heater either cold or very hot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
heater either cold or very hot
My heater blower sends out cold air on the coldest setting, and very hot air on every other setting. This means in most weather conditions I have to keep switching the heater between cold and very hot every few minutes, as otherwise I either freeze or sweat.

Can somebody help please?

I am a newbie mechanic, but I do have a haynes manual, and I just recently changed the engine on this car (although it had the same problem with the old engine too).

In case it makes a difference, this is a 1999 1.4 TU engine 306.
Thanks given by:
Does it have air con or not?
Thanks given by:
wow thats strange. Never heard of that before...
Thanks given by:
Just a random guess but try a new set of heater switches perhaps?
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Isn't it a servo that controls the temp mixer on the Phase 3 car, so it's like said above try a heater controls?
Thanks given by:
If it's an AC car it's worth checking the temperature probe near the map reading light - I would imagine if that's constantly reading freezing cold then the system will constantly be trying to heat on anything but cold on the dial.

Certainly my last 306 had an intermittent issue with that sensor and every so often the heater would turn roasting hot for a couple of minutes before settling back down - only way to stop it was either to wait for it to settle by itself or was to put the dial to cold. Replaced the sensor and it was fine again after that.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heater blower not working-Cold...So cold... Pug0BZ3011 17 4,722 16-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Last Post: aaron6
  no cold air from heater or ac callumh122 3 1,078 20-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Matt