SOLVED:Idle Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOLVED:Idle Problem
its on top of the diff, little white thing, usually covered in grime and all sorts. look right at the back of the 'box, you should see it
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
It's right by the drigeshaft Sam....the only plug there so you can't miss it. Smile
Also, need to check the earths for the speddo....ill bring a multimeter. Tongue
Thanks given by:
tom is over and we are trying to fix. We have replaced the tps and tried the icv from the 1.4! Massive overflowing and there is now a big black patch on my drive like a dturbo!
Thanks given by:
SRowell Wrote:tom is over and we are trying to fix. We have replaced the tps and tried the icv from the 1.4! Massive overflowing and there is now a big black patch on my drive like a dturbo!

Overflowing of what?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
He meant over fuelling.....

Anyway, my ideas now are - intank pump (as it takes ages to prime and is loud), fuel pressure reg (as there's obv no regulation on it atm) or possibly coil pack/plugs/ecu.

It smokes like a hdi though.....we left a coal patch on Sams drive. :/ plus fuel leaks from the pipes on the offside wing which doesn't help!

I'd also say it could do with an icv but that's not the main prob.
Thanks given by:
yep :/ reckon ill have to take it to the garage tomorrow! D: The management light is coming on a bit more often and the red battery light at the top flashed on whilst driving too! :/
Thanks given by:
Battery light is usually alternator related......and we know your battery doesn't charge well lol....
Thanks given by:
yep... got the OBD software now. Going to try dads mondeo first as that should definitely be compatible and then ill try the 1.8.Hopefully it will pick it up ok!
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:Battery light is usually alternator related......and we know your battery doesn't charge well lol....

Not necessarily alternator. Could be any part of the charging system. Start by checking earths and power supply before slapping another alternator on there...

Are you sure the exhaust isnt blocked? If its coked up to a stupid level, it can cause too much back pressure and hence the poor MPG and coal on the driveway...
I'd also do the FPR before the pump, the pump will not over supply the engine, that is what the FPR regulates fuel for.... If it was under fueling, then perhaps the pump...

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I thought it could be a blocked cat too....before I saw it was decatted lol....and I don't think the backbox could coke up enough to cause that could it?

I wanted to check the fpr before replacing it but jot sure if or how you can check it?

I checked earths earlier (the ones I could remember) and all were ok BUT I could have missed one.
Thanks given by:
Baffles in the backbox could have corroded from over fueling, thus collapsing and blocking. Unlikely, but still a possibility.

Check the vacuum pipes going to the FPR, make sure they are connected, intact and not perished. Check the vacuum is present at the FPR end of the hose, ie is there a vacuum reaching the FPR to control the diaphragm.
Pull the vacuum hose off with the engine running. If you get fuel leaking from the hole you took the hose off of, the FPR diaphragm has perished and is leaking...

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Are you sure the manifold is bolted on tight and the gasket isn't broken? I would take the manifold off and clean both faces really well! Also check the throttle body faces and gasket.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:Are you sure the manifold is bolted on tight and the gasket isn't broken? I would take the manifold off and clean both faces really well! Also check the throttle body faces and gasket.

Remember the noise your made when it wasnt sealed properly....
Would be a dead giveaway lol

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
This is Sam and Tom were talking about here though. Probably just left his bag in the footwell resting on the throttle pedal
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:This is Sam and Tom were talking about here though. Probably just left his bag in the footwell resting on the throttle pedal

lmao

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Haha, no, nothing on the accel pedal except a foot to stop it from dying!

The tb gasket is shit.....but it couldn't cause that much of a problem could it? You can't hear or feel it blowing anyway. I didn't see the mani gasket so dunno about that one.
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:Haha, no, nothing on the accel pedal except a foot to stop it from dying!

The tb gasket is shit.....but it couldn't cause that much of a problem could it? You can't hear or feel it blowing anyway. I didn't see the mani gasket so dunno about that one.

