The Pikey Life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pikey Life
Well, parents don't want me in the house much longer so considering living in a caravan as:

A) Theres f**k all to rent in my area at a decent price.
B) why the f***k not.

I've permission to use land where my caravan (and workshop, 205, 306 etc) is currently located providing I pay the electricity bill.

So, my current caravan has no working toilet, gas or water.

Water is avaliable from a spring (powered by an electric pump for lifting it) and I have mains electric extended out to the caravan.

I'm thinking microwave, TV, electric blanket, electric heaters, few clip on lights, couple of duvets, plastic chair with a hole cut out and umbrella attached (should it be raining when you want a shit, or go in a carrier bag / bucket combo in the caravan).

I would like to link some sort of water heater to the spring water avaliable. Such as a power shower attached to a wall with some pallets and plastic around. I also have access to massive 500L drums that I can move with the trakkkker should they be of any use (e.g. pipes getting frozen over and back up supply needed).

Just after some thoughts really, think there must be a few pikeys amongst us who can shine some light on the matter...
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
f*ck
That

You must be able to find something decent in the area?
No house shares or anything like that?
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2015, 04:30 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: f*ck
That

You must be able to find something decent in the area?
No house shares or anything like that?

Haha!!

I'd rather be putting £1000 a month into savings for a deposit then pay for rent, bills etc and only save £300 a month...

I am looking with my partner but it's still bloody expensive for even the sh*test & smallest flats going.

E.g. These, split between me and partner.
1 bed £400-£450 PCM.
Council tax £120 PCM.
Water £30 PCM.
Gas £30 PCM.
Electric £30 PCM.
Internet + Line rental £30 PCM.
Food £200 PCM.

(£445 EACH)

Extra cost:
Deposit £600-800.
Agency fees £120.
Reference fees £60.

Vs.

These on my own.
Caravan £0.
Electric £100 PCM.
Food £100 PCM.

I have £4,000 saved over seas, around £5,000 worth of cars/parts, couple of grand in the bank, £1,000 getting saved every month.. Shouldn't be too long for a house deposit to be saved especially if I go on the 5% scheme.. Also, this wouldn't be pernament, rather a few months or maybe the course of the summer.. Also Fri/Sat/Sun I'd stay at my partners parents house.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2015, 04:30 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: f*ck
That
This right here ^^^ 
Thanks given by:
Er.... Where the hell are you living for it to be that much? Even in London I can get a place for £510 all bills included! Maybe you need to move up north and get a full house for £350 a month!
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2015, 04:41 PM)SRowell Wrote: Er.... Where the hell are you living for it to be that much? Even in London I can get a place for £510 all bills included! Maybe you need to move up north and get a full house for £350 a month!

West Country blud. ThumbsUp
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
I considered a caravan, would prefer a static one with working loo and water though lol, yours sounds awful! lol
Thanks given by:
Saying that where I live is about that price. But I managed to save for house while in rented. I wouldn't live in a caravan though.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I heard the word partner?
He/she is happy staying at "your place" ?

Bear in mind we are having a mild winter, caravans aren't exactly insulated.
Speak to those folks who live in old folks park homes about how ridiculous there heating bills are, tho I'm sure you can man up and wear a jumper.
Would suggest free supply of wood, outdoor rocket stove feeding a recycled rad for heating Smile

When you come to get a mortgage, what are you going to say for previous address Big Grin

Are you paying your folks rent ?
If not, perhaps you should, or are they just after kicking you out of the nest ?
Thanks given by:
Its a shit idea tbh. Caravans unless properly heated end up horrible and damp and you'll just end up ill from that.
Id slow down the savings and rent a small 1 bed place somewhere. Would only put you back a few months but would mean at least your not living in a wooden box!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Not for me!
wouldn't holiday in one let alone live in one

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Do it over summer, as said by others any money you save on rent you'll piss away on heating bills.
Thanks given by:
Interesting idea in theory, but theory is a cruel mistress.

