Hammer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hammer
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, inexpensive hammer that would easily do the job of bashing the hubs off the bottom of the shocks? All I have is a small rubber mallet and it's doing absolutely nothing and the head is disintegrating.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ...l%20hammer

I've abused the hell out of mine daily for about three years and it's still great.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ill second poodles choice, had one as an apprentice died after 3-4 years of daily abuse, I mean gentle use Itwasntme 
Now i use a mac antivibe, same as the stanley antivibe awesome hammers if you can find one
Thanks given by:
I tend to find a good selection of cheaper hammers is better than one good one. I have a rolson 10lb sledge, a wilko 1lb lump and cheap smaller hammers, always got the right tool for the job then and I've had some hubs need the sledge.
Thanks given by:
I use lump hammers for anything like hubs.
Thanks given by:
Really shouldn't need a sledge on anything car-related, Chris, there's this thing called technique... Rolleyes

Probably worth going into somewhere like machine mart amd seeing how they feel, some prefer a 24oz ball pein. As a do everything hammer it's hard to beat for the price though.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Stick a square drive in the hub split at the back and turn ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
8mm hex key in the pinch slot and turn, shock should pull out easy if the bottom ball joint has been released Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
I tend to use lump hammers for everything...got fed up with the little pussy hammers lol. But then again I'm an impatient bugger.

The 8mm key doesn't always work (hex or square), I've had a few that still wouldn't budge like that.
Thanks given by:
I'll take another look at it before investing in a bigger hammer, thanks guys.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
The only thing on any of my cars I had to get the lump or sledge out to was the old seized axle, so far I haven't found much a 32oz can't shift
Thanks given by:
(28-04-2015, 09:00 PM)RetroPug Wrote: Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, inexpensive hammer that would easily do the job of bashing the hubs off the bottom of the shocks? All I have is a small rubber mallet and it's doing absolutely nothing and the head is disintegrating.

Have i just read that correctly you want to bash hubs off with a hammer?!
Why dont you buy a small cheap puller instead of potentially bending something especially on the rear hubs. Hitting anything on a beam can do more damage than good.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2015, 12:01 PM)Stef205 Wrote: Have i just read that correctly you want to bash hubs off with a hammer?!
Why dont you buy a small cheap puller instead of potentially bending something especially on the rear hubs. Hitting anything on a beam can do more damage than good.

i think he means the front hub carriers on the front shocks Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
I meant knocking the hubs downwards off the bottom of the front shocks.

The rear beam has been replaced with a fully rebuilt one. No beams were harmed in the rebuilding of this vehicle. Big Grin

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2015, 06:09 AM)Poodle Wrote: Really shouldn't need a sledge on anything car-related, Chris, there's this thing called technique...
Yeah I get that but I like having a full 10lbs of technique
Thanks given by:
I go with gentle taps with the sledgehammer on the hub as well tbh
Thanks given by:
A decent sized copper mallet is what I'd want to use for knocking hubs off the bottom of struts - opening up the hubs is your best bet

I've also got one of these which is pretty good as an all round hitting stick

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-ball...-1kg/20156
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  £15 hammer drill from Aldis! Get them while they're hot! 306Puggy 7 3,831 14-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Puggie
  Hammer time ... no wait MOT time, err same thing! Megamonkey 13 13,495 19-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Megamonkey