What would you buy?!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you buy?!?
Well I've definitely had a warm welcome to the forum and am greatful of everyone's input.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigions. I may keep my 306 as a second car but ATM I'm using the car for work aswel and rocking up in the 306 isn't giving me the most professional image.

I don't really need a van as I pretty much only carry a tool box, but with a 3-7k budget what would you buy?

I'm looking for a diesel, sporty, good looking car not to big but any ideas or thoughts?!?
Thanks given by:
I would go for a...
wait for it...
Err....
I'm gonna say it....

Seat Leon FR TDi...???

DON'T SHOOT GUYS! but I enjoy the ride in those torquey beasts....

It might tick your boxes Farmingstock:
not too big
Diesel
Sporty looking
Professional (ish)

and a boot big enough for a toolbox Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Fabia VRS TDI
Ibiza 130/160 Cupra
Leon 150
406 Coupe 2.2
206 GTI HDI
207 GT HDI 110
Loads more Smile
Thanks given by:
Something without a DPF... Dodgy
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 05:48 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Something without a DPF... Dodgy

Takes pretty much most diesels in his budget out of the question then Tom lol
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 05:55 PM)MY95 Wrote:

Takes pretty much most diesels in his budget out of the question then Tom lol

Yep, buy a petrol would be my advice. lol

Problem is, there aren't any proper eco petrols in that budget either. Sad Not sure how long it'll take before anything EcoBoost becomes a reasonable price. Confused The Renault TCE is in budget but...well....you have to drive a Renualt... lol
Thanks given by:
Was waiting for you to say 'buy a petrol' Tom lol Was tempted to beat you to it Tongue
Id say lease something if you have a stable long term job
As you said Tom im not sure id go for a petrol car in his budget
Id probably say just get a reliable diesel - something like the newest 206 HDI 90 possible, the sports go to 2006 I think and are under his budget of 3k
Thanks given by:
His budget is £3-7k as I read it? So he'll be wanting something significantly better than a 206 I'd assume... Wink Plenty of diesels without DPFs for under £3k lol, anything 1.9 PD for a start...
Thanks given by:

Hard pressed there, they are all going that way Sad

Get a car without a dual mass clutch bollocks too....

I dunno if the leon has that actually...hmmm i'll have to check
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 06:06 PM)highwayman306 Wrote:

Aren't dmf's and dpf's standard feature on all newer diesels?
Thanks given by:
Id go Fabia VRS with a Stage 1 map to 170 if it was my choice... Or the Ibiza Cupra 160 mapped to 200bhp and many torques
Although they both have DPF's dont they? Wouldnt put me off though, would just get it mapped out.
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 06:09 PM)Iceman299 Wrote:
(10-04-2015, 06:06 PM)highwayman306 Wrote:

Aren't dmf's and dpf's standard feature on all newer diesels?

hmmm, where did it all go wrong? Sad so very expensive to replace
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 06:04 PM)Toms306 Wrote: anything 1.9 PD for a start...

He wants something decent. Not something that belongs in a vehicle with Massy Ferguson written down the side!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
DMF's aren't all that bad nowadays tbh, they stop you ruining gearboxes and usually last as long as the clutch anyway. Have to realise VNT turbos and other modern tech means gearboxes have to put up with a lot more abuse than on something like a 306 HDi. Of course there will always be exceptions and a few explode early.

But DPFs are purely there to ruin the car... Honestly they don't even do the job they're supposed to! Just make you pay more for the car, more for the part WHEN (not if) it needs changing, more for the turbo when it inevitably breaks due to the DPF causing backpressure, more for the Eolys if necessary and above all more in fuel!! If they spent more on getting MPG up rather than just shoving a filter in the get the soot down everyone would be better off... Dodgy

Maybe if Farage gets in we won't have to bother with EU regs any more.... lol
Thanks given by:
I have been looking at astra sri 150, golf gtd, seat Leon's, Audi A3/4 slines but all high mileage.. Well I say high mileage I think paying 7k for something with 90,000 miles is a joke but that's just my personal opinion.

At the higher end of the scale I'd be wanting 09/10 plate minimum, maybe it's a case of champagne taste, lemonade money but seriously car prices are a joke these days.

thanks for the suggestions though guys I'm going to have a few more options to look at now?
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 06:09 PM)MY95 Wrote: Id go Fabia VRS with a Stage 1 map to 170 if it was my choice... Or the Ibiza Cupra 160 mapped to 200bhp and many torques
Although they both have DPF's dont they? Wouldnt put me off though, would just get it mapped out.

Yeah they both have DPFs, although the VAG DPF is slightly better than the older PSA version.

Mapping out costs a fair bit on newer cars, plus the cost to gut/weld as well so it's not cheap to do. Plus I've read, and can't prove either way atm, that there will be extra MOT checks in place in a couple of years to avoid people gutting DPFs.

