My new 206 GTI 180

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new 206 GTI 180
Nice to see somthing different chris

Best of luck with it,shure it will getting spanked round combe soon enough Big Grin
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
My thoughts exactly Sam. Just fancied a change.

Indeed it will be going round Combe. 15 minutes at Spring Action as a test, and 2 hours at FCS.

To be honest this thread will be dead boring for a while. Won't be doing any modding until it is on the road. 2 Weeks max I'm hoping.
Thanks given by:
These are great little cars i have had 2 of these. They could do with a light weight set of 16" wheels, but I had no bother with mine. You will enjoy it.
1998 Peugeot 306 LX HDI Estate
1988 Peugeot 309 GTI

My 306 progress thread: 306 Estate HDi Tidy Up

Old Skool Vs New Skool, you decide
Thanks given by:
Good to hear Smile

I'm after a set of wheels now, but they'll likely end up being cyclones which are of course 15"
Thanks given by:
Works in your favour, smaller wheels for lighter better acceleration and cheaper tyres
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
That's what I thought Steve.

Aftermarket wheels are pretty expensive, so for now, I'll keep it simple and stick with stock Pug stuff.
Thanks given by:
Has the tax been sorted yet chris???

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Tax is now sorted, the car is on the road! Surprisingly lovable car, despite its faults. 

The induction roar is very noticeable, I bet with an aftermarket filter it will make a proper good noise!

EDIT: Here we go! Listen to that!

Thanks given by:
I noticed that, even standard it's got a lot of noise to it! Via exhaust and induction!
Thanks given by:
Just as well, because both induction kits and exhausts cost a fortune for these! Looking at £100 for a filter and £300 for an exhaust. And no second hand ones to be found.

For 306's you can pick all the bits up cheap as hell.
Thanks given by:
One thing I can't work out with these why there are so many with really low mileage.

Yours is low, mines 59k, there are lots on ebay low too. Try finding a GTI6 with that low mileage would be impossible and come with a huge price tag!
Thanks given by:
They never got the "drivers car" tag attached to them I guess. That and they are generally more modern. Also, most people who wanted a 206 wouldn't be doing serious mileage, even in a 180.
Thanks given by:
Why do you want an exhaust? Its a scorpion stainless as std!

Thanks given by:
It not. Just the tips are stainless. The standard box isn't anything special at all. Apart from it's shape which is most definitely 'special'.
Thanks given by:
Quick update here guys, nothing too exciting.

With Castle Combe 'Spring Action Day' coming up fast, I made a last minute buy on some Team Dynamics Pro Race 2's and some new Federal 595 RS-R's.

Stuck them on today, and whilst it looks a bit silly as it hasn't been lowered yet, I can confirm that the tyres and wheels combo really helps. Great fun!

[Image: 206%20wheeels.jpg]
[Image: 206%20wheels.jpg]
[Image: 206%20wheeeels.jpg]
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
Needs lows yos

Thanks given by:
It needs you, my mate Lucy will give me a hand but hes not free for a while!
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
Does look quite track slaggish now lol

Look forward to having some fun on track with it Smile
Thanks given by:
New lows on the clown car Wink

[attachment=23381]

[attachment=23382]

[attachment=23383]o

Thanks given by:
Wicked Sick! Big Grin

Although it seems I was bit late receiving the memo about the French theme.
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
Looks like a good project Smile
What are these like compared to the 306s/clio 172s Smile looking at a 206 GTI 180 or Clio 172 next
Seats in the 180 look great though! And supposed to be a reliable engine Smile 
Thanks given by:
I prefer a 306, but that's more to do with personal sentiment rather than anything factual.

Firstly, look past the bullshit that a lot of reviewers say. The 206 180 is a GOOD car. Simply put I think the reviewers didn't want to like this car. They were pissed off that it didn't have a 6 speed gearbox and also couldn't forget the slightly lackluster performance of the original 138. Clarkson reviewed this car, and liked it. As did Hammond. Their view seems to be the correct one!

I'm really happy with my 206. The handling is great (even more so with a smaller and lighter set of wheels) and it pulls well. Oddly it doesn't feel as powerful lower in the Rev's as a Gti 6 despite supposedly making more torque and horsepower... although I think the claimed '180' figure is known to be a bit optimistic.

In terms of performance it's on par with the 306 and the Clio. Strong topend with a great sound track. On track mine caught Clios, including a good friends who then couldn't lose me, and I'm certainly no Lewis Hamilton.

All said, I don't think it's quite as good as the Clio or 306 as it's let down by a few faults such as a poor throw on the gearbox, poor control layout and ergonomics and various minor electrical gremlins. It makes up for this in part though as they are incredibly cheap over a decent 306, even for a mint condition one, and much more numerous. Also they are far easier/cheaper to work on than a Clio.

For the price of them I'd have one over a 306 or Clio. Try one yourself and see what you think.
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
Wow that weird definitely be nice and easy to spot it on track Smile

What tyres are you using now then ?
Thanks given by:
(25-05-2015, 12:51 PM)7057sam Wrote: Wow that weird definitely be nice and easy to spot it on track Smile

What tyres are you using now then ?

It's changed again! Looks like this now. It was looking a bit chavtastitic.

[Image: 20150526_160426.jpg]
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
Them wheels defo need to be a slightly lighter colour!

Thanks given by:
I know, I'm open to suggestions?
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
That pic i sent you the other day

Thanks given by:
That just looks epic Smile
Thanks given by:
Looks really good mate Smile  
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys Smile

So far it's been a bit of a budget build, after FCS I'll be putting some more money into it to get it looking sweet. I'll also be fitting some roof racks and a tow bar, and using it as a daily/utility/track car.

A big thanks especially to Jamie, as it's him who's sorted both my 206, and my 306. Cheers dude Smile
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by: