Real world MPG

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real world MPG
With a mixed driving style and the odd bit of quick driving "quick for a 90hp diesel lol" what sort of mpg are u guys gettiing on a stock car? I got 48.5mpg on mine by using a tank and filling up keeping track of the millage.
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2015, 09:51 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: With a mixed driving style and the odd bit of quick driving "quick for a 90hp diesel lol" what sort of mpg are u guys gettiing on a stock car? I got 48.5mpg on mine by using a tank and filling up keeping track of the millage.

Around 60mpg if I am really careful all the time. 50-55mpg if I am not too careful. The high mpg is with a majority of motorway or A road miles.

Keeping to a max of 55mph saves a lot of fuel, but saying that I have got good return doing a constant 70 on the motorways.
Try keeping to a max speed of 50 or 55mph for a whole week. You'll be surprised.

Keep the weight down. Don't fill the tank up (£20 a go). Don't carry passengers. Empty the boot.

My old Citroen AX drivers manual shows a feather on the accelerator pedal. Boy racers please look away now. Be light as a feather on the pedal. Just use gentle pressure on the pedal and accelerate slowly, you will get to a fast pace eventually. No flooring it.

Anticipate. If you are braking you are wasting fuel.

As you come off roundabouts, be conscious of your foot on the pedal and lift if you can.

Saying all that, sometimes I'm in a rush and just thrash the bugger, but not too often.

Yeah, I'm the old fart you are usually stuck behind.

Steve
Thanks given by:
Last fill up I achieved an apauling 40mpg on my stage 2 hdi. I then changed my fuel filter and re inflated my tyres as they were all low and this fill up just gone I got 46mpg. Thats with mixed driving, mixed roads and ALOT of idle'ing stuck in traffic.
Thanks given by: JTaylor2005
50-55mpg average on all the HDis I owned regardless of maps or speed lol.
Thanks given by:
So im getting a nice middle of the road sort of MPG then haha Smile I would empty the boot but it has a huge sub and amp setup in there now haha.

I am not a thrashy sort of driver who rags the car all the time but I do sometimes like the odd bit of fun haha. I think I have done quite well. I will try drive it eco and see what sort of MPG I get on this next tank haha Smile
Thanks given by:
I get around 42 running around locally, up to 50 on a trip
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
i can get anywhere from 38-50 depending on my driving style

50 on long runs
45 on my comute to work
38 when i drive like i stole it

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Cullys is similar to us

40ish 'enjoying' the cotswolds roads
But Ive got 60 on a run.
Average 55.
(206 2.0Hdi stg1, decat and deEGR)
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I average 50-55mpg every time I fill up regardless how I drive.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(03-03-2015, 09:42 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: I average 50-55mpg every time I fill up regardless how I drive.

Lend me your car, I'll get mid 30's out of it Tongue
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Before the winter set-in, I was getting a regular 50mpg on a Stage 1+ but recently that's dropped to low 40s. There is something up with the car, but my driving style doesn't help (LOO in a cloud of soot is a first).
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
(03-03-2015, 09:45 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(03-03-2015, 09:42 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: I average 50-55mpg every time I fill up regardless how I drive.

Lend me your car, I'll get mid 30's out of it Tongue

Probably possible to be fair but its my daily and I drive it a lot on a roads which has a lot to do with it.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Used to get 48mpg on the commute to work, 15 minutes and the car was just hitting ~75*c when i got there lol. That was with a fairly heavy stage 1 and enthusiastic driving, but the car was all of the stripped. Longer journeys usually well over 60mpg, record was 71.something. Feathering the throttle can actually be less efficient if it means you're taking a lot longer to get to your target gear and speed.

A healthy, standard HDi should see 40-50mpg daily, more if mostly used on a-roads and the motorway.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Sub 40 on short journeys around town, 70+ on an eco run.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
35 - 39 city 45 on a run, I don't drive eco though, stage 3 hdi
Thanks given by:
Running the calculations on a dead regular long commute for nearly a year, mine's around 54mpg. This is on a route with long, straight a-roads and a few very steep cllimbs.
Thanks given by:
So driving like a total nun doing 2000-2500 rpm gear changes (mostly 2000) lots of coasting and stuff I get around 46mpg. Im not amazed tbf but is that normal for this engine would you say?
Thanks given by:
(22-03-2015, 11:57 AM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: So driving like a total nun doing 2000-2500 rpm gear changes (mostly 2000) lots of coasting and stuff I get around 46mpg. Im not amazed tbf but is that normal for this engine would you say?

No, I get 55 driving it pretty  hard most of the time (but including long motorways stints at 80mph) 
Thanks given by:
Yeah quite, i'd expect better than that, although a lot of it is knowing how to drive economically. Did you replace your maf, was that you...?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Hmmm. Well I am pretty good at driving eco. I can get about 54mpg out of my 1l ecoboost fiesta when others struggle to get 40 haha. I look ahead far etc.
I cleaned the maf using a maf cleaner spray about halfway through the fuel I used to calculate that mpg but tbf that seemed to improve the cars response and 1500-2500 seems to pull quite a bit better and smoother sice then.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, hope the maf cleaner sorts it out then.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I get between 35 and 50 depending on how i drive... honestly its usually nearer 35 tbh, as i rag the twat off it most places (still treat it with finesse giving it cooldown/warmup times etc)..

That said tho, i think my boost leak is so bad the turbo is now just blowing air in the general direction of hte manifold now..
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The real cause of injector rattle? JTaylor2005 136 32,728 27-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Paul_13