Help with cost of living Vol2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with cost of living Vol2
Right, Volume 2 of my moving out thread...

Basically, we need to move out pronto as baby is due in October. I'm on a good wage, girlfriend has just lost her job (damnit).

I've been speaking to various letting agencies and the costs are as follows on a 2-bed house @ £675/pcm rent
- Initial costs £216 admin fee to be paid immediately (this enables them to get references on you)
- £675 (one months rent) "Holding Fee" when references come back
- £1,012 (1&½ months rent) "Deposit" to be paid upon moving in
- The previous £675 "Holding Fee" now becomes your first months' rent.

Total cost = £1,903

Is that normal?

Because I'm going to be paying the rent my wage has to exceed 30x the monthly rent, which it just about does (3 months ago it wouldn't). I'm not sure whether we will be entitled to any benefits, obviously I need to get my girlfriend to sign on as there is not a hope in hell of her finding a job now she is starting to show, however this is just £56.25/week until baby arrives.

Just that near-2-grand figure is bothering me. I'm gonna struggle to find that in 7 weeks. I'll earn it, sure, but I won't be able to eat!!

How did others find it? Apparently the £216 admin fee is never to be seen again. Seems expensive just for the purpose of getting your references?!

Any help, as ever, much appreciated.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Sounds dead right to me. Agency fees are a joke, look privately if you can.

Normally 1.5 months deposit, then a month upfront.

Get saving....
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
That sounds pretty much spot on. I had to pay £100 just to added to the tenancy agreement where my mrs already lives. That's just daylight robbery if you ask me but the all the number you note are more than familiar. Luckily we are at the point where we can take the deposit from our old place and put it towards the next if you know what I mean. But the first time move is a really bugger. good luck with all of it though!
[Image: ocpic2.pg.jpg]
http://www.sanderson-brown.com
MrsMoonstone Wrote:Cats eyes get in the way of the racing line!
Moonstone HDi Phase 3- Scrapped Sad --- 1.6 Phase 2 - Scrapped Sad --- BMW 318is 1993 (Hyperventilates)
Thanks given by:
Hmm OK.

Will be searching privately too, obviously, as the deals you get are better. However, my mate recently revealed that he has no tenancy agreement whatsoever. Pressumably, someone has to pay for one of those to be drafted up (solicitor)?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
If you want to pay to have it done. Depends on the arrangement i guess, if i was going privately and i have done before i didnt pay a deposit because i knew i had no proof of it!
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Nope thats about right, thats why me and 3 other mates are moving in together, just got a house basically we have to pay

- £70 each for the referancing
- £250 holding depsit (comes off first months rent)
- Rent of £900 a month with the firsts months up front
- Deposit to move in Month and a halfs (£1350)

Thats a total of £2530, so to move in thats £632.5 each! Makes it cheaper to share but I doubt you'd want to expect a kid an all!

Then you've got your TV liecence, Council Tax, House insurance and then the setting up of all your bills such as gas/electric, tv package, internet etc!

You'll definately be up for benefits when you have the kid (child tax credits and all that jazz) just a shame your missues isn't in work and then get maturnety leave, ah well!
1st - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - Failed Gearbox
2nd - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - At 225,000 miles the engine fell out
3rd - Diablo 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Rust bucket
4th - Cherry Red 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Crashed 6 days after buying, Bah!
Thanks given by:
It's not very likely that you'll get one, but I'd put your name down for a council house, just in case you get lucky. Dirt cheap rent and great deals if you wanna buy the one you move into Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I think you can also qualify for a discount on your council tax too if your missus is redundant...

Not sure though, but defs worth the ask....

Christ though, I didnt realise/forgot how much renting was!! From memory our referencing wasnt so expensive (though my memory is rubbish!) and the deposit was only a months' rent...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
I will continue to look, £100 a month will make a lot of difference so Mrs c.a.r. will need to bear that in mind. I'm also worried about the impact of adding a potential 30 minutes onto my commute to work. That will increase my journey one way to 1-hour. Eek.
Thanks given by:
you will get family tax credit Chris, child tax credit and child benefit= about 100 quid a week . . .Smile rep button is down . . . .oh shit wait . . .. lmao

and all that other shit is pretty much standard issue, apart from it would be shit loaads cheaper if you lived up here . . Wink
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Yeah, same as our place...

Deposit is £1000 which is 1 and a bit months rent.
One Months Rent - £750
Some gay fee you have to pay when you FIRST move in - £250

Not to mention you've got your first months bills, setup charges for stuff like Broadband... Renting - sadly you do have to have a bit of backing behind you to get you in there in the first place.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
^^^ Yeah, Yorkshire FTepicW! lol
Thanks given by:
In the same position my self although our due date is September. Just got a federation house in Leeds. Had 1 months rent to pay up front. Just decorating and sticking down lights everywhere.

Rent is £79.90 a week and council tax is £88 per month. Gotta love living up north!
Thanks given by:
Whereabouts in Leeds mate? I live in Headingley which is one of the student areas, I'm guessing it's either here, Hyde Park, Burley or Woodhouse?
Thanks given by:
Middleton. Not too far from where I grew up.
Thanks given by:
Oh right, didn't know you were from Leeds originally. Used to go up there now and again, got a few mates there and in Belle Isle.
Thanks given by:
You have to pay the letting agency so they can get a reference? I know I'm in private renting but I never knew that!

You should deffo be entitled to a 25% discount on your council tax I believe as your mrs isn't working, child tax credits, family and child benefits, possibly a housing benefit too? - deffo worth looking into for a helping hand!
Thanks given by:
THE_Liam Wrote:Oh right, didn't know you were from Leeds originally. Used to go up there now and again, got a few mates there and in Belle Isle.

Yep lived in Leeds all my life.

MrsMidnight Wrote:You have to pay the letting agency so they can get a reference? I know I'm in private renting but I never knew that!

You should deffo be entitled to a 25% discount on your council tax I believe as your mrs isn't working, child tax credits, family and child benefits, possibly a housing benefit too? - deffo worth looking into for a helping hand!

Can't wait to get all the benifits. Entitled to more in benifits than my gf was earning in a week!
Thanks given by:
Looks bang on to me, our place is £750 a month and our total outlay at first was just over £2,100.

Depends where you for too, will be cheaper if you move out into the sticks, but then you've got the commute to worry about as you say. Just do what we do, save money everywhere else. You know the drill - do without tv, buy bulk from a butchers van/grocers instead of the supermarket, get hold of some really thick curtains from relatives, etc.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Go private with letting mate, letting agents fee's are a f*cking rip off and in my experience there are no benefits to being with them whatsoever.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House moving cost cpikey316_ 22 4,645 30-07-2016, 06:20 AM
Last Post: cpikey316_
  Living with a psychopath Paul_13 49 6,181 18-01-2016, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Adam CD P1
  How Much Has Your Car Cost You? Toms306 40 5,664 24-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Niall