Red Rallye resto

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Rallye resto
Right, so got a few more bits zinc plated today. Finally seem to have the hang of it now which is good news.....today's bits came out really well. Wife not over happy about them hanging up drying I'm the spare room but never mind....hard to get the lighting right as well so you can get a good idea of the colour. Crap Microsoft work phone isn't helping....

[Image: IMG_20160903_115738_zpswuyvmdpm_edit_147...m2ypxv.jpg]

[Image: WP_20160903_16_41_22_Pro_zpsbo1ammpq.jpg]

[Image: WP_20160903_16_41_35_Pro_zpsk3m8oxpa.jpg]

[Image: WP_20160903_16_42_18_Pro_zpsyrmnqify.jpg]

A few of the bits I've done so far...

[Image: WP_20160903_16_43_23_Pro_zpsqphfaun6.jpg]

Also mixed up a batch of the last of my Deox C and have a load more bits soaking in that. Did it in the Deox C bottle as it has a wide top. Chuck everything in, close the lid, handy for giving the whole lot the occasional shake!
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
wish i had the time to do what you are doing and the money lol. looking good though. def worth doing to a rallye
Thanks given by:
A few more unobtainium bits turned up today.....

Brand new subframe mounts cups and a proper Rallye part numbered bolt, none of this Berlingo rubbish!

[Image: WP_20160912_19_02_33_Pro_zpsfoazq4in_edi...odhevd.jpg]

This parts ocdness is gonna kill me!
Thanks given by:
wow! what a resto!

loving the work mate
Thanks given by: Ben_w
Getting a bit carried away with this 'news bits' stuff.

Found a seller on eBay selling a bag of 9 of the washers for all the subframe fittings. Only need 6 in total but guess someone needed one and Peugeot did their usual and would only sell a bag of 10!

£5 delivered when pug want £1 a piece. (Mr Burns voice...) Excellent.........

[Image: IMG_20160915_200623_zpsjax23nrx.jpg]

However, it worries me. The more new bits I get, the more I want. I suspect that unless it's the shell or a substantial part, this bloody Rallye is going to be ending up more new parts than old!
Thanks given by:
Nothing wrong with that! Big Grin definitely taking alot of inspiration from your build for my own dude Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
as long as its all cheap (good value) and helps towards the end goal then theres no issues! Love what youre doing and thanks for posting pics with part numbers in. great help for those of us who will want to do the same ourselves later on.
Glad you boys are enjoying things!

will keep.posting pics and part numbers! Cant quite believe how much of a detail freak I've become!
Thanks given by:
looking great!
Thanks given by:
Some more brand new parts ordered from my parts man.....

A load of the fuel line clips for the engine ay and under the car. A lot of mine broke going off and the ones that didn't were covered in that horrible underseal crap...

Some of the NFP brackets and pipe clips that hold the power steering pipe that runs across the front cross member.

Also got a brand new passenger side skirt coming. Wasn't happy with either of mine as they've taken a bit of a battering over time and the parts where the rivets go through are broken. He's looking out a drivers side one too but getting very thin on the ground apparently.
Thanks given by:
Brand spanking new, still in the original Peugeot box, side skirt! The first of a few new panels!

[Image: IMG_20161007_203224_zps05ihzp9k.jpg]

I didn't realise they came with all the clips, including the unobtanium one...

[Image: IMG_20161007_203302_zpsejjbytup.jpg]

My latest eBay bargain.....a Rallye H/U, complete with code. Replacement for the one I have where I broke a tiny bit of the surround.

[Image: IMG_20161007_203545_zpsninf8abx.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20161007_203623_zpsbfrounhi.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Dude this OCD'ness is unreal Big Grin keep it up! Jealous of the sideskirt clips Sad
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(26-07-2016, 06:51 AM)Ben_w Wrote: A bit of a result......

Put something on the 306 forum Facebook page about those rusty inner wing brackets. A guy from New Zealand is breaking a 306 and they don't get rust issues. One pair of lovely sexy rust free brackets on their way to me...

[Image: received_1726919954226578_zpsiixfvd2y.jpeg]

Gotta love the internet! Huge thanks to Brent!

