Rusty Justy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rusty Justy
Very probably. Just looked on how many left for the turbo version. There's 1 left on the road and 1 sorned. Such a shame :-(

Anyway, onto the last part of the resurrection.

Take one monster vice that would make any farmer jealous (including Mr Lobb I am sure) two bits of scrap angle, a block of wood and a hammer and you have a make-shift sheet metal folder. Getting the marks to line up is a right arse because the metal moves both ends even when you are adjusting the other, the bits of angle move independently of each other but it can be done. I did have to scrap my second attempt and start again but hey ho I got the first one spot on Smile

[Image: P1000770.jpg]

Hole in the floor done. That's welded from above by the way. Most of the weld you can see is just penetration. Couldn't get the welder to work any lower with the 0.8mm wire. I think 0.6mm would have helped but it wasn't in the budget so I had to use what I had. I matched the ribs in the re-placement part match the floor-pan so it can be ground off flush if they want, instead of bashing the floor flat to match the flat sheet and simply welding it in. I also made the return on the sill panel match the existing one so it looks original from underneath, not just 3 panels flushed together.

[Image: P1000775.jpg]

Part way thru being linished up. I made the sill up in two. Partly because to do a panel any longer with the kit I had would be very difficult but mostly so I could get the vertical line/indent by the door shut to match the other side. I hit one side in, filled it with weld and then ground out a line so it should look originalish when it has a bit of under-seal applied.

[Image: P1000778.jpg]

[Image: P1000781.jpg]

Bit of primer and that's that Smile
Thanks given by:
that's a good repair! I need to learn to weld properly!
Thanks given by:
Ta, not too bad for a first attempt hopefully?

I've found the original ebay ad and another one on retrorides for this car. DEFINITELY a case of buyer beware if ever I saw one!

"I have bought new arch panels from Germany which are included, the only other bits are two small holes in the driver's side sill and two plates on either side were the rear belts mount in the wheel arches - both very easy flat metal plate weld jobs."

"The car is really tidy, it just needs the new arches welded in."

"In excellent looking condition, it needs rear arches welding in and a few other bits (hole in the sill and 2 inch plates where the rear belt mounts were) - comes with full arch repair panels. Welding jobs are very easy."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171483258704?s...1555.l2649

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/1...4wd-wirral

Lol Dodgy
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2015, 06:38 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: Ta, not too bad for a first attempt hopefully?

I've found the original ebay ad and another one on retrorides for this car. DEFINITELY a case of buyer beware if ever I saw one!

"I have bought new arch panels from Germany which are included, the only other bits are two small holes in the driver's side sill and two plates on either side were the rear belts mount in the wheel arches - both very easy flat metal plate weld jobs."

"The car is really tidy, it just needs the new arches welded in."

"In excellent looking condition, it needs rear arches welding in and a few other bits (hole in the sill and 2 inch plates where the rear belt mounts were) - comes with full arch repair panels. Welding jobs are very easy."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171483258704?s...1555.l2649

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/1...4wd-wirral

Lol Dodgy

My gta was like that, the seller failed to tell me about the boot floor been away on the car!
This one was on the border line of been in the same boat as my gta, the seller told me the floor pans on this one is solid, yep he was "right" should have failed its last mot really, before I bought it.
Thanks given by:
Lot's of good work going on here, good see this one being saved. Did look very tidy in the pictures on that retrorides advert, must have been a shock to see the extent of the rot!
Thanks given by:
You really have to be careful on RR. It's touted as a friendly community who would never screw each other over, but a lot of the less active members and even some of the established ones will happily sell a death trap with a dodgy MOT on there. I've had 3 cars off there including the Merc and each deal has been a pleasure, but have your eyes open at all times on there. Much as I love the cars on there, there isn't the sense of honesty and community that there is here.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Looking good Paul, I know where to come when I buy a rust bucket!

Oh.. wait..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(23-01-2015, 01:05 PM)mattsrallye Wrote: Lot's of good work going on here, good see this one being saved. Did look very tidy in the pictures on that retrorides advert, must have been a shock to see the extent of the rot!

It was a bit, even tho I knew it's always worse than it looks! I'm sure it will look tidy again but this time it will be more metal than filler Smile

(23-01-2015, 02:01 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: You really have to be careful on RR. It's touted as a friendly community who would never screw each other over, but a lot of the less active members and even some of the established ones will happily sell a death trap with a dodgy MOT on there. I've had 3 cars off there including the Merc and each deal has been a pleasure, but have your eyes open at all times on there. Much as I love the cars on there, there isn't the sense of honesty and community that there is here.

I'll keep that in mind if I ever go shopping on there cheers Liam.

(23-01-2015, 02:02 PM)silverzx Wrote: Looking good Paul, I know where to come when I buy a rust bucket!

Oh.. wait..

Sure I may be able to help you out Trent, even tho it's a bit of a trek! Smile
Thanks given by:
paul one of these is on bay of e been broken for spares

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301565980423

any help?
Thanks given by:
Good work mate. Cant believe how much work there is there.
Thanks given by:
Looks a bit dear from what I can see mate. Toooo far away from us too to be any use really, nice try tho ta :-)

Ta Dum-Dum, pity the bird who the car was done for doesn't appreciate it. She's pissed off with me and not talking to me after doing it lol. Someone told her it would take a couple of weeks and it took longer. I was working in sub-zero conditions some days, just over the rest, no heating at all, lay on a concrete floor in a shed that's only sort of rain tight and certainly not wind tight. I had to turn the gas up at one point as the gas was being blown away and I was meant to be inside lmfao! Not much space to move about and having to clamber thru the car each time I wanted to work on a piece of metal on the one side, minimal equipment, light etc etc. Doesn't exactly inspire you to crack on with it I can tell you. You just can't please some people lol.
Thanks given by:
(14-04-2015, 01:11 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: Looks a bit dear from what I can see mate. Toooo far away from us too to be any use really, nice try tho ta :-)

Ta Dum-Dum, pity the bird who the car was done for doesn't appreciate it. She's pissed off with me and not talking to me after doing it lol. Someone told her it would take a couple of weeks and it took longer. I was working in sub-zero conditions some days, just over the rest, no heating at all, lay on a concrete floor in a shed that's only sort of rain tight and certainly not wind tight. I had to turn the gas up at one point as the gas was being blown away and I was meant to be inside lmfao! Not much space to move about and having to clamber thru the car each time I wanted to work on a piece of metal on the one side, minimal equipment, light etc etc. Doesn't exactly inspire you to crack on with it I can tell you. You just can't please some people lol.

Seriously? some people have no idea just how much time and skill goes into a proper fabrication and welding job!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/subaru-justy-/...1c5053d0e7
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Sadly yes lol. It was my first go at proper bodywork too. She crashed her Corsa on an icy back lane and I got blamed as apparently it wouldn't have happened if she was in the scooby.

Didn't realise I could crash a car by proxy lmfao.
Thanks given by:
You must be a Jedi, or at least something simular
Thanks given by:
It's that Voodoo doll I made up awhile back, got it fine tuned now obviously :-)
Thanks given by:
Only just seen your south shropshire!? whereabouts fella as im only knighton based Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Danny's rusty transit. Danny Wideboy 18 5,250 01-03-2016, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Danny Wideboy