V5 Logbook Issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V5 Logbook Issues
So, as nothing ever goes to plan... Rolleyes

I never received the logbook for the Fiesta, I've given them the benefit of the doubt so far but it's been 4 weeks and 2 days since I bought it...I've never waited more than 3 weeks for one before and I've had about 30 lol.

DVLA know about the change of owner (now showing as untaxed as of the day I bought it) so must've sent the V5? But because of this I can't SORN using the green slip.

Problem is I need to sell the car asap now, need the funds from it for other things - and had assumed I could just give the new owner a receipt, take their address and fill in the V5 when it arrives. BUT they can't tax it without the greenslip from the new V5. I didn't realise this, what a stupid f*cking system, there was nothing wrong with the old system where I could've just sold it with tax left on!

Anyway, I don't know what to do now, is there any way around selling a car with the lack of V5 and the new owner be able to tax it now? Do I wait the full 6 weeks to see if the V5 does turn and then try selling again? Do I apply for another V5 using my greenslip which could take another 4 to 6 weeks to come?

I should give up with cars...

Tom
Thanks given by:
New owner can tax the car in a post office with a V5C form. I know, i had to do it recently when the DVLA lost my logbook when i sent it for a change of address.
Thanks given by:
Phone the DVLA and make sure your name is on the log book then ask where it is?
Thanks given by:
Ask your helper. Alternatively, there's always the dvla. Rolleyes
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
As said, call up and ask who's name is on V5 and when it was sent out. If they're adamant they sent it and want to be funny, it'll cost you £20 for a new one
Thanks given by:
£25, my helper found it online (thanks for the suggestion Poodle Wink ). Have emailed them now (didn't realise they had an email service!) so will see what happens. It must've been posted though as it's untaxed from the date I bought it (was taxed when I bought it).
Thanks given by:
It's £25 now?? I had to pay £20 when i lost mine a couple of years ago, only to find it the day after i payed the fee!  Censored
Thanks given by:
Yeah. https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration-...c-log-book

As if they don't steal enough from us in tax...
Thanks given by:
You should be able to sorn and tax it online with the green slip. In fact more than that I know you can as I've done it.
Thanks given by:
You can...but only until the new v5 has been posted. Dodgy I should've SORNed it earlier, my fault, but its more the new owners getting tax that's the problem now.
Thanks given by:
DVLA seem to be on a go slow, as I sold a car about 4 weeks ago to a friend, which he hasn't received his log book yet
Thanks given by:
(22-08-2015, 05:16 PM)fgrc76 Wrote: DVLA seem to be on a go slow, as I sold a car about 4 weeks ago to a friend, which he hasn't received his log book yet

Ah that's interesting to know, will keep hoping it's on the way lol...

Seems odd though, it's not usually until September they slow down with the new reg plates coming out.
Thanks given by:
As an update - DVLA have sent another logbook which I should receive within 2 weeks. Smile
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2015, 07:47 PM)Toms306 Wrote: As an update - DVLA have sent another logbook which I should receive within 2 weeks.  Smile

Worked out well then.

Was pleasantly suprised to find out that you can put a private plate on retention online now and it's £80 instead of £105. It's also effective immedietely, was well happy! Normally have to send off a V317 with V5 and mot then wait a couple of weeks
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2015, 08:30 PM)Iceman299 Wrote:
(25-08-2015, 07:47 PM)Toms306 Wrote: As an update - DVLA have sent another logbook which I should receive within 2 weeks.  Smile

Worked out well then.

Was pleasantly suprised to find out that you can put a private plate on retention online now and it's £80 instead of £105. It's also effective immedietely, was well happy! Normally have to send off a V317 with V5 and mot then wait a couple of weeks

also lasts on retention for ten years and if your buying a brand new car it can be assigned by the dealer on the day if they know what they are doing 
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Logbook question Chris_90 5 992 26-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Iceman299
  Taxing car without logbook. bashbarnard 11 1,800 07-01-2016, 09:18 AM
Last Post: r3k1355
  Taxing car with no reminder or logbook HDIkyle 15 2,219 04-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Last Post: aggyj17