Solid beam mounts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solid beam mounts
I got some BM baker solid beam mounts back along 2nd hand. I cant decide wether to fit them or not. I drive on quite a lot of rough roads so i cant decide.

Just want to know the pros and cons of having them fitted
Thanks given by:
I've not driven with them but if you drive a lot of bumpy roads I would guess you'd be better of with standard mounts. From what people say solid mounts are more predictable and you don't get the lift off oversteer like you would with rubber. Cabbin noise, and harshness for rear passengers would also increase slightly.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Do it, I doubt you'll notice the extra harshness, and they make the handling IMHO much sharper in the corners when pushing hard/on track. You will get LOOS, but you'll have more ultimate grip before the rear lets go however it will be less progressive when it does.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Loads better than standard mounts, fit and forget.
I drive mine daily with 23.5mm torsion bars and hybrid ARB
Thanks given by:
I have them on mine, can't say i noticed any more road noise or harshness really and i prefer they way it drives now i wouldn't fit rubber mounts again mine is a daily work horse and i do 600 - 800 miles a week, but some people prefer the original mounts, its each to their own really.
Thanks given by:
I had a set of these didn't notice it any harsher and made the rear more stable imo
Thanks given by:
I don't like the way they drive, you lose a lot of the passive rear steer, which just makes the back-end feel a bit like dead weight. As others have said, oversteer becomes a lot more snappy too. Definitely detracts from the chuckability and character imo, will benefit from them if you just want better lap times though.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah when it goes it goes!,but I feel I can push more.definitely makes mine more stable and abit more predictable
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Ill be fitting mine soon!
Thanks given by:
I have had them since i bought the car, oversteer is bloody lovely Smile - do it
Thanks given by:
Ill just keep them to 1 side for when i ever drop the beam and fit them then i reckon
Thanks given by:
Solid mounts are alright. I prefered the way passive mounts take tight corners. You get a much a much better turn in. Solid mounts are good for people who are nervous of the back moving as with passive mounts if you go hard enough it can feel like the backs letting go but it isn't. Or if it feels squirmy, go quicker. It'll stop. I don't believe that that the solids produce more grip either. They just give it to you differently.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl
Thanks given by:
Frosty just needs to man up and fit them IMHO
Thanks given by:
Nah, sell them and grow some balls. Lol

Thanks given by:
Ive only very briefly driven a car with solid beam mounts but i do love the passive rear steer from standard mounts. Dont think i would buy solids tbh
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I had solids on my old Rallye. Great track mod, but i wouldn't want them at all unless the car was to be primarily for circuit use.
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
Hmm not so sure on fitting them now lol
Thanks given by:
They are not that bad, they are just not really designed for road use.

In a track car with thick torsion and anti roll bars, stiff shocks and springs, stripped interior and race seats, they are horrible on the road.

On a car with more road focus, ie: few smaller mods here and there, it will just mean the car is a bit noiser and feels like the rear beam is knackered. That said, it will do its intended purpose and firm the back end up, although many don't fit them to keep the characteristics of the rubber mounts.

No doubt partly due to a few of my other mods, but I found that with the solids on the road i could corner like a lunatic and lift off wherever i wanted. In a standard 6 I'd have been in a hedge.
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
(14-06-2015, 08:43 AM)Pebbles167 Wrote: They are not that bad, they are just not really designed for road use.

In a track car with thick torsion and anti roll bars, stiff shocks and springs, stripped interior and race seats, they are horrible on the road.

On a car with more road focus, ie: few smaller mods here and there, it will just mean the car is a bit noiser and feels like the rear beam is knackered.  That said, it will do its intended purpose and firm the back end up, although many don't fit them to keep the characteristics of the rubber mounts.

No doubt partly due to a few of my other mods, but I found that with the solids on the road i could corner like a lunatic and lift off wherever i wanted. In a standard 6 I'd have been in a hedge.

Eh? if it feels like the beam's knackered, that's because it is. Not because you've fitted solid mounts lmao
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Haha! Vibrations, knocking, noise. That's what i was trying to get at. I drove a 106 with a ruined beam and it made many noises, none of them good!
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
dont get any knocking noise from the rear of mine with solid mounts havent noticed any more noise in the car!

mind i have got a vibratec lower engine mount that is drowning most noise made by anything

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
I had no issue using solid mounts on the road. They do quell the back end movement. I just simply prefer the car handling how it was originally designed to. Not only that but you gotta wonder where the forces normally soaked up by the rubber mounts goes. My guess is its transferred to the next weak point which as I see it will be the beam bearings.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  rear beam mounts recommendations Magenta Sunset 22 4,239 20-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  Solid beam mounts rocker8742 29 4,996 22-04-2016, 05:00 PM
Last Post: luke306rallye
  Rear Beam Mounts? JTaylor2005 8 1,713 27-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Stef205