Hearing these property prices make me think all the more we're getting ripped up here in Bury. £550 for a 2 bed kind of spacious but not really flat in t' nurth.
I get what you're saying though it would be so much easier to save up some money if you didn't have those costs.
If you perhaps spent a few hundred on a nice caravan that perhaps isn't so mobile no more then it would be better for you and you can at least live in some more comfort that shi...sitting in a plastic chair.
Also didn't matt live in a caravan or something for a bit?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2015, 05:39 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Interesting idea in theory, but theory is a cruel mistress.

Hearing these property prices make me think all the more we're getting ripped up here in Bury. £550 for a 2 bed kind of spacious but not really flat in t' nurth.
I get what you're saying though it would be so much easier to save up some money if you didn't have those costs.
If you perhaps spent a few hundred on a nice caravan that perhaps isn't so mobile no more then it would be better for you and you can at least live in some more comfort that shi...sitting in a plastic chair.

He did. I stayed there one night. It was a grim way to live lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Nah not this time of year!

It will soon get damp and be cold them you WIll End up I'll!

Just man up and either sort it with the parents or rent with partner
Thanks given by:
Mate to be able to afford to live with your missus for less than £450 each in a proper flat is proper cheap for living in a touristy area in the south. Just get a proper flat as I bet your missus loves the idea of you living in a caravan.

You need to watch living in a caravan as I assume your yard doesn't have a proper address and being of no fixed abode can harm your credit rating so you'd have to still effectively be living with your parents address wise.

Surely if you have got £5k plus if you sell some parts than you can get a house with the governments help to buy scheme
Thanks given by:
Been there and done it bud, yours sounds like luxury compared to some of my "abodes" over the years.

Living in a motorhome/caravan/boat (maestro van!) is all well and good if you live on your own and are happy with your own company.
A log burner, if there is provisions, is what you want really as you can always heat your water from it and wood, if gathered yourself, is free. 

If the place is warm and dry then what's the problem with living in it? Especially if you are at work all day earning coin to save for somewhere else/better.

I have lived in a barn, many caravans, a boat, a shed on brighton beach, a maestro van, a mercedes bus to name a few and mostly with my Mrs and dog. Got an actual house now though.

People want too many creature comforts and take most of it for granted. 
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by: PugInScim
I just think the heating will cost you so much... and its going to take time to get everything else working. I cant see how the pipes arent going to not freeze...
Thanks given by:
Try it, nothing ventured nothing gained. Worst case scenario you'll just have to get a flat anyway, so why the f*ck not?
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
I was going to say with all the over seas money,savings and car parts that got to be 10k they.

You can also do what I was going to do and get a mortgage based on 5 percent and 5 percent gifted which is added to your mortgage so only need say 7k for 120 k place plus obviously fees.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2015, 04:52 PM)nominous Wrote: I heard the word partner?
He/she is happy staying at "your place" ?

Bear in mind we are having a mild winter, caravans aren't exactly insulated.
Speak to those folks who live in old folks park homes about how ridiculous there heating bills are, tho I'm sure you can man up and wear a jumper.
Would suggest free supply of wood, outdoor rocket stove feeding a recycled rad for heating Smile

When you come to get a mortgage, what are you going to say for previous address Big Grin

Are you paying your folks rent ?
If not, perhaps you should, or are they just after kicking you out of the nest ?

I said to her I'll stay in it Mon-Thur and at her parents Fri-Sun.

Already have sh1t loads of wood so just need a burner put into the caravan.

Paying £300/PCM at parents currently. They're just kicking me out the nest. Wink

(13-01-2015, 05:08 PM)Niall Wrote: Its a shit idea tbh. Caravans unless properly heated end up horrible and damp and you'll just end up ill from that.
Id slow down the savings and rent a small 1 bed place somewhere. Would only put you back a few months but would mean at least your not living in a wooden box!

Meh, you ain't got any gypsy blood in you clearly! Nospeak

(13-01-2015, 05:39 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Interesting idea in theory, but theory is a cruel mistress.

Lmao, shitting sitting in a plastic chair isn't the end of the world. Shitting can be scheduled e.g. at gym, work, GF's house etc etc. Hardly a deal breaker..

(13-01-2015, 06:11 PM)swampy Wrote: Nah not this time of year!

It will soon get damp and be cold them you WIll End up I'll!

