My Nile 6' Project/Progress (New zorst vid pg.9)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Nile 6' Project/Progress (New zorst vid pg.9)
Great to hear your getting this back Danny! Has it changed much since you last had it?
Thanks given by:
Cheers mate. Few bits and bobs have changed, rub strips are a sort of purple colour (can see in pic above), the trim piece with the radio ac etc.. was colour coded to match. Clones were painted black but it's currently on a set of pro race 1.2's although I'll be having it back with the cyclones on. Cat is fitted again but decat is in the boot so may end up getting re-fitted depending on how i feel. Stock springs and shocks were swapped out for a set of tatechnix coilies, but they'll be getting replaced as soon as i find a decent shock/spring setup

Other than that though, it's pretty much as I sold it. Think it's done less than 30 miles since I sold it so mileage hasn't increased at all which is a bonus. Cambelt does still need doing though so that's pretty much no.1 on the list of things to do, still undecided as to if i'll do it myself or take it somewhere to be done
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ok so got this back Thursdays evening, started looking over it Friday which mainly consisted of putting stuff back together and just working out exactly what needs doing.

1st thing on the list is cambelt, it's only done about 15k since it was changed but it's been 7 years now so definitely due. It's on a set of tatechnix coilovers on the front at the moment and it's far too low, as in.. can't actually get it off my drive way lol so getting a set of stock struts just to get it through an MOT.

Future plans are either a set of decent shocks and springs (Bilstein b6/b8?) with some adjustable top mounts for some negative camber or a set of BC racing V1 coilovers (built in adjustable top mounts).The BC racing are very similar to the HSD's I have on the BM and a lot of the BM guys run them. They're an inverted mono damper which is adjustable, preload is able to be set and lowering doesn't change this or the travel as it's done by adjusting the length of the shock by winding it, instead of compressing the springs. Price wise both setups work out at a similar cost so I'm still undecided.

Spent today giving it a good wash and went over any surface rust I found, cleaned it up and gave it a coat of kurust to stop it going any further. All in all it appears pretty solid and largely rust free. 

[Image: 20170311_142328_HDR.jpg]

Needs a hoover, but still pretty mint. 

[Image: 20170310_153612_HDR.jpg]

If the odo hasn't been reset then yes, it's done 6 miles since I sold it.. 

[Image: 20170311_161109_HDR.jpg]

And one of both together

[Image: 20170311_142312_HDR.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Good to see it out in the daylight again tbh, but damn is that some tasty looking rust on the BMW's arch. lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It looks worse in person tbh haha, its on the list
Thanks given by:
Good going mate! lifes going to be expensive from here on in with both of those lol
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Yes, quite.. lol

The 1.2's are staying now as I'll be needing a 2nd set of wheels and they're already on the car so.. Annoyingly though the semi slicks on it are basically at the end of their life and aren't cheap to replace so will probably get some decent road tyres for now, bonus that they have a centre so should be cheaper to get them balanced and what not
Thanks given by:
Was it this one that all the laquer had cracked around the petrol filler cap?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Yeah pretty much, although after a good t-cut it's only visible in direct sun light. Think that bit must've been resprayed at some point, would attempt wet sanding it back but think the lacquer is probably too thin.
Thanks given by:
Ah I thought it was, must've had something done to it in the past as I've never seen such localised paint damage
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Yeah more than likely, doubt anything will be done about it though unless it gets considerably worse.

On another note I picked up a standard set of springs/shocks from Cully on saturday so hopefully get those fitted on the weekend, stuck a jerry can of 99 ron in too as god knows how old the fuel in there is atm..
Thanks given by:
(20-03-2017, 01:27 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Yeah more than likely, doubt anything will be done about it though unless it gets considerably worse.

On another note I picked up a standard set of springs/shocks from Cully on saturday so hopefully get those fitted on the weekend, stuck a jerry can of 99 ron in too as god knows how old the fuel in there is atm..