Great project!
Doing something similar myself but to a lesser extent (thankfully the rust is less significant)

If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about getting someone to ship these brackets, as mine too are rotten (odd as everything surrounding them is sound)...
[Image: New%20GTi6%20Filmstrip%20sig2_zpsu8ocrldg.jpg]
Thanks given by:
how much did the replacement skirt set you back? I remember buying one from Peugeot a few years ago, I had to ask for the fittings.
Thanks given by:
It cost me £98 delivered I think. It was part of a package of parts from my parts man.

(16-10-2016, 09:54 PM)MCH Wrote:
(26-07-2016, 06:51 AM)Ben_w Wrote: A bit of a result......

Put something on the 306 forum Facebook page about those rusty inner wing brackets. A guy from New Zealand is breaking a 306 and they don't get rust issues. One pair of lovely sexy rust free brackets on their way to me...

[Image: received_1726919954226578_zpsiixfvd2y.jpeg]

Gotta love the internet! Huge thanks to Brent!

Great project!
Doing something similar myself but to a lesser extent (thankfully the rust is less significant)

If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about getting someone to ship these brackets, as mine too are rotten (odd as everything surrounding them is sound)...

He just offered! I didn't have to ask! And he wouldn't let me pay either!!!!!
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2016, 08:11 PM)Ben_w Wrote: He just offered! I didn't have to ask! And he wouldn't let me pay either!!!!!

Did you just mention it on here? I don't suppose you could ask him if another set could be available? (obviously I don't expect for free)
Thanks given by:
Was on one of the Peugeot Facebook groups.

I'll ask him
Thanks given by:
Thanks
Thanks given by:
That's cheap that ben, I think it cost me a lot more than that.
Thanks given by:
Just had a read through this. Or a lot of it. I am seriously impressed with the effort going into it Big Grin nice work. Look forward to more updates. The electrolysis and zinc plating looks fantastic as well.
Thanks given by:
Few more new parts arrived today. Subframe bolts, abs wiring protector and fixings for the power steering fluid cooling pipe.

[Image: WP_20161111_22_30_24_Pro_zpsn5x6ianf_edi...r2e6zy.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Time for an update on this.

Firstly, a massive, massive thank you to everyone who voted for this in the end of year awards. I'm properly proud of that and has just motivated me some more to continue with the level of detail I'm going to on the resto.

Hasn't been any progress at all really of late. The front subframe and suspension is back on and it's off axle stands, mainly so I could move it on the drive as id left it at the front of the drive meaning our other two cars had to park on the road. Not ideal in a small cul de sac. Other than that, I've been very busy at work (food distribution at this time of year) and cash going on other things.

I ended up working all this weekend at the request of my bosses boss and as a result, managed to wangle a bit of a deal.....means January's pay packet will be somewhat heavier which I've agreed with the wife will pay for the Rallye to go and have the front end blasted and 2k primed. Not entirely sure who I will use yet but looking at a company called Faircharm Restorations in Leicester who I follow in face book and who do some very very good work, although if anyone knows anywhere good in Leicester who they'd recommend, please let me know.

First job though will be to get it to my mates unit and up on his ramps one day and finish the underside. Needs a good wash down on the bits I've done, plus a few bits at the front finishing properly and the tunnel doing now I've finally had the downpipe heat shield off. Needs some threaded sections welding back on for the heat shield bolts as a couple of these sheared when I was removing them and then the fuel tank strap stud doing as well.

Once that lot is done, it's time to think about having the underside and engine bay painted properly (base and heavy duty clear) and then I can start thinking about getting the body painted and the car rebuilt.

Ideally, I'd like the car back on the road by next Christmas but £££ will be a big factor.

Again, thanks for all the positive comments and support.
Thanks given by:
Been a while since i updated this.

To be honest, it's been a long time since i did anything on the Rallye. Life being life, time being the slippery bugger it is etc it's just sat on the drive, waiting for me. The intention is there though.

It got a bloody good wash today. Looking at it, i was pretty disgusted with it. Filthy, lot of green mould etc. The paint has faded even more on the roof, top of the passenger side door and it looks more mismatched from a paint point of view than ever. No big deal, it was always going to be painted.

Pics are rubbish but you get the idea.

