Anyone play golf?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone play golf?
I'm not the usual golf type I admit...

Basically, all my life since the age of 6 I've played rugby league, to a high level until the age of 16 when my knee was destroyed in a tackle (ruptured cartilage, hyperextension, broken patella and 2 torn ligaments all in one agonizing go), and then ever since I've been trying to make comebacks. First at conference senior level, then B team, then C team, then senior amateur in the West Yorkshire league, then pub team, and a year ago I finally realised that the combination of being unable to get back into decent shape due to training limitations and the pain I find myself in for days after a match, added to the risk of leaving myself unable to walk meant I was being stupid. I've since gone into coaching at a junior level, and much as I enjoy it it isn't the same buzz. I need a new sport.

A lot of former rugby players take up golf, so on the advice of a few mates I've started giving it a go. Just a few sessions at the range so far, and one coaching session, using a set of old but apparently decent clubs a mate gave me. In that coaching session the pro I was with went through my bag and said that while my clubs are good they aren't right for a beginner as they're very unforgiving and meant for experienced players, and advised me to look for a starter set.

Now, I've found these:

http://www.european-golf-online.com/golf...-set-p3323

https://www.golfonline.co.uk/callaway-me...ackage-set

http://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-clubs...tand%20bag

Now, I'm leaning towards the Callaway set because apparently it's a great make, but the Dunlop clubs seem very cheap. Does anyone have any recommendations? Just want a decent set to get me started.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
spoils a good walk!

:p

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
(16-07-2015, 09:55 PM)cully Wrote: spoils a good walk!

:p

Cheers mate, just the advice I was looking for lol
Thanks given by:
I'll weld a piston and rod to the end of a torsion bar for you, that'll be good for hitting stuff with.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I do like golf*

*Driving range only.

I personally dont see the point in hitting a ball a long way away and then going to find said ball, and hit it again!

To add; I have zero knowledge on golf clubs. But i'd be happy to go the range with you!
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2015, 10:17 PM)Fooby Wrote: I do like golf*

*Driving range only.

I personally dont see the point in hitting a ball a long way away and then going to find said ball, and hit it again!

To add; I have zero knowledge on golf clubs. But i'd be happy to go the range with you!

When did you say you were in Leeds mate?
Thanks given by:
Sunday :p

But i'll make a point of bringing my golfbat up if you fancy an afternoon of beer and happy gilmore at some point

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
Me and a couple of mates go sometimes, its just abit of fun for us and nothing serious like coaching or anything.
We go for the banter and whack a few balls, we play on the easy courses which most of the holes are par 3 (was about an inch from a hole in 1 once).

Have no idea about quality of clubs i just use my brothers set which are a mixed bag of callaway, dunlops and his prize nike putter lol, like i said we just go for the laugh and there no intention of taking it serious.
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2015, 10:50 PM)Fooby Wrote: Sunday [emoji14]

But i'll make a point of bringing my golfbat up if you fancy an afternoon of beer and happy gilmore at some point
What time you getting here? Just thinking I might have time for a trip to the range before the wedding?
(16-07-2015, 11:20 PM)Strikeforce Wrote: Me and a couple of mates go sometimes, its just abit of fun for us and nothing serious like coaching or anything.
We go for the banter and whack a few balls, we play on the easy courses which most of the holes are par 3 (was about an inch from a hole in 1 once).

Have no idea about quality of clubs i just use my brothers set which are a mixed bag of callaway, dunlops and his prize nike putter lol, like i said we just go for the laugh and there no intention of taking it serious.
Notice any difference between the different brands at all?
Thanks given by:
Hey hey,

While you are starting golf its pretty much just finding your rhythm and getting a good swing. It doesnt actually make a difference what set of clubs you are using in the beginning. Once you start finding middle on the club thats when you will see a difference at all.

All things said, the Dunlops generally feel pretty dead as far as clubs are concerned, I would vouch for the Callaways any day! But there is one condition for buying any single golf club, go to a Pro Shop and test them out on a machine. It will show you flight path, distance, everything. You dont want to buy the Callaway only to find that it has a low-kick flex point and you keep slicing the ball for an unknown reason. So with that in mind, just hit the 2 and see which you are more consistent with Smile

Hope this helps sir
Ex cars: '86 Opel Monza 1.6 GLS Puke & '97 Opel Astra 180ie 16v - oil spill & '07 VW Polo 1.9TDI (stolen) - Awesome car!

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life." - Henry David Thoreau
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2015, 05:24 AM)THE_Liam Wrote:

What time you getting here? Just thinking I might have time for a trip to the range before the wedding?
I land at leeds bradford at 2:15.

Have no transport though, gimme a holler on the mobile telecommunication device.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:

(16-07-2015, 11:20 PM)Strikeforce Wrote: Me and a couple of mates go sometimes, its just abit of fun for us and nothing serious like coaching or anything.

