my windscreen washer motor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my windscreen washer motor
right il keep it short lol

my washers and wipers stopped working if I pulled stalk to me but wipers would work if I pushed stalk up through the speeds, there is no noise from the motor at all so I removed the motor itself and its full of water.

this might sound stupid but should the motor be full of water or not?
Thanks given by:
Don't fully understand but the motor shouldn't be full of water. It's a common thing though as the drain holes block up and then fill with water.

I would guess a new wiper motor is needed
Thanks given by:
cheers iv edited it now hope it makes sense now
Thanks given by:
the motor is not water cooled. it should not be full of water...
Thanks given by:
Water in the motor may dampen the effects of its efficiency.

Screening the electrics for faults would be a good start. Remaining fluid in your fault finding will keep the ideas flowing.

/illgetmycoat
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
oh I don't like the sound of that I was hoping it would a case of replacing the motor
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2015, 10:29 PM)jayspug86 Wrote: oh I don't like the sound of that I was hoping it would a case of replacing the motor

I'm a tyro on these cars still....but..........I would suspect the stalk as they seem to fail according to the forum.......wipers work ok in the fast slow and intermittent position...........but don't work when the stalk is pulled towards you, the wash wipe mode....the washers don't work either, so there is a common fault, may be power to the washer pump and the wiper motor...........( does the rear screen wash work? ) ...........the wiper motor seems to be ok ( it works ) but the washer motor is full of water....which is probably a fault....a blown fuse maybe????  don't ask me which fuse it will be cos I still don't know!!

a basic wiring diagram for the wash wiper function would help..... Blush
Thanks given by:
are the stalks coded or just simple swap?
Thanks given by:
Wiper stalks just swap over. If you need 1 i will do 1 for £7 posted. PM me if interested, also have a wiper motor as well if need
Thanks given by:
right I took old motor off and wiper stalked worked as it should but don't when I put new motor on??
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2015, 04:44 PM)jayspug86 Wrote: right I took old motor off and wiper stalked worked as it should but don't when I put new motor on??

you took the motor off.... and it worked...
but didnt when you put the new one on?

exactly what part was working if there wasnt a motor plugged in?
Thanks given by:
as above the wiper stalk works when you pull it towards you but stops working when you connect washer pump back up
Thanks given by:
Are we talking about the washer motor, or the wiper motor? I'm confused. Huh
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Relay I reckon
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
the stalk stops working when you reconnect the washer motor

how can I test relay
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2015, 06:50 PM)jayspug86 Wrote: the stalk stops working when you reconnect the washer motor

how can I test relay

what part of the stalk works? how can the stalk not work? It only moves?

what are you controlling with the stalk that works? the washer jets?
Thanks given by:
im got try and be clearer for everyone Wink

original problem was went to clean screen one day and when I pulled the stalk to me it done nothing, the wipers didn't move and the washer pump made no sound.

I removed the washer pump and it was full of water

while the washer pump was disconnected I tried the wipers again buy pulling the stalk to me and it worked.

so I replaced the washer pump with a new one then when to pull the stalk again with new washer pump connected and wipers did nothing again but will wipers will work if I disconnect the washer pump again.

so to summarise the wipers will work if washer pump in not connected and stop working when it is connected

Smile
Thanks given by:
thankyou.... and i dont know what would cause that.
Thanks given by:
losing patients now lol
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2015, 12:30 PM)jayspug86 Wrote: im got try and be clearer for everyone Wink

original problem was went to clean screen one day and when I pulled the stalk to me it done nothing, the wipers didn't move and the washer pump made no sound.

I removed the washer pump and it was full of water

while the washer pump was disconnected I tried the wipers again buy pulling the stalk to me and it worked.

so I replaced the washer pump with a new one then when to pull the stalk again with new washer pump connected and wipers did nothing again but will wipers will work if I disconnect the washer pump again.

so to summarise the wipers will work if washer pump in not connected and stop working when it is connected

Smile

Wow you proper went around the houses with the is post.

I'm having the same issue with mine. I've not tried replacing or disconnecting the washer motor yet.

Did you find out what the issue was?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like either the relay or a corroded wire not able to carry enough current hence it works with the reduced load when the washer is unplugged but not when it's present.

I'd also check the relevant fuses by substitution as sometimes they can break without being blown completely causing issues like this. My money would most likely be on a wiring issue though.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windscreen washer issue Iceman299 1 886 14-05-2016, 07:13 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  windscreen washer reservoir pug306driver 3 1,133 05-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  windscreen washers londondan86 2 1,238 29-04-2014, 10:35 PM
Last Post: londondan86