Electrical issues - sidelights and glowies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electrical issues - sidelights and glowies
After an extensive swap around of looms (although very little butchery, certainly didn't cut anything to do with either of the issues) i have a couple of minor problems which i'm struggling to solve by myself. Bear in mind i have unplugged everything at some point and swapped looms a few times, so plugs may be crossed up or missed out, currently using a ph2 interior and dash looms with ph3 everything else.

Firstly, and most problematic as i want to mot soon, is the sidelights - when i turn the light switch on the stalk to sidelight position i get dash lights (and warning chime if ignition is off), but no sidelights. All other lights work just fine, including interior lights and other items tied into the same fuses and the all the various lamps in each exterior light cluster. Fuses are all fine, earths are fine, bulbs are fine, boards are fine, got feck all resistance on the wires, etc. 

Secondly is the glowplug warning lamp, which continues to light briefly at intervals after i turn the ignition off and remove the key... 

Will be doing more investigation with a multimeter when i go back, but could do with some pointers; electrics isn't exactly my strongest suit lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
So have you not been over it with a multimeter at all?
The dash lighting is run off of a separate feed switched by the stalk so it sounds like there is no power through the light feed to me or if its a few different looms, its a different pin out in the connector.

Edit: Im in New Milton Tuesday but in a meeting till late. If i finish at a decent time, want me to stop in?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
is there any differences in the looms, different pins outs etc ? did it do it before the loom was changed ?
Thanks given by:
If you've got time, Niall, that would be great. I've been over it with a multimeter and discovered the multimeter is broken. Worked enough to show there's no feed to fuses 4 and 9, although everything else that is supposedly fed from those fuses continues to work fine. There's no feed to the bulbs. The switch has live feed, bridging out the pins to the sidelights has the same effect as turning the stalk - dash lights come on and the warning buzzer if ignition is off.

Bigmac, i'm told the looms are the same. The car has been built from a bare shell and two donor cars over the course of a year, that's what i meant in the first post about the looms being swapped about. It didn't do it before the loom was changed, if it had and it was an issue with the loom i wouldn't be reusing it lol. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
So on your fuse box, what does the fuse that runs the sidelights run as well?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Make sure your main bulkhead connection is sound, mine was slightly out and weird stuff didn't work including the sidelights Smile
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Had a look at the bulkhead connector and there's a lot of different pins. Feel a bit of a twat because i took someone's word that the body and dash sides of the two looms were compatible and i should have just taken two seconds and checked myself... Now i have to take out the dash again lol, whoops! Would explain why the glowplug relay has a rogue feed too. Thanks for the help guys.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electrical woes bashbarnard 13 2,901 06-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard
Wink drl lights wired to sidelights help stokesy 23 7,132 31-10-2016, 08:42 PM
Last Post: RetroPug
  sidelights ? Owen_G_ 2 1,077 15-12-2014, 02:58 AM
Last Post: Owen_G_