As long as it doesn't smell like vinegar when you open the filler cap it'll be alright lol. From what I've seen petrol starts to turn to brown sludge after about 14 years
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Just read the whole thread and it's great you managed to buy it back! How come the previous owner didn't use end up driving it? Also what did you use to wash and wax it? Did you use kurust on the underside and did you seal it with something afterwards? I'm just about to do my inner arches with hydrate80 which is a similar product I think.
190k Moonstone 3dr HDI sold
..on the lookout for a 6/rallye

Thanks given by:
yaaaass good to see it back and that it hasnt really changed much!
Thanks given by:
(21-03-2017, 07:31 AM)ozonehostile Wrote:
(20-03-2017, 01:27 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Yeah more than likely, doubt anything will be done about it though unless it gets considerably worse.

As long as it doesn't smell like vinegar when you open the filler cap it'll be alright lol. From what I've seen petrol starts to turn to brown sludge after about 14 years

Ha ha, certainly not 14 years old but probably 2-3 i'd have thought. Still started so couldn't be that bad. 
(21-03-2017, 07:35 AM)partybish Wrote: Just read the whole thread and it's great you managed to buy it back! How come the previous owner didn't use end up driving it?  Also what did you use to wash and wax it? Did you use kurust on the underside and did you seal it with something afterwards? I'm just about to do my inner arches with hydrate80 which is a similar product I think.
Thanks mate. Never ended up being driven as he didn't pass his test, idea was he'd pass it then use the car, but ended up having a kid, moving house etc.. so time ran away. Used meguiars gold class to wash it (great stuff imo) and then think it's called mer(??) wax, it's supposed to last 6 months if you do it properly. 

Jacking points were a little crusty from over the years, so wire brushed off the crap then did a couple of kurust treatments, waited for it to dry and then have just put over a couple coats of grey primer for now, just to keep the water out, will give it some underseal when it's a bit warmer. Rest of the chassis is pretty much rust free (afaik) only other bit that needed some love was the front crossmember, but that's derusted and treated too.

(21-03-2017, 08:51 AM)Eeyore Wrote: yaaaass good to see it back and that it hasnt really changed much!

Cheers dude, yeah good to see it back just really looking forward to driving it now.
Thanks given by:
Decided whilst the weather is nice to get the shocks swapped over, little bit taller than before now lol but expecting it to settle a bit over the next few days.

removing the tatechnix
[Image: 20170325_120534.jpg]

Then got the angle grinder out for a stubborn drop link.. although, appears they were original so quite impressed they lasted this long
[Image: 20170325_120523.jpg]

And one of the two 306's, including a clean HDi (?!?!) and the 6 at it's new height..

[Image: 20170325_152207_HDR.jpg]

Done a couple of other little bits, like bolted the exhaust heatshield back on. Think it needs a new set of rear wishbone bushes so will probably go powerflex or similar.
Thanks given by:
Much better, cheap coilovers are a sin on a gti6 lol. Arches are looking a bit rough, have you had a poke around underneath to see how it's faired in its time off the road in a coastal area
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Bet the car will be so much nicer to drive now in general, hows the HDI going? Youve had that a fair while now
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2017, 08:26 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: Much better, cheap coilovers are a sin on a gti6 lol. Arches are looking a bit rough, have you had a poke around underneath to see how it's faired in its time off the road in a coastal area
Arches are fine tbf, just a mixture of mud/bad pic, one wing has a tiny bit where the front bumper rubbed against it but thats it. Generally rust free, any bits of surface I've noticed have been brushed back, kurust then a bit of paint to keep water away til i underseal it. 

(26-03-2017, 11:07 AM)MY95 Wrote: Bet the car will be so much nicer to drive now in general, hows the HDI going? Youve had that a fair  while now

Oh yes, should actually be able to get off the drive now lol. HDi's going well tbf had a new MAF so power is back to where it used to be, needed a couple small bits for it's last MOT but thats it really. Nearly done 80k in it since originally buying it now.. feels like forever ago
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2017, 12:03 PM)Midnightclub Wrote:
(26-03-2017, 08:26 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: Much better, cheap coilovers are a sin on a gti6 lol. Arches are looking a bit rough, have you had a poke around underneath to see how it's faired in its time off the road in a coastal area
Arches are fine tbf, just a mixture of mud/bad pic, one wing has a tiny bit where the front bumper rubbed against it but thats it. Generally rust free, any bits of surface I've noticed have been brushed back, kurust then a bit of paint to keep water away til i underseal it. 