Yes it can. Mine ran at 3-4k when there was a bit of old gasket stuck on the manifold about 1mm. Does need to be a really good seal!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
It's worth a go tbh, Sam said he had the mani off yesterday so I didn't really think abiiut the seal tbh.

But this isn't just high (as if it was getting too much air), its a really erratic idle and quickly dies if you don't give it some throttle OR bounces between 800 and 1200rpm. But then it it overfuels massively and coals everything when you do give it some lol.
Thanks given by:
I haven't read all of this thread because I just don't care that much but map sensor?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Everything is done up tight! D: Its blowing from the centre pipe/cat section but still throwing plenty out the back. :/

Theres no way that such a small leak could cause such a big issue. Ill do everything up tighter tomorrow but i dont believe that that is the problem. THe manifold was fitted by Carl Chambers who knows what he is doing. It has been fine for a few thousand miles and caused no problems up until the time where the idle would become stuck at higher rpm then usual. Now the problem has escalated to no idle at all and a bouncing effect!

If anything it looks like a sensor or something that has been slowly giving up and has no given up all together!
Thanks given by:
SRowell Wrote:Everything is done up tight! D: Its blowing from the centre pipe/cat section but still throwing plenty out the back. :/

Theres no way that such a small leak could cause such a big issue. Ill do everything up tighter tomorrow but i dont believe that that is the problem. THe manifold was fitted by Carl Chambers who knows what he is doing. It has been fine for a few thousand miles and caused no problems up until the time where the idle would become stuck at higher rpm then usual. Now the problem has escalated to no idle at all and a bouncing effect!

If anything it looks like a sensor or something that has been slowly giving up and has no given up all together!

There's no way it could do that? Well that happened to me so Maybe consider it instead of just guessing.
Try unplugging the map
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
just ran it without the MAP and it made no difference. Ran it without the line between the manifold and the FPR and no difference there either!
Thanks given by:
Got anyone with pug planet near you to get live data? Wouldn't surprise me if the ECU was buggered. These do like to do that!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Not that I know of :/ Everyone is fecking miles away!
Thanks given by:
Looks like taking it to Pug might be your last option to get codes read then Sam. Hopefully it isn't the ecu though cos it cost me loads when the coil pack spiked the ecu on the diablo!
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:Looks like taking it to Pug might be your last option to get codes read then Sam. Hopefully it isn't the ecu though cos it cost me loads when the coil pack spiked the ecu on the diablo!

May s'well just buy your own code reader, pug charge stupid prices!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
I know, and I need a code reader for the golf too as cheap vagcom is shit. Only problem is I can't get to Sams today even if I did have one. :/
Thanks given by:
It's all pointing towards a fuelling issue to me, and the fpr in particular. You should have noticed a difference in engine speed when removing the fpr vacuum hose. Could be the actuating spring inside the fpr that is faulty.
A faulty fpr will describe the symptoms your having, including the coal.
Another thought also, how long ago was the lambda replaced?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Lambda would only explain rich running and even if you got rid of the fpr completely, it wouldn't over fuel that much. It only returns a tiny amount of fuel.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:Lambda would only explain rich running and even if you got rid of the fpr completely, it wouldn't over fuel that much. It only returns a tiny amount of fuel.

If the FPR us stuck open or the diaphragm is compromised it will be over fuelling plenty enough to explain the symptoms Sam has described. You know full well the pressure those things have in them, after mine nearly embedded itself in your forehead! Lol. They regulate to 3.2 bar (yes?) whereas the pumps pump at over 4. If there is nothing regulating that pressure of course it will be over fuelling enough. Up to and possibly beyond 1 bar too much.

Not saying its certainly this, but it from the problems Sam has described it sure does point to it.

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation High idle problem! PugRory 5 1,459 30-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Niall
  idle and constant speed problem getting worse Popeye_6 89 25,602 26-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Popeye_6