Fuel Pressure Fluctuations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Pressure Fluctuations
My HDi has been running a bit rough of late, but intermittently. Finally got PP2000 on to it today, and one thing I noticed is the 'Required Vs Actual Fuel Pressure' fluctuates by 75bar. This seems a lot to me, but in the world of HDi could it be causing me issues?

The car does run on for 1 sec after switching off, and the MPG has dropped like a turd into the high 30s. 
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
Car running on for abit after turning the key off, 99% of the time points to fuel pressure regulator problem. Try cleaning it?
Thanks given by:
FPR mate, if it runs on that is the cause
Thanks given by:
FPR 100%
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
I'll give cleaning the FPR a go.

This car is starting to annoy me, it was absolutely spot on this morning on the school run. Planted the pedal and it took off like a scalded cat, with no smoke too. Other mornings, sluggish and pretending to be a dockyard tug-boat!
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
How many miles has she done? Don't usually see fpr issues cause low mpg or power, i wonder if it could be injectors or a management problem...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Refurbed 072 injectors fitted last September too.

Tempted to drop it back to the standard map and see if it behaves itself.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
Hmm, probably not injectors then lol.

Try the fpr and work from there, i guess.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Bit of an update on this;

Changed the fuel filter a couple of weeks ago (completely forgot to change it on it's last service), and is now absolutely flying. A total revelation if I'm honest, with much less smoke. Only other thing I've done is unhook the battery to connect my slimline fans.

Now, a little while ago I fitted a refurbed throttle switch. Something tells me that disconnecting/reconnecting the battery makes the ECU 'learn' it's potentiometers again. Is this true or am I talking bollocks?
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
Nope, ecu resets itself.
There's a thread on the guide which tells you the procedure

I need to do my fuel filter again. Avoid halfords filters an go for something decent
Thanks given by:
I know you can reset the ecu on these, but thought it was a bit more complex a procedure than disconnecting the battery for a bit. Can't remember where i found the information either, sorry lol. Worth doing though, made a huge difference on my old hdi when i'd fixed a few problems.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?...#pid509089
Thanks given by:
Oh LOL, cheers Paul.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
That reset won't remove any map settings or anything will it haha? Its not like a stock reset? just resets the learned parameters?
Thanks given by:
(28-06-2015, 12:02 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: That reset won't remove any map settings or anything will it haha? Its not like a stock reset? just resets the learned parameters?

Oooh good question! That would be an epic fail if it did lol
Thanks given by:
No it won't AFAIK, I'm fairly sure I did this on my estate and it kept the map.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Well went for it and I don't think it has removed the map haha.
Thanks given by:
It won't, done it myself twice
Thanks given by:
(28-06-2015, 06:27 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Well went for it and I don't think it has removed the map haha.

Made any difference?
Thanks given by:
Ahhh hit and miss. Seems not a sprightly lower down but better when I'm cruising. The response when doing 40/50 and you put your foot down seems better
Thanks given by:
You can't lose the map by taking the battery off, so don't worry about that.
I'm also fairly sure taking the battery off doesn't really do anything anyway on the HDi as there aren't any adaptive parameters in those ECUs. It makes corrections for each injector when the engine is running, but as far as I know they aren't saved in the memory. I think an 'ECU reset' is just one of those placebo effects and people think it fixes things.

It does work on other ECUs like the petrol pugs but those adaptions are for the ECU to learn the position of the thorttle valve stepper motor and the EGR stepper motor, both of those we don;t have on a HDi.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Haha well there ya go then. Placebo effect. I still swear my car has different moods tbf lol. Probably was just in its good mood after replacing the battery lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Pressure Regulator JTaylor2005 3 2,150 11-04-2018, 07:30 AM
Last Post: mr_fish
Brick No fuel pressure Uberderv 13 3,058 04-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Uberderv
  Idle fluctuations? JTaylor2005 10 1,699 09-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Poodle