Talk exhaust....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talk exhaust....
What does everyone do for exhausts on the XUD nowadays?
Considering completely decatting is a no no. I'm after something nice and subtle.

I am aware I'll never escape the fact it's still a glorified tractor
Thanks given by:
Empty the cat out, straight pipe for the centre and a free flow back box, 2 inch pipe work works fine
Thanks given by:
Done the cat. will the box and mid pipe do anything for proformance or just how Sounds
Thanks given by:
If you have a standard xud with just a stage one tune the standard system with the cat emptied out is more than enough imo
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Think of the dolphins and just leave the cat alone or buy a high flow one.
Thanks given by:
Yeaa I suspected at stage one it would be enough flow.
was also just wanting to make it sound better not big and loud but just nicer would this be a case of changing the back box, my current bumper hides my exhaust which is how I'd like to keep it aswell
Thanks given by:
Well ive got a standard back box im emptying out and welding up atm to see what thats like.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2015, 08:59 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: Well ive got a standard back box im emptying out and welding up atm to see what thats like.

hmmm interesting.... let me know how it goes
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2015, 06:20 PM)blinkyeatu Wrote:
(23-08-2015, 08:59 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: Well ive got a standard back box im emptying out and welding up atm to see what thats like.

Badly. Id class myself as an ok welder as well and that bastard thin stuff was horrid to weld and gave up. I myself need to make my exhaust up atm.
Thanks given by:
Cats need to be binned on these engines, really chokes them up, I'm straight through to backbox at the min, it's not stupidly loud but people hear you coming lol, lets it breathe nicely Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Thats what im having to do with mine. Problem is i want a quiet exhaust note but free flowing. Which is difficult to be fair.
Thanks given by:
Straight pipe all the way to a big empty back box. That's what I had on the cabby and it seemed to be unrestrictive yet quiet. I used a ford galaxy backbox and gutted it completely.
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2015, 06:31 PM)bashbarnard Wrote:

Badly. Id class myself as an ok welder as well and that bastard thin stuff was horrid to weld and gave up. I myself need to make my exhaust up atm.
Hmm well I shan't be doing that then, special as I can't weld at all yet :| I reckon I'll just stick with the standard system as  although he's not properly "decatted" it's close enough

And Matt how'd yours get through mot ect
Thanks given by:
Fyi std exhaust iirc on the xud is 2.25" so I wouldnt drop down to 2"!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2015, 08:10 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Thats what im having to do with mine. Problem is i want a quiet exhaust note but free flowing. Which is difficult to be fair.

I think a major contributor to exhaust sound is the vibration. Wrapping and putting in a few more mounting contacts would make a big difference I reckon.
Thanks given by:
No, not really LOL.

Its diameter, designed, flow and whats pushing it... IE the engine. Boosted notes tend to be quieter for instance. Well mine is till the vanes open lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2015, 10:11 AM)Piggy Wrote: No, not really LOL.

Its diameter, designed, flow and whats pushing it... IE the engine. Boosted notes tend to be quieter for instance. Well mine is till the vanes open lol

Your right on all those points. Its just a budget fix that will change the note. Can kill headers and pipes though.
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2015, 09:14 AM)blinkyeatu Wrote:
(23-08-2015, 06:31 PM)bashbarnard Wrote:

Hmm well I shan't be doing that then, special as I can't weld at all yet :| I reckon I'll just stick with the standard system as  although he's not properly "decatted" it's close enough

And Matt how'd yours get through mot ect

think you only need one box on the system and u don't need a cat on a phase 1 anyway, even if u did my tester isn't a ball bag Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
ahhhhh bollocks i was thinking when i get some welding skills down im gunna cut open the cat and weld a straight through pipe in although after what bash was saying about the welding the back box i assume the cat will be very similar
Thanks given by:
If your tester fails you for a decat pipe on an xud then take your business elsewhere, he's being a jobsworth Smile
Thanks given by:
My 2.5" straight pipe, no cat, no boxes goes through mot no problem.
93 106 xsi
98 306 1.9d 
98 306 1.9td lx 
01 306 2.0hdi 
97 306 1.9td estate 
96 306 dturbo 
96 306 dturbo 
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turbo talk. bashbarnard 65 16,470 30-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard