Wire thickness for cooling fan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wire thickness for cooling fan
Will be installing my slim line fan on a switch in the cabin, whats the best wire to use? Id imagine it'll need to be fairly thick stuff for a fan? Any recommendations?

Cheers!!
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
You will need to run it through a relay because the current draw will generally be too high for a switch. Fans can draw from 2 to 25amps depending on model so the best bet is to find out what current your fan draws and match the wire thickness to suit.
Thanks given by:
I'd be running at least 3mm^2 cable even to a slim line fan, the ones on the buggy take 20amps at full speed, but peak input current is in the region of 50-55amps when they first spool up.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Got it sorted now, the slim lines only draw about 6.5 amps in to an 80watt motor, chucked some cable rated to 20 amps on just to be safe though

Cheers for the help
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  wire identification pug306driver 0 961 04-12-2019, 10:53 AM
Last Post: pug306driver
  what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation HDIkyle 20 6,911 21-02-2016, 03:44 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Random Wire Off Starter Eddleston 3 1,594 03-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Niall