GTi6 Knock

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GTi6 Knock
So...does anyone know what this knock is? Definitely drivers side, cant work out if front or rear!

Had the crowbar out yesterday and cant move anything on that side though, so maybe someone will know from hearing it?

Only happens once on moving off every time, and occasionally on braking but it has to be quite heavy braking.

Possibilities - Engine mount cradle (hope not! Sad ), driveshaft (has a ripped boot from the splash guard falling off but hadn't been driven on before the knock started), rear beam mount? Anything else? Might have to see if Bash will stick it up on the ramp at some point to see what it is. Itwasntme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVMrqVLV...e=youtu.be

Also worth noting theres an odd sticky clicking squelching sort of noise related to road speed not engine speed, only happens after a minute or two of a constant speed and goes when braking, this is new today so hasn't been at all investigated yet. Could be the CV joint though maybe? But doesn't change on corners.
Thanks given by:
I'd investigate the engine mount, check all the mounting bolts on the subframe, wishbone etc.. Best bet IMO is to get it on a ramp; get a garage to do the CV and ask them to try and identify the knock whilst they're doing it.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Sounds driveshafty to me.
Thanks given by:
So this got significantly worse today. Confused

Coming back from Nans in town traffic its juddering when trying to move off, with a series of knocks following that. Feels like trying to pull away with a wheel clamp but is fine after the initial pull. Theres also a lot of vibration at 70+ through steering wheel.

I don't think its clutch judder as its only when pulling away in 1st or 2nd, doesn't happen higher up. Gotta be driveshaft hasn't it?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the driveshaft alright
Thanks given by:
top mount i recon Smile

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Suspension top mount or engine top mount? It feels as if the wheel is held back a bit though?

Don't want to drive until this is sorted now...but not knowing what the problem is is annoying. Confused
Thanks given by:
Check your bellhousing bolts
Thanks given by:
Are they likely to just undo? Confused The clutch is original so it wont have been off afaik.
Thanks given by:
i'd be interested in this too, i have a similar knock that only occurs on liftoff
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure it's the driveshaft, it's now a constant knock/grind/graunch lol. Will wait till it's changed to see if the moving off knock is still present. If it is I'll wedge some rubber/silicone in the lower engine mount 'gaps' to see if that cures the noise. The mount is soft but it's in better condition than most I've seen!
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2015, 11:56 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Pretty sure it's the driveshaft, it's now a constant knock/grind/graunch lol.  Will wait till it's changed to see if the moving off knock is still present.  If it is I'll wedge some rubber/silicone in the lower engine mount 'gaps' to see if that cures the noise.  The mount is soft but it's in better condition than most I've seen!

Sorry but what was the problem?
thanks!
Thanks given by:
(20-04-2018, 07:20 AM)mangler Wrote:
(09-02-2015, 11:56 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Pretty sure it's the driveshaft, it's now a constant knock/grind/graunch lol.  Will wait till it's changed to see if the moving off knock is still present.  If it is I'll wedge some rubber/silicone in the lower engine mount 'gaps' to see if that cures the noise.  The mount is soft but it's in better condition than most I've seen!

Sorry but what was the problem?
thanks!

It was the driveshaft. Well, just the CV joint really but easier and cleaner to change the whole thing for what they cost.
Thanks given by: mangler

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rattly knock!! insomaniac45 4 1,151 22-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Dale
  Knock Knock..... nick000 12 3,554 01-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Last Post: nick000
  Knock knock SupaStar88 6 1,655 13-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Last Post: SupaStar88