Good tyres for cyclones that won't cost me hundreds?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good tyres for cyclones that won't cost me hundreds?
Hi all,

I have finally finished refurbish my set of cyclones and need some tyred for them.
I have heard you can go for 50 instead of 55 which does bring the cost down a lot. I have looked at uniroyal rainsports 3 as they have good reviews.

What would you guys suggest?

Cheers,
Jack 
Thanks given by:
As im sure others will say if you got the money go for Michelin PS3s, don't think that overly expensive in 195/50
Thanks given by:
I have had lots uni royals great for the lovely wet UK roads but they wear quite fast 
Thanks given by:
So these are the michelin ones?
http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/mi...e=32211159

I have only ever heard good things about the uniroyal ones apart from them wearing a bit quicker.
There are quite a few tyres with A rating for wet grip. Some have a C rating for efficiency as well which would be a bonus keeping up my MPG haha.

Had a quick read of another thread further down and they all seem to say Ps3's as well haha. Probably should have looked around first. Sorry admins  Blush
Thanks given by:
Toyo t1-r's a re usually known to be a good budget price tyre
Thanks given by:
Those look like they would be brilliant for dry use but with an E grade rating the wet I don't think I could get them living in England when its raining all the time haha.

http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/to...e=10942912
Thanks given by:
T1r are shite. Only good for straight lines on dry roads...even then they wear quicker than rainsports. Avoid imo!
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2015, 09:26 AM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: So these are the michelin ones?
http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/mi...e=32211159

I have only ever heard good things about the uniroyal ones apart from them wearing a bit quicker.
There are quite a few tyres with A rating for wet grip. Some have a C rating for efficiency as well which would be a bonus keeping up my MPG haha.

Had a quick read of another thread further down and they all seem to say Ps3's as well haha. Probably should have looked around first. Sorry admins  Blush

Yeah there the 1s. I have never spent big money on tyres (usually run 2nd hands) but i have been thinking about getting a new pair for the front. Poss going to go for falkens or khumos which is mid range in my eyes
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2015, 09:46 AM)Toms306 Wrote: T1r are shite.  Only good for straight lines on dry roads...even then they wear quicker than rainsports.  Avoid imo!

They are actually pretty decent in the wet. I've used them in the past, couldnt complain at £50/corner for 17"s.

Yokohamas wear stupidly fast, went through a set in under 3000miles!

Pirelli p zero nero are an awesome tyre but were pricey last time i bought them
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2015, 09:14 AM)Frosty Wrote: As im sure others will say if you got the money go for Michelin PS3s, don't think that overly expensive in 195/50

ive got these. Theyre great.
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2015, 09:59 AM)Iceman299 Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 09:46 AM)Toms306 Wrote: T1r are shite.  Only good for straight lines on dry roads...even then they wear quicker than rainsports.  Avoid imo!

They are actually pretty decent in the wet. I've used them in the past, couldnt complain at £50/corner for 17"s.

People raved about them back in the day (2010)... I bought a set and was sorely disappointed! Not predictable at all, just 'snap' whenever they feel like it. Only set of tyres I've ever had a tank slapper with. Were terrible for standing starts as well, just span up on even on a mildly moist road. Tried them in the snow once...ended up in a kerb mm's from a lamppost. They weren't even cheap at the time and wore so quick it was daft...only on a 1.4, 1.8 and standard HDi as well...glad I never put them on anything with a bit of power! So yeah, not bought any since. Tongue
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2015, 10:38 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 09:59 AM)Iceman299 Wrote:

People raved about them back in the day (2010)...  I bought a set and was sorely disappointed!  Not predictable at all, just 'snap' whenever they feel like it.  Only set of tyres I've ever had a tank slapper with.  Were terrible for standing starts as well, just span up on even on a mildly moist road.  Tried them in the snow once...ended up in a kerb mm's from a lamppost. They weren't even cheap at the time and wore so quick it was daft...only on a 1.4, 1.8 and standard HDi as well...glad I never put them on anything with a bit of power!  So yeah, not bought any since. Tongue

Haha fair enough, not suprised you don't like them judging by your experience lol
Thanks given by:
Yeah t1rs are shocking in the wet tbf.. You try some decent tyres and youll notice the difference
Thanks given by:
PS3s all the way. Unfortunately, they're no longer available in 55 profile. I replaced the rears with GoodYear Efficient Grip in 55 profile which aren't too bad, got the fronts booked in Wednesday and I've plumped for a pair of Falkens. Had them on my old BMW and thought they were great for the price.

One of my sets of 50 profile PS3s will be going on when these are worn though.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
Avoid t1r's like the plague, I had a set go bald in 3k

I've been running maxxis tyres for a while now, most recent MA Z3's and I highly recommend them, good all round in wet and dry

One of the best wet tyres I ever had were kuhmo ku31 f*cking amazing tyres.
I don't rate falken at all really
Thanks given by:
Yokohama AD08R or Michelin pilot sport 3

Both are superb and not overly expensive. Don't just view the Yokohama as a track tyre, it's a very good road tyre too even in the wet.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a big win for the ps3 ones then Tongue will look into a set Smile having a 50 profile rather than 55 isn't too bad is it? Just a slightly lower profile meaning the speed gauge may read a little higher than it should?
Thanks given by:
I'm using Yokohama parade spec 2's and they're great!! Wouldn't use anything else, even got 9000miles out the fronts and that was mixed driving, the rears are still going lol
Thanks given by:
I run 55 pofile, toyo proxies on rear and Pirelli p600 on front, good amount of grip in wet as long as don't push it flat out around croners and roundabouts, and in the dry well i can push and turbo estate through a roundabout at 75 and it doesn't even tyre squeal
Thanks given by:
T1rs are really crap, rainsports not much better, spec 2s are good if you never drive in the cold or wet, but then we live in the UK. Adam b has got it on the head - ad08r or ps3, great tyres in all conditions imo.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(10-05-2015, 11:06 PM)Danaidh Wrote: I run 55 pofile, toyo proxies on rear and Pirelli p600 on front, good amount of grip in wet as long as don't push it flat out around croners and roundabouts, and in the dry well i can push and turbo estate through a roundabout at 75 and it doesn't even tyre squeal

75 around a roundabout with ditchfinders on? Lol you're brave ill give you that
Thanks given by:
They not ditch finders........
Thanks given by:
They are ditch finders
Thanks given by:
Avoid Pirelli P6000 at all costs. That's not just me, check the reviews.

Toyo T1R's are fine. Fast wearing with a soft flexible sidewall, but good levels of grip in the dry and great in the wet, for £40 - £50 a corner.

My personal recommendation would be Michelin Pilot Exalto 2's. Excellent road tyre.

Furthermore, adam is right about the Yokohama AD08 being a great road tyre, i just feel if track days are not on your agenda, there is cheaper, better road focused stuff available.
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
Ohhhh no they aren't! Tongue
Can't comment on how quick Toyo's wear, never keep a car long enough!
Thanks given by:
I lost the back of my old 306 on p6000s at 20mph on a slightly damp country lane. Recovered it fortunately but still, avoid.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I've got a great pic of the aftermath of p6000s in the wet on the pc, shame I'm on the phone atm lol, its a 306 upside down, just a day after swapping to p6000s. lol
Thanks given by:
I'm running Michelin Primacy 3 and although they were already on the car when I got it... I can't fault them really. Not heard much about them before though.
Thanks given by:
Just came across the pic...this is the result of P6000s all round...

[Image: 30903_418271311527_537846527_535082.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hahaha
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gaz coilover rebuild cost lolsteve 9 2,672 04-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Last Post: lolsteve