(10-04-2015, 06:14 PM)Niall Wrote:
(10-04-2015, 06:04 PM)Toms306 Wrote: anything 1.9 PD for a start...

He wants something decent. Not something that belongs in a vehicle with Massy Ferguson written down the side!

lol They are about as refined as XUDs I agree. Was just making the point that they didn't have DPFs.
Thanks given by:
golfs are nice (pretty much a leon or A3 anyway Big Grin ) but you could get a merc for £5500, theres a coupe going for that much down t' road from me Big Grin
Thanks given by:
What do you do for a living then? I use my estate as a daily workhorse, and no-one has ever said anything about it, apart from the fact that it's not your average builders vehicle! lol In fact, one of my customers did actually say it looked fairly professional, especially with the ladder on the roof rack! Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
VW Phaeton!!!!
You'll look like you own the company.
Diesels start at about £4500 for a 3.0TDi 4motion and there is even a 6.0 W12 in budget on autotrader for you ( that 6.0 W12 lump is the lump the Bentley Continental GT uses)

[Image: VW_Phaeton_3.0_V6_front.JPG]
Thanks given by:
I have to say that I rock up to meetings for my apps business in the pug complete with tow bar and roof rack that I use for street food and actually get asked why so retro. I think image is down to what you think you appear as to clients, personally I drive what I enjoy, don't need a Merc to sell an app, if anything that would make my apps look expensive if I could afford that sort of motor
Mechanic in the 90's
Chef in the noughties
Now just pissing about with catering
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 07:39 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: VW Phaeton!!!!
You'll look like you own the company.
Diesels start at about £4500 for a 3.0TDi 4motion and there is even a 6.0 W12 in budget on autotrader for you ( that 6.0 W12 lump is the lump the Bentley Continental GT uses)

[Image: VW_Phaeton_3.0_V6_front.JPG]

Phaetons are stupid cheap and offer ridiculous luxury for the price.

If you want image at a reasonable budget then you'd be hard pressed to beat one.
Thanks given by:
I basically test wiring in buildings and properties, it is my own company and I do own it! Long story shortish, I had an audi a4 and a 2dr 380bhp impreza toy, both immaculate and low mileage. I sold the audi due to one reason or another and bought the 306 as a stop gap! 3 years later I've still got the 306 but sold the subaru!!

Everywhere I go, my clients expect me to turn up in a van or some sort of executive car, not the 5dr 306 with big wheels!!

Ideally a white 2010 golf gtd with 70k will turn up at good money.. But as I learnt at an early age, it's always good to have another option
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 10:07 PM)Farmingstock Wrote: I basically test wiring in buildings and properties, it is my own company and I do own it! Long story shortish, I had an audi a4 and a 2dr 380bhp impreza toy, both immaculate and low mileage. I sold the audi due to one reason or another and bought the 306 as a stop gap! 3 years later I've still got the 306 but sold the subaru!!

Everywhere I go, my clients expect me to turn up in a van or some sort of executive car, not the 5dr 306 with big wheels!!

Ideally a white 2010 golf gtd with 70k will turn up at good money.. But as I learnt at an early age, it's always good to have another option

Pics of said impreza please? Tongue

If its purely image your worried about, maybe try a 2007 onwards audi A3 s line tdi?
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
This is the car you want, complete with a trailer

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=30028
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 10:07 PM)Farmingstock Wrote: I basically test wiring in buildings and properties, it is my own company and I do own it! Long story shortish, I had an audi a4 and a 2dr 380bhp impreza toy, both immaculate and low mileage. I sold the audi due to one reason or another and bought the 306 as a stop gap! 3 years later I've still got the 306 but sold the subaru!!

You do EICR's for a living? If so, would it not suit your business image more to have a van? You can pick up some very nice vans these days, well specced and drive like cars.
If you're looking at cars from the VAG range, i would avoid A3s tbh. Its just sickening how little you get for your money just for that badge and all it is is a Golf! Id much rather have the golf, have more spec and still probably change in my pocket.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yes that's pretty much what I do, but I only really have a tool box. I have looked at vans which Probably would be best, but eventually I will have to by another car as I have a family.

To be honest I want something that looks professional for work, yet still has a bit of poke.
Thanks given by:
The Phaeton looks epic Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Christ i dont envy you doing that job all day every day! lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
If it's primarily a works vehicle, for your own company, why don't you lease as a company car?

Then you can have something brand new for very little outlay, plus plenty of money for a weekend toy...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I have seriously thought about leasing! The only thing is damage, I have rented vans before and once returned they go over them with a fine tooth comb... Any damage needs to be paid for and no matter how careful I am.. Over a standard two year lease the car will ultimately have the odd stone chip, kerbed wheel, car park ding ect and I'd be limited to a certain amount of miles.

My mate got absolutely stung when he took his rental back after two years and he drives like he's driving miss daisy (unlike myself) ended up having to pay for alsorts.

Put me off a bit tbh.
Thanks given by: