206 1.4 HDi for the missus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
206 1.4 HDi for the missus
Hi guys,

Bought a cheap 206 there for the missus. 1.4 HDi, 146k, 2 previous keepers.

Seems like a good tight driving car, plenty of MOT and cheap to run/tax. The axle looks straight and feels fairly solid too

Anyone have one or know anything about them?

Gonna do a belt on it next week and a good service, any things to check and do as well as this?
Thanks given by:
All I remember about these is that even if you ask on the 206 forum they will advise you to steer clear of the 1.4/1.6 hdi and get the more reliable but less frugal 2.0!

So er, good luck!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Frig really?

I had heard good things about the 1.4 except it's power side of things.

Know all too well about the 1.6 as ive done a turbo on the sisters 307 but shocked to hear the 1.4 is bad.
Thanks given by:
When mr fish sees the title I'm sure he will be comment.

In all honesty the 1.4 isn't that bad engine. Injector seals are 1 of the more common issues with these engines
Thanks given by:
Ah, JP had said they are decent in the fez so should be good. Ill give it a proper once over when I get it to my house.

She doesnt want me spending money on it but when she's away ill sort out any niggles as id rather it was as good as can be I suppose.

I have read about injector seals, and im well used to this with my own HDi so no biggie, will check these and maybe recut the seats and fire new seals in them if alls good.
Thanks given by:
im planning on replacing the Toyota with the 1.4 hdi sw and asked similar questions to this over on 206info. I was warned off the engine by them. Granted they know their stuff and the 2.0 is tried and tested and even if it goes wrong there's so many of them being broken the parts are cheap and plentiful, but I'm still thinking 1.4 for a few reasons...
1). My wife, then dad, have run a 1.4 tdci fiesta (same engine) for 100k+ with no issues whatsoever
2). Why do I want to pay £14 a month or whatever for tax when I can go £35 for the entire year
3). 60mpg instead of 50mpg (this is achievable when I ran that fiesta for a couple of months on my current commute)
4). I don't need performance from my daily driver. I sit at 50 or less on single carriage a road Bcoz of the bad traffic anyway...
5). Still plenty being broken so parts are cheap, just not as cheap or plentiful as the 2.0.
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
1.4 HDi's aren't as bad as people claim, and forums aren't great for relaibilty figures either. On the Ford Forum there are a lot of (mainly old people that are stuck to their marque) that try to turn people away from 1.4/1.6 HDi's having never owned one but simply because they're made by Peugeot! 'Nah mate, stick with the 1.8, its a Ford engine'... lol

Look on here you'd think HDi's were terribly unreliable with electrics compared to XUDs....how often does a HDi actually break something electrical? Not very...apart from MAFs which don't count as they never fully fail the only electrical component failure (as in car not starting) I've had was a crank sensor...across about 10 HDi's.

My step Dad has a 1.4 TDCi Fiesta for work, he does lots of miles and although it gets terrible mpg (his driving probably!) it hasn't broken down so far in 3 years...

That said, I learnt to drive in a 206 1.4 HDi eco....and my god it's still the slowest car I've driven, put me off diesel for years as I assumed they'd all be that bad lol, think a 106 NAD is faster! lol
Thanks given by:
They aren't that bad, just a bit more complex than older HDi engines. Bloody gutless, but having rented one once you can see 65mpg without trying hard.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I test drove this one and while it wont zoom past people on overtakes it will happily potter about town and get up to motorway speed happily Smile

Hoping that its reliable just as shes taking it to uni in manchester where I wont be there to fix it, or do odds and ends and she is on a budget with accommodation etc.

Once the timing belt is done and it's had a good service I'm just hoping that it will be all good Smile

Thanks for the advice guys, even having read some of the forums who actually seem to own them there is a bit of praise about the engine, in that if you treat it well it will treat you well Smile (to an extent).
Thanks given by:
With a remap I would think should see 90+bhp which shouldn't go to bad for what it is

Everyone slates the 1.4 and 1.6 hdi but I would say the 1.4 has less issues. They don't seem to have the turbo issues the 1.6s tend to have
Thanks given by:
Currently on 180k (owned for the last 80k) never missed a beat.

Recently just changed the turbo to a later generation one off a 1.6 HDi, fitted an intercooler and remapped it.

Drives nice now, the 'rents run two as well and hardly get a service and they just plod on.
Thanks given by:
Good man Mark, put my mind at ease.

Are they handy enough to do a belt on? Any tips or special tools needed?

And any niggles to look for initially?
Thanks given by:
(26-01-2015, 04:57 PM)mcglynn Wrote: Good man Mark, put my mind at ease.

Are they handy enough to do a belt on?  Any tips or special tools needed?

And any niggles to look for initially?

Pretty simple in all fairness, hardest part is getting the top cambelt cover off, there is room to work in there. TBF its quite a wide belt, done my old man's at 100k and wouldn't of mattered if we had left it for another few thousand.

Do the water pump the same time though.

Bottom crank pulley can make tapping noise (same as DW10)
Droplinks knocking - standard on a 206 (sounds hellish when they're wore)
Under the boot floor is where a normal one would rust (no underseal used)
Indicator stalk can wear and then flops the indicator on randomly (need to replace the whole Comms unit - not just stalk)
Injector seals can go (i've done mine around 150k) the other 2 we have are on 130 a piece and never been changed AFAIK

No MAP or exhaust sensors to worry about. standard boost pressure fed wastegater turbo. Though I have seen a 55 plate one with a MAP sensor and some weird setup on the air box.

The engine really is just throttled by the cat in the downpipe and the tiny air feed. Sort these out and it helps.

No prize winning racing machine but I would jump in mine and drive it anywhere in the country quite happily.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Car For The Missus 306carter 16 3,176 10-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Herby7
  Car for the missus Niall 30 5,488 23-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Last Post: r3k1355
  Congratulations C.A.R (and his missus) Dum-Dum 8 2,332 26-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Last Post: cwspellowe