Gearbox Breather

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gearbox Breather
Hi - am just doing a gearbox oil change - it is SLOWLY filling through the breather - my question is that the black plastic breather I removed from the engine is just a completely open 8mm hole - I was assuming it would have a cap with a smaller breather hole so has my breather got a little cap missing from it ?

cheers max
Thanks given by:
Yeah, there should be a little white/cream cap over that.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom - will get one !
It is filling slowly because I only have a piece of plastic tube approx. 5mm internal dia
But I am multi tasking and filling myself with coffee at the same time : )
Thanks given by: thecrab
The breather unscrews - 17mm spanner if I remember correctly - from the top of the gearbox giving a much bigger hole to fit through.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Thanks I have the breather off which is when I noticed it did not have a cap on it - it is my size of tube that is limiting the filling speed : )
Thanks given by:
Ah, fair enough. A funnel with an extension works wonders for this:

[Image: BoxOil4.jpg]

The cap over the breather looks like this:

[Image: 5741_under_bonnet_2.jpg]

Same on any BE3 gearbox as far as I know.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
I am using exactly that technique but think mini funnel and 5mm int dia tube - its slow LOL but I am doing other stuff whilst the level in the funnel creeps down : )
Thanks given by:
It shouldn't be that slow lol... I use a mini funnel as well but takes like 10 mins! lol
Thanks given by:
I bet yours is bigger than mine Tom Rofl

[Image: DSC01477_zpssnrxqwk3.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Oh, I forgot how much was in the way on the xud lol, I do hdis and petrols so no tmic!! Same size funnel though oddly, but I put mine straight on so maybe it's the pipe slowing it down.
Thanks given by:
Yeh definitely the pipe is the limiting factor - I live out in the sticks so it would have taken longer to go get larger dia pipe than how I did it - all done now and cleaned away.

Does anybody have a part number for the Breather assembly please ??  - its way easier for me to order online if I can.

Thanks for the help guys - much appreciated
Thanks given by:
The black part of the breather (ie what you've already got) is 226830 and is £4.19 inc VAT
The white cap part of the breather (ie what you're missing) is 221816 and is 61p inc VAT

Hope that helps Smile
Thanks given by:
Blimey less than 13 minutes - what kept you ? Rofl

Thanks very much - very kind !

Where are you in wilts ?
Until xmas I  worked near Amesbury for 13 years - before returning to the frozen north - although its fairly warm today - the sun came out within minutes of me finishing on the car LOL
Thanks given by:
I know, just can't get the service these days can you? Tongue

I'm in Swindon, so 45 minutes or so North of Amesbury.
Thanks given by:
Ahhh Swindon - been past it many times Smile
Not sure I have actually been in it but have vague memories of going through the magic roundabout a few times - some years ago !
Thanks given by:
If you've jammed it in hard...it will be slow as there is no way of the air to escape as you fill...after all you are filling it through the breather! Take level plug out and it will fill up much faster!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The tube was so small I could move it around in the breather hole (not the threaded part),the restriction was definitely the tube - it was 5mm int dia with a secondary restriction where I had sleeved it into the funnel (not over the funnel  - into the funnel ) - it was a steady flow with no bubbles or farts .
Thanks given by:
When I did mine a few weeks ago I just cut a milkshake carton up and put the spout in the hole, seemed to work ok and didn't spill.

However this was after changing the engine so the battery and tray weren't in. Not sure on space restrictions once assembled.
Thanks given by:
can i ask, where do you get mail order pug oe parts from please, local ( and national dealers it seems ) are crap!!
Thanks given by:
I always start by just googling the part number - sometimes it pays off and will give a link to ebay or to an online part supplier.
I got a breather from ebay ok by doing that - it was relatively expensive (£6 - but still easier for me because of where I live LOL)
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2016, 04:59 PM)pug306driver Wrote: can i ask, where do you get mail order pug oe parts from please, local ( and national dealers it seems ) are crap!!

Speak to Ed or Steve in Warners Tewkesbury parts. They ship nationally and know their stuff.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
If my local Peugeot dealer doesn't have it/take too long to get it I just put the part number into ebay.

Most recently I needed the pipe that goes from the rocker to the oil filler neck. Peugeot said a week I think. Found it on ebay and it was less than 24 hours from ordering to in my hands.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oil out of breather under hard cornering zx_volcane 9 2,895 19-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Last Post: zx_volcane
  Oil breather hose Check30 23 5,825 18-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Last Post: padge
  Breather hose billythekid 5 1,491 18-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Last Post: padge