[Image: 20170326_142131_zpshvhi6k9t.jpg]

[Image: 20170326_142127_zps8pglfq1x.jpg]

[Image: 20170326_142125_zpszkyyh1q2.jpg]

Got another expensive month coming up but have a barrel load of overtime on this payslip. Few things to pay out for but then I'm hoping there will be enough left to kick start this project again and get the front end blasted and 2k primed.

The bigger issue comes with the engine and gearbox. My friend with the garage unit closed his business at Christmas. Bit of a dispute with his landlord and is locked out at the mo. My engine, gearbox and a seat are still inside. Not a realm issue to solve as i can buy another engine and box but I'd rather not. I'm planning on using funds from the sale of the Insignia to really get this project going again.
Thanks given by:
So, the insignia kinda sparked my interest in cars again after a rough 12-18 months. That led to me looking at the Rallye and thinking, I'd really like to drive that again….

If I'm to do that, there's a lot of work to do yet. So, this afternoon, the red rallye restoration recommenced.

First job was to get under it and see how its held up underneath. All of it got bare metalled, it all got zinc primered and some got done with the two part epoxy. The boot floor got stone chipped and painted.

Considering it spent 9 months though autumn, winter and spring on a wet grass bank, and then another summer, autumn and winter on my drive, it's held up incredibly well. It's proven to me I've used the right stuff. There is a little surface rust towards the front bulkhead, but this is due to this section only getting zinc primered and the rust actually appears to be the zinc in the primer. A rub with a finger and it's gone. Good stuff. So, the pics (and this is exactly how I've found it after all this time, no cleaning etc)

[Image: IMG_20170401_155303_zps2hbqye7a.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20170401_155314_zpsfqnnci0l.jpg]

Boot floor and tank area (this bit's been epoxy mastic’d)

[Image: IMG_20170401_155334_zpscjv0mpdk.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20170401_155343_zpsduzxzdlx.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20170401_155414_zps3zgox8x3.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20170401_155417_zpsyggersez.jpg]

Very, very pleased with that lot.

So, got busy with a small wire brush in a drill at the front of the car to remove the surface rust. You can see how clean the metal is underneath.

[Image: IMG_20170401_161649_zpssng94m7n.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20170401_161640_zpsvt0n6tad.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20170401_161633_zpscdvvlzdn.jpg]

Now, I'm not happy with this triangular strengthener. It's out of shape, probably from errant jacking and there is surface rust under the mounting flanges and God knows what else under the body of it

[Image: IMG_20170401_161606_zpssxefb5mg.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20170401_161556_zpso9weh1i1.jpg]

There's a tag that sits over the chassis rail which oddly isn't spot welded. I pulled this back.

[Image: IMG_20170401_161525_zpsodyzpj8d.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20170401_161529_zpsle5bsdai.jpg]

I'm currently investigating if these little strengthener sections are available. They appear to be fixed with a total of 5 spot welds. My plan is to drill out the spot welds and replace if i can find new parts or clean up, straighten and then replace if they are not.

I need to buy a new grinder tomorrow. My mate needed his 110v back so gave me another but it's not an M14 spindle, which all my wire brush attachments are. Weather forecast is good for tomorrow so plan is gym, nip to argos for a grinder, then subframe off and finish bare metalling the front end/base of the bulkhead. I'm also looking to get a rotisserie so i can spin it over and work at it in a far more ergonomically comfortable position. My shoulder still isn't right and thoughts are at the mo I've done the rotator cuff (too many years of throwing shot putts, discuses and hammers….) plus it's far safer having a grinder with a wire brush doing 10k rpm at arms length, rather than inches directly above your face….
Thanks given by:
Today was about three things.

Cider hangover…….good time seeing our best friends yesterday night for dinner and carried on when we got home!

Grinder shopping

Stripping!

So, have got to Argos at 10:45, not realising it didn't open until 11 and being shocked at just how many people were there waiting, grinder was purchased and i was on the way home.

First things first, brew. Tis the law on a Sunday morning when you might not be feeling your best! Brew done and outside to get busy.

First job was take the subframe, hubs and struts off, again! The bits i zinc plated myself have held up very well indeed, I'm very happy.