(26-03-2017, 11:07 AM)MY95 Wrote: Bet the car will be so much nicer to drive now in general, hows the HDI going? Youve had that a fair  while now

Oh yes, should actually be able to get off the drive now lol. HDi's going well tbf had a new MAF so power is back to where it used to be, needed a couple small bits for it's last MOT but thats it really. Nearly done 80k in it since originally buying it now.. feels like forever ago

Nice one, should post a big update on the project thread, will always take a big interest in what you do with it being the same colour/doors as mine Smile
Thanks given by:
Not sure how much will be happening to it tbf, think Emma fancies lowering it a bit more and dropping the rear beam but doesn't like the idea of the tatechnix i have lying around even if they are free lol

Lucky search on eBay has netted me a (from the pictures anyway..) decent condition 6 air box, so that will be getting completely de-rusted and repainted before fitting so the same thing doesn't happen again.

Couldn't fit the droplinks when i did the shocks as apparently ECP had 0 available for click and collect, but have a set of lemforders to go on now. Other than that, the handbrake needs adjusting and I need to get some gearbox oil, but then it should be MOT ready fingers crossed
Thanks given by:
Whilst the weather's been awesome I've fitted the drop links, derusted/repainted and refitted the standard airbox. Then did a gearbox oil change today, 2l of total gear 8 and thats another thing ticked off the list.
Thanks given by:
Only a small update but some more 'shinies'. Saw that BakerBM were doing a deal on Facebook on their gear linkages.. £19.20 posted so I couldn't really say no!

Old ones were definitely quite worn so worth doing, was 'fun' doing it from above.. So setting them to the correct length

[Image: 20170501_131109.jpg]

aaand fitted, feel nice and solid now. Deliberating over a short shift kit too as the throw is quite a bit longer than the BM but heard mixed things 

[Image: 20170501_143536.jpg]
Thanks given by:
that baker bm deal was really good. If i hadnt have got them already i would have been on it! There are a few short shift options but none of them area really any good :/
Thanks given by:
Yeah really couldn't complain, delivery took a bit longer than I'd have liked but they sold way more than they anticipated apparently. Not surprising for that money!

Seen a few short shifts that are supposed to be alright but apparently you're better off getting them welded as the collars slip making the gearstick move around, did think you could just make a small drill hole for the grub screw to go into instead and stop it moving that way.
Thanks given by:
yeh apparently even drilling the hole isnt ideal. I reckon drilling the hole would be more difficult than just welding it!
Thanks given by:
Yeah probably not wrong there! Might just put up with it for now, it's not awful by any means just more than I'm used to
Thanks given by:
Small update with this.. held off due to photobucket'geddon.

From where it'd been sat for so long with the coilovers wound down it'd ruined all the bushes in the lower arms, luckily Alan M was selling a set of Powerflex and i decided i might as well renew the BJ's (lemforder) and BJ heatshields at the same time. So i set to work, other side is off the car waiting to be done.

[Image: LrYgDUF]
[Image: LrYgDUF.jpg]

All complete

[Image: N2VYJYD.jpg]

As you can see, the front bushes were a nightmare to remove...!

[Image: JOux9jG.jpg]

A couple with it back on it's standard suspension, monster truck spec!

[Image: EyjOgFu.jpg]

[Image: 201Ia9t.jpg]

Have a full set of discs and pads waiting to go on, will probably do an oil change too given how long it's been sat then it's cambelt and MOT time.
Thanks given by:
Good stuff Danny, coming along nicely. When its on the road we will have to sort out a south west meet.
Thanks given by:
Cheers dude, yeah definitely!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 Stage 2 HDi Progress/Project. mcglynn 139 67,778 31-12-2018, 02:09 AM
Last Post: Allistairc123
  Nile blue dturbo project Tc306 17 6,975 16-02-2017, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Tc306
  Small progress... laurence_13 23 8,638 10-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Last Post: 1616six