(27-08-2015, 06:45 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: So being self employed for a delivery company, do you get any sort of contract with a guarantee of minimum amount of work per week? Or is just on a week by week basis depending on if/when they need you?

all this will be asked ICE when the induction comes up, as at the min I am keeping my options open. Looking at it, I think the company is opening a branch up here, As there has been history of them expanding in other parts of the country.
Thanks given by:
(27-08-2015, 06:58 PM)procta Wrote:
(27-08-2015, 06:45 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: So being self employed for a delivery company, do you get any sort of contract with a guarantee of minimum amount of work per week? Or is just on a week by week basis depending on if/when they need you?

all this will be asked ICE when the induction comes up, as at the min I am keeping my options open. Looking at it, I think the company is opening a branch up here, As there has been history of them expanding in other parts of the country.

So you've actually said no to the warehouse job and gone for this delivery job?
Thanks given by:
(27-08-2015, 07:33 PM)Iceman299 Wrote:
(27-08-2015, 06:58 PM)procta Wrote:

So you've actually said no to the warehouse job and gone for this delivery job?
no mate, I haven't said no to the warehouse job, as I just need to let the agency know, so I can start. As they are always recruiting.  I am just keeping my other options open that's all, as I know a few people on here are self employed.
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2015, 06:33 PM)procta Wrote:
(26-08-2015, 06:22 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Procta, do you fancy moving down here and setting up a business in something car related?  Could employ me to do easy stuff... Wink Tongue

if you moved up here tom, we could be laughing if we broke cars! As sunderland only has two car breakers yards!

Hmm, tempting, rent is only what, £5 a month up there also? Wink
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2015, 08:01 AM)Toms306 Wrote:

Gets cheaper the further north you go til you hit Edinburgh then it's nearly as bad as London!
Thanks given by:

yeah some parts are!
(28-08-2015, 08:41 AM)Redordead89 Wrote:

Gets cheaper the further north you go til you hit Edinburgh then it's nearly as bad as London!

reason for that, is there is f*ck all north before you hit scotland
Thanks given by:
self employment also has its benefits, 20% tax £3 national ins a week and a very good tax rebate come april !! no need for an accountant just keep every receipt ! as you can claim everything back inc phone , meals ect ect , the goverment is trying to do away with self emp as we have lots of benefits , and employed dont except holiday pay , but you can pay into a scheme for it if you want to , ive bin s,e for over 20 yrs and the minimum rebate has been over 3k , by the way im a painter and decorator
Thanks given by: procta

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone self employed? Danny2009 27 4,746 02-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Dicky
  Happy!!!!!!!!!! Back in the world of the employed. Pompey306mark 16 2,388 04-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Pompey306mark
Wink RE-Employed BABY!!!! JamesG 9 2,885 11-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Last Post: JamesG