Shorted Stereo System?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shorted Stereo System?
Hi folks. New user here, please be gentle with me!

Was needing a wee runaround for getting to work and back and snapped up a bargain 306 with 37,000 for only £420 yesterday. Great wee machine, loving it so far.

I tried to change the stereo from my old 206 SW (failed its MOT, hence the need for something new) and so I wired it up. Connected the blocks and the aerial, switched the ignition on, and hey presto, everything working.

Went to slot it into the console and as soon as the stereo touched the cage it conked out. No sound, no display, nada.

Curiously, the unit is still receiving power - if I press the Eject CD button it will whirr, and it will actually take a CD in it (and eject it) no problems. It's just giving me no sound or display.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Thanks given by:
Tried it again in the 206 to see if it works in there? 

Also, 37k mileage??? Wow
Thanks given by: Gazcobain
(08-02-2015, 09:27 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: Tried it again in the 206 to see if it works in there? 

Also, 37k mileage??? Wow
That's a genius idea! Why didn't I think of it?

Yeah it's a bit of a bargain. The guy couldn't shift it as it's got a reasonably large dent in the passenger door - doesn't affect it in any way. If I can snap up a replacement from a scrappies then I'll fit one, otherwise it doesn't really bother me.

Got the last few MOT certificates and the old boy wasn't doing more than about 2k - 3k miles per year.
Thanks given by:
I reckon you have pinched a cable putting the stereo in
The cage sits on a plastic dash so placing the stereo into a metal cage cant do any damage because it cant short to earth...and even if it did, you then have to question why is the casing live.
You may also have a shorted connection on a speaker. I know my Kenwood HU needs disconnecting from the battery for a minute or so if it enters its protection mode if it sees a shorted speaker cable.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
I've just tried it back in the 206, works absolutely fine.

I know absolutely nothing about car electronics. What are my next options? Any suggestions as to why it'll still receive power in the 306, but not the display or sound?

Thanks all!
Thanks given by:
In the stereo loom there is a red and yellow cable which should have some bullet connectors in line. Check these are secure.
Also i'm not sure but the car may have separate fuses for the switched and perm live supply. It could be you've blown one and so the stereo doesn't realise the ignition is being switched on hence why you can remove CDs and thats it. Most stereos allow you to do this with the car off.
Team Eaton

Thanks for this. So, would I look in the fuse box underneath the steering wheel?

My red and yellow wires both appear to be fine. In the 206 I had to swap them around so that the car would remember the time and saved stations. But in the 306 I've tried them both switched and 'normal' and it's not working either way.
Thanks given by:
Yeah but i cant tell you what fuse unfortunately? Tbh whenever i suspect a fuse issue, i just go through the whole fusebox with a multimeter checking the fuses. Only takes 30 seconds or so.
Team Eaton

Thanks. I will try that tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
thought the 206 radios used a remote display on the top of the dash?
the 306 radios dont use a remote display

id go for checking the fuse's

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
The saga continues!

Checked the fuses this morning in the work's car park. Took a picture of my fuse box last night and compared it to diagrams found online. My fuse box looks like this:

[Image: fuses-1.jpg]

So, going by that diagram, the fuse for my radio is a 10A fuse located in position 24.

From looking at my fuse box... there was no fuse located in position 24. At all. Nada.

But, I tried putting a 10A fuse in, but it's still not working. Not sure what to try next!
Thanks given by:
Still plugging away at this.

I noticed last night when driving home that I have no illumination behind the fan / heater controls (the three dials). I've never driven a car without these before - should I have lights behind these? Could this be something to do with it?

Also, while checking the fuses and replacing them I noticed that my ABS warning light and Brake warning light had come on - when checking the fuses again, removing a blown fuse in position 25 has made the lights go off. Thing is, position 25 is supposed to be a spare fuse!

Very strange!
Thanks given by:
Fixed!

I finally got the time to take out and inspect every single fuse in the car. Turns out I had a blown 10A in position 25. Replaced that and it worked! Strange that 25 is listed as a spare fuse. Never mind - sorted now!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Connecting car stereo controls with aftermarket stereo andrej.pilipovic 4 2,092 07-10-2018, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset