Modding and regulation in the UK

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modding and regulation in the UK
So modding in Australia is strictly regulated and we need to get an engineer certificate and a modification plate for every mechanical change from stock and that can cost an arm and a leg. Even things like swapping seats, steering wheels, suspension changes etc.

Just from my observation it seems you can do what you like to your own car without a similar requirement. Is this the case?
Thanks given by:
Pretty much. A fair few, if not a lot, of people don't even declare their mods to their insurance company. Flamin' galah's! Lol
Thanks given by:
(24-07-2015, 12:59 AM)Iceman299 Wrote: Pretty much. A fair few, if not a lot, of people don't even declare their mods to their insurance company. Flamin' galah's! Lol

Lucky bastards.
Thanks given by:
Take mine as an example. All I have to do is declare them to the insurance. They send me a form to fill in which you have to acknowledge they've been fitted by someone with some level of competence and that's about it.

Pretty sweet considering how strict a lot of other countries in Europe seem to be.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
but mcm?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(24-07-2015, 05:39 AM)lolsteve Wrote: but mcm?

Must be very friendly with a local garage lol
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Problem with our system is retards can do anything with up to another year before it'll get checked by MOT...

Legally you do have to declare all mods to insurance - though many don't. And if you make a major change such as engine or shell swap, you need to tell DVSA who will ask for a certificate from a 'competent person' before updating the registration docs. Other than that, you can do what you like really, make it as dangerous as you like as long as you don't get stopped by police. lol
Thanks given by:
The DVLA has a points system for needing an SVA or EVA whatever they are called now which is basically type approval but not even the DVLA understand this system so nobody uses it and even then the level of modification would have to be ridiculous like a space frame chassis.

Otherwise inform them of engine changes and tell the insurance everything and it's probably OK as long as it's not unsafe and doesn't change anything to do with number plates. There is laws about loud exhausts and tinted windows but they are rarely enforced.
Thanks given by:
(24-07-2015, 05:39 AM)lolsteve Wrote: but mcm?

Basically its up to the discretion of the police officer your talking to. If your not a d*ckhead they won't go after you. Thanks for the info guys. Gave me a good understanding should I ever import.
Thanks given by:
Surely you'd import something from Japan? Like a 600BHP skyline?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
We have type approval for exhaust catalysts IIRC??

Other than that you can do what you want, as long as you inform the insurance company of the changes.
Thanks given by:
I was just watching RB26 videos when I checked this thread.

Thanks given by: silverzx
Probably modding car's for 5-6 years and only in the last 2 years I've ever declared it to the insurance company

Live in quite a nice area,so police are quite low level and never been pulled or given them reason to.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by: