1.4 Meridian engine modding

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.4 Meridian engine modding
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone had any tips for getting more power from my 1.4 that does not involve swapping the engine or changing car. I've been looking into changing the cylinder head and camshaft to the 106 1.4 xsi but I realise that this is not cheap and I would still need to remap it afterwards.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Many thanks
Thanks given by:
There is no real power to be gained from the 1.4 without spend large amounts of money

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Yeah spending money is the only way to do it, but I can pick up a 106 1.4 xsi engine for about £100, which isn't too bad, because all I want from it is the cylinder head and cam system. I've also got a mate who can get me an induction kit for £40. But I just wanted to know if anyone else has tips for getting more power than the methods I'm already going for.
Thanks given by:
Probably not what your wanting to hear but best bang for you buck will be an engine change to a GTI6 engine
But then you may as well swap cars, not much you can do to the 1.4 and not much point in throwing loads of money into it IMO
Probably cost you quite a bit to insure all the mods your thinking of anyway, may as well just stump up the cash and trade in and buy a 1.6/1.8/2.0 really, don't think a 1.6 would be that much more to insure than the 1.4.
Thanks given by:
I know that an engine swap will be best value for money, but what I'm wanting is to be able to tell people that I've only got a 1.4 but have it fly like s**t off a shovel
Thanks given by:
Thats a nice idea but not really possible, turboing it is an option but very costly and still wont really go like shit off a shovel. Id look at a 1.6 16v swap out of either a 206/106/saxo and cam/turbo/supercharge that if your wanting to keep the engine size quite low.
Thanks given by:
I can't do an engine swap because I only get 2 days off of work a week and I can't afford to have my car off the road for more than 2 days at a time :/
Thanks given by:
Thats a fair point, nothing much you can do at all then without spending a few thousand, id just say get some sort of induction and exhaust set up and leave it at that until you can afford something quicker as standard Smile  The more bits you start modifying the less reliable it gets so worth thinking about that if you cant afford to have it off the road Smile 
Thanks given by:
That is true, I've got an ideation kit on order and I've got a mate who said he'd remap the ECU once I've sorted everything else out. Is there any exhaust system you'd be able to recommend?
Thanks given by:
Put a short ratio 'box on it off the 106.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
What sort of top end speed could I expect off of a short ratio box though?

Also do you have any opinion on what exhaust system would suit my car?
Thanks given by:
Some tough love.

You're asking for advice then completely ignoring peoples solid advice. Back on the subject. There is only a handful of stubborn people that have tuned TU 8V's, even 1.6 motors can only achieve a reliable 150bhp after £2k+. GTI6 would be quarter of the price for more power.

That engine is essentially the same as the 205's of the late 80's, its fecking old! A induction kit, remap and exhaust will do absolutely feck all other make it sound shite. Christ, a remapped HDI would embarrass one of those!
Thanks given by:
I like how you call the TU an old engine then recommend an XU Big Grin
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Haha, this is true, although I'm not strictly recommending it just stating its cheapness. IMO a 8V has got exactly 25% of the correct amount of camshafts!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Easiest engine swap for a phase 3 1.4 meridian tu3 Teeharv 19 8,365 30-07-2018, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Alan_M