Cordless impact wrench

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordless impact wrench
(03-05-2015, 08:33 AM)PocketFighter Wrote: Come and buy a Milwaukee tool from me at ECP lol

Do any sort of discount for us? Wink
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
10% off trade to all 306OC members Smile
Thanks given by:
I use mine for wheel bolts all the time... It saves a tonne of time to but them up to the wheel with the gun then just lean on a bar til you're happy with them. If you hold the gun flat out it'll just snap the bolt off lol.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(03-05-2015, 08:15 AM)Niall Wrote: Clarke stuff is OK but thats it. OK. You will find especially with cheaper cordless ones that although it may be 450nm for example, thats peak. Hence why Tom is saying his is always fine. His is mains.
If it were me, i would be going with Makita or Milwaukee (unless you can afford Snap on or Ingersol Rand but i think they only do air tools?). We've got both Makita and Milwaukee stuff at work which gets regular abuse and never gives up. Well worth the money tbh.
Ingersol rand do a battery range aswell. There w7150 battery tool is amazing.
Thanks given by:
Milwaukee are in no way as good as what the used to be, 100% Eastern owned company now, trading on the name and nothing more.
Thanks given by:
(03-05-2015, 10:42 AM)Tom Wrote: I use mine for wheel bolts all the time... It saves a tonne of time to but them up to the wheel with the gun then just lean on a bar til you're happy with them. If you hold the gun flat out it'll just snap the bolt off lol.

Oh I might try that, before I snap some wheel bolts lol

Thanks given by:
As I said to Steve on Facebook I've got a Clarke 24v and it's brilliant. The only thing it doesn't undo is over torqued wheel bolts (they come off fine if they are at the correct torque) and there's no way it'll touch a hub nut. It's great on suspension bits and the like

Obviously it's not as good as a Snap On one but if I was spending that amount of money I'd be buying a compressor and an air set up.
Thanks given by:
(03-05-2015, 10:42 AM)Tom Wrote: I use mine for wheel bolts all the time... It saves a tonne of time to but them up to the wheel with the gun then just lean on a bar til you're happy with them. If you hold the gun flat out it'll just snap the bolt off lol.

Bullshit. lmao

Sorry, but what type of cheese are your bolts made of? 
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(03-05-2015, 12:33 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: As I said to Steve on Facebook I've got a Clarke 24v and it's brilliant. The only thing it doesn't undo is over torqued wheel bolts (they come off fine if they are at the correct torque) and there's no way it'll touch a hub nut. It's great on suspension bits and the like

Obviously it's not as good as a Snap On one but if I was spending that amount of money I'd be buying a compressor and an air set up.

I've got one, and they're great to start with till the battery gives up. Instead of buying a new battery, I opted to purchase the mains Clarke unit. Not let me down yet, inc stubborn hub-nuts etc.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
As tempting as it is to go for the clarke think I'll be aiming for the Makita. It's a brand Dad uses for work tools and I recall him saying it cost him more in the long run having to replace cheap power tools all the time so he just buys makita now plus wouldnt want to spend £100 and find it just doesnt quite get everything undone
Better to have the power and not need it than need the power but not have it so to speak

Just hope it's not too long/big to be of use in the caliper/suspension areas
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(03-05-2015, 07:46 AM)cully Wrote:
(03-05-2015, 07:31 AM)Poodle Wrote: just have to operate it with slightly more finesse than your average gorilla.

and how many DUGA-DUGA does your torque scale go up too Smile

450/700 break away iirc. Lbft that is, not sure what she does in nm. 
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAKITA-18V-LXT...2ee051599a

So ready to order but want to be sure it'll fit in places I'm going to need it for? Like the suspension/brakes 

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Google its dimensions against a standard cordless and go test?
Thanks given by:
That makita is very similar to mine. There bloody brilliant I use mine mainly on big plant machinery does everything I ask even on the bigger 32mm etc stuff and does everything on cars with out blinking. If you can the genuine makita 4ah batteries are very handy over the 3ah ones.

BTW it is quite big. prob struggle to get in some areas

Also that on on ebay don't come with any batteries or charger. Just the base unit hense why it's cheap
Thanks given by:
Tbh Steve you'll struggle to get any impact gun that'll get in small spaces, at least anything that's powerful enough to be any use, getting a decent uj and some extensions for it will help though.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ordered the bigger Makita, total cost £240 with 3.0AH battery and charger. Figured I wont need a 4.0ah battery as im diy not professional and a full recharge is 20 minutes lol
Here's hoping to fast couriers and dry weekends Big Grin

Thanks given by:
ive got the old version of the clarke one and to be fair for the money ive been very impressed, must be best part of 6 years old now and still going strong, the only thing i had to replace was the trigger as it went faulty but that only cost me £12 and about 30 mins to fit!
Thanks given by:
Have you found it can remove everything you need it it though?
guy j was buying the 450nm one off lied about having stock so back to buying. Considering the smaller 280nm onow

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...72&alt=web

Thanks given by:
Update:
Got out to use it today, took wheel nuts off no sweat and combined with the impact sockets and breaker bar i was able to remove rusted in caliper bolts that would otherwise have rounded off/removed the pinch bolt which looked like it has fused with the hub. Very impressed with the power despite being the smaller version of the two and glad i got it instead of the big one.
Just need to sort out a UJ now to get better access. Will a normal silver one be okay?

Thanks given by:
(18-05-2015, 08:09 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Update:
Got out to use it today, took wheel nuts off no sweat and combined with the impact sockets and breaker bar i was able to remove rusted in caliper bolts that would otherwise have rounded off/removed the pinch bolt which looked like it has fused with the hub. Very impressed with the power despite being the smaller version of the two and glad i got it instead of the big one.
Just need to sort out a UJ now to get better access. Will a normal silver one be okay?

maybe once...maybe not. 

Maybe shear/shatter/splinter and shoot bits of chrome plating n metal into your face Undecided

I wouldn't risk it tbh!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I very often use silver sockets on my high powered air impact wrench although I know I shouldn't and although I've never broke one I wouldn't recommend anyone use silver sockets or extensions etc with an impact wrench.

Also look for a wobble joint rather than a UJ. UJ's seem to reduce the impacts power more.
Thanks given by:
Never use normal sockets on impacts.. Ive seen one shatter lol
Thanks given by:
As said I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but I do do it daily although I know I shouldn't.
Thanks given by:
Get a proper impact jobby, too easy to kill normal crv stuff, as others have said it can splinter/shatter. If you use your normal sockets with it you'll find yourself wanting a new set very soon, possibly with injuries to remind you.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Only thing I have ever struggled to remove has been a couple of crank pulley bolts which have taken a 6ft bar and a lot of force to undo!

I wouldn't recommend using an impact gun with a non impact socket as previously said they have a tendency of either splitting or shattering, neither of which you really want to happen!
Thanks given by:
I have impact sockets as didnt want the shattering due to the thin walls of the silver sockets. Just thought the thicker UJ would resist the toque. I'll get a wobble joint though

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Torque wrench, talk to me Matt 9 2,158 05-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Last Post: tigerstyle
  Jack and Torque Wrench Recommendations Kezzieboy 31 8,195 31-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Last Post: MisterGTR
  Recommend a impact gun (battery) clarkey2010 22 3,315 04-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum