alternator

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
alternator
think my alternator is on its way out, car lights dim and the revs drop, it actually stalled today. too
Thanks given by:
To start with, what engine do you have? I highly doubt its your alternator. The battery light would come on if it was charging less than 11v iirc and stalling has nothing to do with it unless the better went flat (but then it wouldn't start again after)
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2015, 10:03 AM)Niall Wrote: To start with, what engine do you have? I highly doubt its your alternator. The battery light would come on if it was charging less than 11v iirc and stalling has nothing to do with it unless the better went flat (but then it wouldn't start again after)

Its a 1.6, my induction kit arrived today, so will be changing air filter soon, the noise seemed to be coming from there but my dad recons its the alt
Thanks given by:
Ah you didnt tell us there was noises. Like what?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
A multi meter across the battery will tell a thousand words in this situation...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2015, 07:40 PM)Tom Wrote: A multi meter across the battery will tell a thousand words in this situation...

But only if you know how to interpret them readings. Dont forget, a perfectly healthy alternator on a 306 will not kick out 14.4v in all situations!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(02-03-2015, 07:50 PM)Niall Wrote:
(02-03-2015, 07:40 PM)Tom Wrote: A multi meter across the battery will tell a thousand words in this situation...

But only if you know how to interpret them readings. Dont forget, a perfectly healthy alternator on a 306 will not kick out 14.4v in all situations!

Scrap that the noise is the clutch bearings that are going. Think the lack of power was me leaving wipers on rain sensor mode for a week!
Thanks given by:
Ah ok. Noises can travel around engine bays and REALLY confuse you sometimes so if you're not quite sure of where a noise is coming from in future, you can get a long screwdriver (or similar object) and place your ear on the handle and the tip of the driver on where you think the noise is coming from. It acts as a stethoscope and will point out instantly where that noise is coming from!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(07-03-2015, 05:37 PM)Niall Wrote: Ah ok. Noises can travel around engine bays and REALLY confuse you sometimes so if you're not quite sure of where a noise is coming from in future, you can get a long screwdriver (or similar object) and place your ear on the handle and the tip of the driver on where you think the noise is coming from. It acts as a stethoscope and will point out instantly where that noise is coming from!

I'll remember that one
Thanks given by:
Leaving the wipers on rain-sensing shouldn't drain your battery, there's another issue there somewhere, i'd suggest starting with your earths.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: