car running rough pretty sure petrol in it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
car running rough pretty sure petrol in it
got a 306 hdi estate, fuel light was on so went and put £20 in. After about 800m the car started to drive lumpy, so i though maybe shit in the fuel so put my foot down and it cut out. engine light is on and just nursed it home about 2miles away. When i turn the key the fuel pump (think its that) is making a loudish humming sound if that helps. Although I'm fairly confident i didn't there is a possibility i put petrol in... but it wouldn't run would it? pretty sure i didn't as i haven't had a petrol car for about 8 years now. any help would be appreciated 

EDIT took some fuel out of the fuel filter put a match to it and it set alight.... so guessing i put petrol in it.... how can i see how much damage it done....
Thanks given by:
Drain what's left in the tank, fill her up with diesel and hope for the best
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Didn't you get a receipt? It says what fuel you bought.
Thanks given by:
(28-06-2015, 01:48 PM)Connor Wrote: Drain what's left in the tank, fill her up with diesel and hope for the best

This. Had a 3 series in the other day with petrol in it, new fuel filter and a drain, can of diesel in and it seems fine.

(28-06-2015, 02:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Didn't you get a receipt? It says what fuel you bought.

Also this?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Isn't £20 worth of petrol 17 litres?
That might be in the territory of brim the tank with diesel and keep doing that asap.

Change the filter first though, and change it after the a tank has gone through it.
Thanks given by:
Drain the tank first, modern diesels can't cope with it the same way the older stuff does, destroys the fuel systems.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(28-06-2015, 09:00 PM)Poodle Wrote: Drain the tank first, modern diesels can't cope with it the same way the older stuff does, destroys the fuel systems.

I'm not so sure... Probably said this before but I'll never forget it lol. On work experience we had a 3 year old (2008) transit TDCi in with poor starting. Ran fine just took ages to start, had been playing up for about a month according to the owner. Did a few tests and then checked the fuel - strong smell of petrol. The owner was adamant he hadn't put petrol in, but admitted to filling up about a month earlier the same time it started. He had tonnes of fuel receipts in the glovebox so I checked them all eventually finding one for about half a tank of petrol lol. So it'd done a few hundred miles including an Ipswich to London trip with no ill effects apart from the poor starts! lol

We drained off what was left, changed the filter and nipped to the petrol station for a jerry can of diesel. Worked fine after lol. It's a very distinctive van and I've seen it about several times since so can't have done any major damage! Confused

I also had to drain off 2 when I was at Honda in 2007, but both of those had realised immediately and not driven them, couldn't believe how common it was though. Then one of my mates at the time topped up his PD Golf with petrol from near empty and it cut out 5 miles down the road. Just drained it off, changed the filter and was fine after.

I'm really not sure modern diesels are quite so allergic to petrol as people make out... I've seen veg cause more damage than petrol tbh lol.
Thanks given by:
The vectra dti (dreaded vp44 pump) has been filled up 4 times in a year with petrol (20 quid) simply topped up with diesel and been fine.. Didnt even change the filter once! Lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rough running DW10 mr_fish 10 3,231 26-08-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  Rough Idle HDI boggs 4 1,171 05-05-2016, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Ruan
  rough starting hdi rd070707 23 5,131 02-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Just Sean