Cyclone tyre size and handling

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cyclone tyre size and handling
Hi just wanting to know what the correct tyre size is for cyclones?

Just bought some new ones and they have 195 55's where as my old ones were 50's. Didn't think of asking when I got them. My plan was to keep my old tyres as spares as they are all great.

Also which tyre size is better for handling? I'm not sure but the 55's do seem to be better for me. Softer ride but seems to handle better around corners.
Thanks given by:
195/55/15 is the correct size for the Cyclone, though most people run the 50 profile as it tends to be cheaper and more readily available. Comfort will be best with the 55s, handling....debatable, all depends on suspension setup. Both pretty similar, GTI6 was setup to run the 55s, so if running standard suspension etc then stick with those
Thanks given by:
As above really, although tyre choice really does have a huge impact on both the ride and the handling.. What tyres are you using?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I will be probably putting rainsport 3s on in the future as the ones that came with them are perished although plenty of tread. There some good year fuel saver ones so not brilliant.
Thanks given by:
Why the Rainsports? People raved about the 2's, I advised a mate to buy a set and in all honesty they were the worst tyre I've come across for the money. Admittedly the wet grip was reasonable, but the sidewalls are made from cheese and any hint of pressing on along back roads started to wear the shoulders. If you want cheap tyres that aren't too bad consider some Toyo T1R's.. I'll get slated for suggesting them but whilst they're not brilliant, they are (IMO) the better tyre. http://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s99p12074...se%3A_71dB

Alternatively, if you want good tyres, these are 100% worth the money. You'll think you've got into a different car, and they'll be far better in every situation. Plus the price difference is nothing when you consider they'll probably see over twice the mileage. http://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s99p11092...se%3A_71dB

In case you can't tell, I'm on the 50 profile wagon. They're cheaper due to popularity and look better, not to mention the improved handling. And the ride isn't all that different, barely noticeable depending on your suspension setup..

Thanks given by:
Just a creature of habit. Always had rainsports haha. Will look into them. Thanks for your great reply Smile
Thanks given by:
Had some Falken ZE914's last night and thought they pretty good.

Think they £44 a corner.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Where was that from?
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2015, 09:00 AM)7057sam Wrote: Had some Falken ZE914's last night and thought they pretty good.

Think they £44 a corner.

Good tyres those for the price, I also like the Kumho KH31
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2015, 09:10 AM)Silky Wrote:
(21-01-2015, 09:00 AM)7057sam Wrote: Had some Falken ZE914's last night and thought they pretty good.

Think they £44 a corner.

Good tyres those for the price, I also like the Kumho KH31

Definatly Kumho's i run 195/55/15 Kumho's on my cyclones and are very very good in the dry and mostly good in the wet lol. I find when theyve warmed up a bit they stick well.
Thanks given by:
I preferred the KU31, they were a pretty good tyre, lovely and sticky in the warm

But they seem to have switched to the KH31 in the last year or so.
Thanks given by:
Definitely rainsports over T1Rs any day, and yes I've had both on a 306 in the correct 55 profile. Wink

RS3s are much better than the 2s were Jonny, slightly stronger sidewall but more importantly completely new asymmetric tread pattern which cuts down noise and makes for even better wet grip, despite looking a bit odd.

That said I didn't want RS3s on the Focus so chose Dunlop Sport BluResponse instead, while they're only on the back, they sem to be handling this weather much better than the OE Hankooks were/are!
Thanks given by:
Argh I hate people saying different things! Confusing my poor head! There should be a comparison site for tyres with a rating system and pros and cons.
Thanks given by:
There is lol. Tyres are all rated on wet grip, noise etc. And there are loads of tyre reviews on line!

Choose your budget, then see what gets the best ratings, then check reviews. Every tyre will have a few bad but if the majority are good that's probably the one to go for!
Thanks given by:
For the money RS3 are one of the best IMO.. They only cost me 45 quid for 16s so are cheap lol
Thanks given by:
I changed my tyres recently and keep 195/55 r15 Cyclones but i couldn't balance them, the guys didn't had the tool/hub, how you guys can balance them?
Thanks given by:
Go to another garage, maybe ring beforehand and ask if they can balance centreless wheels. It's easy enough but some garages don't have the adapter or can't be arsed to use it..

Thanks given by:
Most garages don't do it, apparently the hub is optional extra for balancing machines that they don't bother with, only know of 2 tyre shops round here that'll balance them!
Thanks given by:
what the short lad said up there^^^^^^^

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
We have it at my work but I think that bit alone is £500 plus so you can understand why some garages don't bother
Thanks given by:
Tyre choice is personal preference really, one person will like different things to another...

From my own experience, if all your after is comfort / oem, stick with a 55, you can notice, and it does make a more oem drive, and if your car isnt lowered, I think it looks better also..

Personally I prefer running 50's (not just because there cheaper)...Have tried a few tyres over the years, and tbh, like most things you get what you pay for, I'm now running Pilot Sport 3's right around the car, and id never look back / spend less on tyres again, they really do transform the way the car handles / grips, it gives you so much more confidence in the car having decent rubber on it...

Ive never ran rainsports, but used to use t1r's which given how cheap they are were ok, however they didnt last long, and I had a sidewall totally fail on another causing blow out...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I'm running 195/50's on my Rallye. Been dropped 40mm. Tyres suit it to be honest. Michelin PE2's I think. Not going out to check, too cold!

Best tires I ever ran on my old 6 back in 2001 ish were Bridgestone SO-2's. Wasn't much at all that phased them. Most of the hard driving brigade back then ran them. Bridge stone then bought out the SO-3 with was a huge step backwards...?

I keep an eye out for some SO-2's but not seen any in a long time
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Estate handling mods Tabbiss 2 1,822 24-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Scary rear handling! plugy 11 4,085 15-06-2018, 12:37 AM
Last Post: plugy
  Dreadful Handling JTaylor2005 39 6,675 01-05-2016, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Paul_13