Notice any difference between the different brands at all?
Nope none whatsoever but thats because were not really any good so cant tell the difference.
We get a good shot here and there and like to think were good but really its more down to luck.
Thanks given by:
It's all about footgolf, there's a course right near me, awesome game and you're allowed to drink beer on the way round! ........ Winnnnnnnnnnnn Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2015, 09:24 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: It's all about footgolf, there's a course right near me, awesome game and you're allowed to drink beer on the way round! ........ Winnnnnnnnnnnn Big Grin

Our local course changes over to footgolf on certain days and is a propper laugh, cheap aswell
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2015, 09:39 AM)Strikeforce Wrote:
(17-07-2015, 09:24 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: It's all about footgolf, there's a course right near me, awesome game and you're allowed to drink beer on the way round! ........ Winnnnnnnnnnnn Big Grin

Our local course changes over to footgolf on certain days and is a propper laugh, cheap aswell

ours is a permanent course perhaps the first actually, it's in High Melton, my old college stamping grounds lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2015, 05:44 AM)timpug Wrote: Hey hey,

While you are starting golf its pretty much just finding your rhythm and getting a good swing. It doesnt actually make a difference what set of clubs you are using in the beginning. Once you start finding middle on the club thats when you will see a difference at all.

All things said, the Dunlops generally feel pretty dead as far as clubs are concerned, I would vouch for the Callaways any day! But there is one condition for buying any single golf club, go to a Pro Shop and test them out on a machine. It will show you flight path, distance, everything. You dont want to buy the Callaway only to find that it has a low-kick flex point and you keep slicing the ball for an unknown reason. So with that in mind, just hit the 2 and see which you are more consistent with Smile

Hope this helps sir

Thanks mate that's just the advice I was hoping for. I am leaning towards the Callaway clubs to be honest, and looking at the driver for example the head is twice the size of the one I have so should be much more forgiving of a poor swing.

(17-07-2015, 08:12 AM)Fooby Wrote:

I land at leeds bradford at 2:15.

Have no transport though, gimme a holler on the mobile telecommunication device.

Damn, I'll be getting ready for that wedding by then, takes at least an hour for me to tie a tie lol

When do you leave? I'm free Monday night and I have a day off Tuesday? Beers?
Thanks given by:
I fly back Monday evening from Newcastle Sad

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2015, 10:18 AM)Fooby Wrote: I fly back Monday evening from Newcastle Sad

Bugger, could have showed you round all the proper ale drinkers pubs!
Thanks given by:
Yeah I do abit of driving range,mainly because they's cars and stuff to hit,so usually do a £1 a hit with my mate.

Although I've done abit of pitch and put,did enjoy it,would probably get into it if I had more spare time.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
I used to play golf twice a week whilst at uni. Never got to getting a handicap, but could go around my local course 7-8 over a par on a regular basis.

Then you lot happened and I stopped playing, as all my money was going into cars.

I bought Nike Pro Combo's about 6 months after hitting my first golf ball. Started with a massive driver and then made it smaller as it was so easy off the tee to hit the ball straight and true.

I don't think buying a starter set is worth it, better to struggle on with crap and get better at hitting the ball correctly then move onto a nice set of clubs when you don't have to worry about them being so forgiving cos you can't hit the ball well.

PS, I went back to golf about a year ago and could not hit the ball for shit with some clubs I borrowed, so it just takes time to learn that skill. I have improved after a few pitch and putt days but not enough to play like I use too.

I would suggest a nice big head Pro driver as they are really forgiving off the tee, then get a nice set of second irons and putter.

Out of the ones you have selected I would say the Callaway too.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the input mate. Almost certain I'm going to go for the Callaway set now Smile
Thanks given by:
I think you would be good to get a good set hand set of clubs. I sold my pro combo's for £120, you can get good drivers for £50, £40 on a pair of good wedges and £10-20 on a putter.

£150 for a nice set of set hand clubs which will be better than those callaways and last longer as you improve.

If you improve quickly you will need another set soon enough.
Thanks given by:
To be honest I'd rather just buy a new set of clubs and save the hassle, I don't really know enough to be able to tell if used ones are damaged or poor quality.
Thanks given by:
I started when I was about 12 got down to a respectable 16 handicap, then learnt to drive and stopped playing until recently. I've just brushed off the old girls and try to play when I can. Normal when I'm working away on an evening.

I will tell you now if your short tempered in any way it can be the most stressful game in the world!

As for your clubs if you try Anerican Golf they offer a second hand range such may be off interest. They come with a guarantee ect
Thanks given by:
I play golf, badly, every week. I play with shitty cheapo Dunlop clubs and they do the job. If ur only just starting out they'll be fine.

The most frustrating thing you'll find is that golf is unique for a number of reasons:
1). It's a sport u can only get good at thru practice, u can't go for a run or get fitter... That won't improve your game
2). You are only playing yourself, only u 2 blame...
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Right lads I've ordered the Callaway set, thanks for the advice. If anyone ever fancies a round let me know!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1.9 Dturbo 205 vs pd mk2 golf pugtk 11 2,491 14-07-2017, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Danny Wideboy
  xud van vs golf gti 1.8 t xudlingo 30 5,099 21-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Last Post: xudlingo
  Golf VR6 Dum-Dum 26 5,456 28-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Curt