Boot light draining battery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boot light draining battery
Hi!

My hdi car didn't started this morning. It was cranking good in the beginnig, but had no power after couple second, I guess battery has gone flat. I had this a while ago, but then I blamed cold weather (-20) which probably gelled summer diesel. After fuel filter change and towing start it started and was good to start even in -15, with winter diesel.
So this morning after night, (around 0 degrees) it was not able to start, tried different methods, but since I had to go to university, I went with public transportation. My idea of battery drainage is boot light, which won't turn off when boot is closed (can see through safety belt hole on rear seats). Can it be so much, that car wont be able to start? battery is old as well, but will check voltage later this evening. what kind of voltage should I get from healthy battery?

can I somehow disconnect swith or bulb to prevent battery drainage?
Thanks given by:
Boot light will just unplug if you pop it out with a screwdriver, in my experience hdi's need a good jolt to start them, if battery is low they struggle like fook.
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Probably my short drives (under 30 minutes) 3-4 times a day won't help in this situation.
This metod of unplugging will be good for sedan or I should fix switch instead?
If I charge battery with good charger, can I avoid buying a new battery, or should I be better getting a new one?
Since my budget is very limited, I would love to fix than buy new instead.
Thanks given by:
Try the light and see, where you from? We don't get HDI sedans over here.
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I will try to take off light probably tomorrow or even friday. I am from Latvia, it is 1999 reg.
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2015, 11:57 AM)Dreijers Wrote: I will try to take off light probably tomorrow or even friday. I am from Latvia, it is 1999 reg.

Try putting the battery on a trickle charger overnight to help it then try. You find batteries dont like to be charged and drained constantly and tends to kill them. HDI do need a good battery to get them going and are a nightmare to bump start when completely dead.

As for the boot light, you find there will be a tilt switch in the boot itself behing the plastic cover the witch can corrode or may need bent to correct its position. For now I'd start by disconnecting it and try the battery... Good Luck Smile
Thanks given by:
Small update.
On terminals it shows 12.25V and when cranking, dropped to about 4V (as my brother told me) .
have disconnected light, and will try to bumpstart in 2h time, maybe will work, previously it have worked!
and I will have acess to charger only if I can get home, because during work week i live in city and I back home I can get charged up!
Thanks given by:
Bumpstarted really easy, now when working battery shows around 14,2V. Haven't yet tried turning car off, but definitely will check voltage then!
now it shows when parked for 1h 12,75V. Hope will be able to get home saturday to charge up!
Thanks given by:
This morning battery showed 12.7V and started like usual. For now it is all good!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battery warning light/fuse keeps blowing.HELP Clump1298 8 1,763 03-09-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: ekjdm14
  Flashing battery light. NEW PROBLEMS Matt 25 5,552 11-09-2016, 06:57 AM
Last Post: C2K
  Moving battery to boot. Matt 9 2,177 28-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Matt