Seized spark plugs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seized spark plugs
So I'm going to hazard an educated guess that the spark plugs in the MK2 will be a pain to get out. Any advice on what to pour into the spark plug wells to ease their removal also whether to do when engine is hot/cold/warm etc

Have seen people say yes to hot as it helps free them, no to hot as itll strip threads.
WD40, don't use WD40, a tablespoon of engine oil, compressed air etc etc
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Small amount of diesel will run down the threads rather than wd40 which will evaporate quickly. Also yes do it when hot.

Are they known for seizing though? I've never cone across a seized spark plug yet...the above works well on seized glowplugs though should be the same!
Thanks given by:
So will engine oil do the same as the diesel? If I ran the engine so it all got warm to thin the oil out

Not overly sure but it's been sat unused for 18 months and from the looks of it I don't think this engine has had a lot of love so good chance they've been in there for longer than that so don't want to take any chances
A lot of other people complaining about spark plugs and ali heads reacting and seizing

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Cement. I have heard if you put cement in the spark plug wells and then put a screwdriver in there then it will all set and you can turn it out.

Diesel may also work...
Thanks given by:
Any decent penetrating oil, like plusgas. Keep applying it for as long as you can before the job, and yeah, engine hot won't strip threads unless there's already a problem.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
nothing will help but a bit of engine heat.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Lotions and potions will do a grand total of FA if they're stuck..

If they're done up anything more than finger tight, then do you really think a liquid is going to penetrate down the threads?! Course not - remember they form a gas tight seal against the combustion pressure, pouring anything on them is not going to do anything, it'll just sit at the top of the threads!

Exactly as welshpug says, get some heat into it, that's about the only thing you can do to help.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2015, 01:05 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Cement. I have heard if you put cement in the spark plug wells and then put a screwdriver in there then it will all set and you can turn it out.

That just made me laugh hard
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2015, 03:12 PM)Paul_13 Wrote:
(25-02-2015, 01:05 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Cement. I have heard if you put cement in the spark plug wells and then put a screwdriver in there then it will all set and you can turn it out.

That just made me laugh hard

are you suggesting that my method is laughable?  Nospeak
Thanks given by:
Liquids must seep through though eventually as bluey used to leak oil from the cam cover down the spark plug chamber and it never filled up that much just a little around the base.
Will try it hot though just worried as would like to have to avoid recutting the threads or whatever. So good to know doing it while hot isn't a death sentence as some people have said

Thanks given by:
(25-02-2015, 09:13 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Liquids must seep through though eventually as bluey used to leak oil from the cam cover down the spark plug chamber and it never filled up that much just a little around the base.
Will try it hot though just worried as would like to have to avoid recutting the threads or whatever. So good to know doing it while hot isn't a death sentence as some people have said

if bluey let oil into the chambers via the spark plugs...that maybe why she was down on power!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Sorry Steve, but that's not possible.. if oil's able to get past the spark plugs they'd blow out every time you cranked it over!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Well the oil was going somewhere :/ it stopped leaking after the HGF rebuild where it all got sealed up but before then there was bathroom sealant in the chambers to stop it pouring down.

Thanks given by:
(25-02-2015, 01:02 PM)lolsteve Wrote: So will engine oil do the same as the diesel? If I ran the engine so it all got warm to thin the oil out

Not overly sure but it's been sat unused for 18 months and from the looks of it I don't think this engine has had a lot of love so good chance they've been in there for longer than that so don't want to take any chances
A lot of other people complaining about spark plugs and ali heads reacting and seizing

steve I think your worrying over nothing, just let it warm up and then remove them as you would normally. Don't use the stuff off blueys engine. Just Buy the upgraded stuff like I have done, I did pm you the site I use for mine. Also give it a f*ck off service too! coolant the lot.

(25-02-2015, 09:35 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Well the oil was going somewhere :/ it stopped leaking after the HGF rebuild where it all got sealed up but before then there was bathroom sealant in the chambers to stop it pouring down.

More evidence of a botched up job, no the wonder that car wasn't working well! 
Thanks given by:
If they were installed properly by the last person the copper washer shouldn't have let any moisture in and should be fine. If you install spark plugs as per the instructions and do not over tighten them, merely tighten them until the washer is crushed then they should also come out.

The problem is previous owners have sometimes done them up to FT spec. Sad
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
not forgetting bog standard dissimilar metal corrosion.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
True. Hopefully if they've been out in the last couple of years they shouldn't have gone too crusty but then them having been changed by a previous owner is never a guarantee sadly.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Considering the fuel filter was original Im not holding much hope. will see if I can crack them off maybe a 1/4 turn then try the penetrating fluid/oil method and leave to soak for a bit as luckily not so desperate for the car as a daily

Thanks given by:
Every spark plug I've ever removed wound out fine after initially cracking it off.

I think you'll find that's the hard part! If not, good idea though.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Just as an update:
Went to crack the spark plugs off and fill them with wd40 tonight after driving it back from work.
As I was preparing myself for a real fight I found the first plug to come undone with nothing more than a gentle breeze, okay I thought don't fully remove it just yet just a quarter of a turn and leave it overnight
Next one was the same, as was the 3rd and 4th.
Turned out to be the easiest set of spark plugs ive changed lol Was needless worrying.
Next set was put in with some copper grease on the threads and done up by hand (with a final quarter turn on the ratchet) to prevent cross threading.
Well chuffed

Thanks given by:
(10-03-2015, 07:29 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Just as an update:
Went to crack the spark plugs off and fill them with wd40 tonight after driving it back from work.
As I was preparing myself for a real fight I found the first plug to come undone with nothing more than a gentle breeze, okay I thought don't fully remove it just yet just a quarter of a turn and leave it overnight
Turned out to be the easiest set of spark plugs ive changed lol Was needless worrying.
Next set was put in with some copper grease on the threads and done up by hand (with a final quarter turn on the ratchet) to prevent cross threading.
Well chuffed

The set in my mk2 golf came out dead easy and they were in there for roughly 20 years lol one of those thing that you wonder what you were shitting yourself over lol
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2015, 07:29 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Just as an update:
Well chuffed
Glad it all worked out in the end Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reading spark plugs lolsteve 25 4,278 23-03-2015, 08:55 PM
Last Post: welshpug