[Image: IMG_20170402_124324_zpsoiaiklko.jpg]

[seeIMG]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/ben_wells77/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-04/IMG_20170402_124330_zps1tsvkdab.jpg[/IMG]

This is as far as i got before…..

[Image: IMG_20170402_124339_zpslzdr6g4j.jpg]

Anyway, i got busy firstly on the passenger side arch. The one big issue with the Rallyes seems to be the hidden rust. There's that much seam sealant/stone chip under there which looks fine on top, but underneath it's a different story. This is by the welded in bracket that hold the brake flexible pipes. I took this pic as i stopped with the grinder as it was a good opportunity to show what's going on. Remaining seam sealant/stone chip looks fine but you can already see the rust underneath

[Image: IMG_20170402_152320_zpsdjuzu1ts.jpg]

A bit more wire brush and this….

[Image: IMG_20170402_152400_zpshp7pynxb.jpg]

Worrying in that there don't appear to be any bits where the water could have got in. All the more reason to bare metal. A smaller wire brush in the drill gets it to this.

[Image: IMG_20170402_154305_zpskaneukrq.jpg]

I'm very tempted to have the place i will take it to to be blasted/2k primed drill the spot welds and remove the brackets, clean up underneath and then reweld them in place. This OCD is getting out of control.

Moving on a bit, still in the same arch, i came across this not far away. Spotted this in an instant (I'm such a geek…)

[Image: IMG_20170402_153730_zpslacrbehg_edit_149...jn768d.jpg]

Didn't get an after pic but looks like a stone chip (hole in the middle) has let water in and it's got underneath. Didn't get an after pic but there was surface rust the size of the blow on the sealant.

Got bored with the arch and lying in the floor so parked my ample arse on the front cross member and started on the engine bay. Ended up looking like this..

[Image: IMG_20170402_154624_zpsjsxdpr60.jpg]

But not before I'd found this on the passenger side bulkhead

[Image: IMG_20170402_154632_zpsail7ivqg.jpg]

Or this under and to the right hand side of the servo..

[Image: IMG_20170402_174048_zpssnpgsady.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20170402_174114_zpst1xiba7e.jpg]

In for a penny, out came the screwdriver. Bugger.

[Image: IMG_20170402_174514_zpsohbqzdza.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20170402_174740_1_zpsyk9znipw.jpg]

Clearly water ingress although you can see from the angles of things here that water will collect and just sit. Poor design Pug, poor design. Then got busy cleaning up the floor sections i couldn't do before when the subframe was on. No real issues here, just more of that black crap

[Image: IMG_20170402_172150_zpsdzmo5olb.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20170402_172248_zpsxtu1scsa.jpg]

Need to find a way to pop these back out…..eejits with trolley jacks..

[Image: IMG_20170402_172303_zpspzgh6qpu.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20170402_172248_zpsxtu1scsa.jpg]

Got to 6pm and i called it quits. Ears ringing as i forgot how loud the wire brushing could be, must buy some ear plugs. Still, I'd had most of what was a very nice day, outside, doing what i love!
Thanks given by:
Love the OCD levels with this! Keep up the good work ben Smile
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Ah we all lose the love a bit. I put mine in the garage in autumn and never moved it.

To be fair there are some other very pressing issues, but nice to have it back out the garage. I need to mosey on up to Lutterworth at some point.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Come up whenever you want bud. If the buggy is road legal when you do, I'll take you for a spin in that.
Thanks given by:
Ok,

Found this on the bulkhead.

[Image: IMG_20170402_154632_zpsail7ivqg.jpg]

Bit annoyed but seems its a common place for a Rallye to go.....

Bigger question is whats the cost to repair? To do it properly, the dash needs to come out according to Carl Chambers. I suppose i should ask him....anyone had it done?
Thanks given by:
yep my rallye had that issue and carl fixed it. He did it with the dash in but the sound deadening has to be cut out so it does catch fire when welded. Welding work from carl was cheaper than i thought it would be.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My other red rallye resto...... Ben_w 89 15,662 26-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  Red Rallye Resto Eddleston 11 4,202 31-10-2015, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Eddleston
  306 GTi6 China Resto 306gtiparts 6 3,243 21-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Last Post: 7057sam