Just man up and either sort it with the parents or rent with partner

I lived in worse, my last flat had UBER damp to the point we had mushrooms growing out the ceiling..

Parents nothing to be sorted. Parter it's all in the pipe line.

(13-01-2015, 06:34 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Mate to be able to afford to live with your missus for less than £450 each in a proper flat is proper cheap for living in a touristy area in the south. Just get a proper flat as I bet your missus loves the idea of you living in a caravan.

You need to watch living in a caravan as I assume your yard doesn't have a proper address and being of no fixed abode can harm your credit rating so you'd have to still effectively be living with your parents address wise.

Surely if you have got £5k plus if you sell some parts than you can get a house with the governments help to buy scheme

Meh, I dunno, everyone bangs on about mortages being the same price month to month as a flat so just makes me feel sh1t about renting.

All my address would remain as parents address.

I could get a 5% but then I'm tied into it BIG TIME which I don't really mind but I'd rather get a "normal" mortgage which means I could rent it out legally should I choose to move on to another area/country (rather than having to sell).

(13-01-2015, 06:43 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: Been there and done it bud, yours sounds like luxury compared to some of my "abodes" over the years.

Living in a motorhome/caravan/boat (maestro van!) is all well and good if you live on your own and are happy with your own company.
A log burner, if there is provisions, is what you want really as you can always heat your water from it and wood, if gathered yourself, is free. 

If the place is warm and dry then what's the problem with living in it? Especially if you are at work all day earning coin to save for somewhere else/better.

I have lived in a barn, many caravans, a boat, a shed on brighton beach, a maestro van, a mercedes bus to name a few and mostly with my Mrs and dog. Got an actual house now though.

People want too many creature comforts and take most of it for granted. 

Yesssss mate! Big Grin A Man with some first hanad experience!

I have loads of wood, looking for a log burner though.

I'll be sleeping in it Mon-Thur, at work / gym / etc Mon-Fri and with the Mrs at hers Fri/Sat/Sun.

(13-01-2015, 10:33 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: Try it, nothing ventured nothing gained. Worst case scenario you'll just have to get a flat anyway, so why the f*ck not?

Like your style.

(13-01-2015, 11:12 PM)7057sam Wrote: I was going to say with all the over seas money,savings and car parts that got to be 10k they.

You can also do what I was going to do and get a mortgage based on 5 percent and 5 percent gifted which is  added to your mortgage so only need say 7k for 120 k place plus obviously fees.

Yeaaah but finding a NEW 2 bed 120k house in Somerset, funny joke. Tongue
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Agreed £445 each is nothing.

Why not move it with her parents?
Bianca Rallye
1989 205 GTi6 on ITBs
BMW Z4 3.0

Thousands of GTi6 parts availabile.
Thanks given by:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-...60999.html

£145k, 1 (nearly2) bedrooms so deposit needed is about £7k which your pretty much at with your current savings and selling the 205.

Why do you need to consider the caravan?
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2015, 01:26 PM)Dangti6 Wrote: Agreed £445 each is nothing.

Why not move it with her parents?

Uhh, bit cheeky init..

(14-01-2015, 01:27 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-...60999.html

£145k, 1 (nearly2) bedrooms so deposit needed is about £7k which your pretty much at with your current savings and selling the 205.

Why do you need to consider the caravan?

No drive, no on street parking, no garage, no 2 double bedrooms.

If I'm spending £145k theres a few boxes that need to be ticked... Blush
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Hehe, I think the definition of a pikey is failing here somewhat....If she is up for it, go for it, you will save a fortune, get an old static though off a van site, can pick them up for under a grand, ad sell them after for just the same..can be made into a perfectly decent place for a few years!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2015, 01:37 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Hehe, I think the definition of a pikey is failing here somewhat....If she is up for it, go for it, you will save a fortune, get an old static though off a van site, can pick them up for under a grand, ad sell them after for just the same..can be made into a perfectly decent place for a few years!

PM me on FB Daza..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Darrens got it in one tbh, my mum and teenage little sister managed it for three years with no toilet, running water or electric, i'm sure you can. Only thing i would be wary of is are you technically allowed to live on the land in question? Don't what the area's like, but might f*ck you up if there's a few busy bodies/coppers locally.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(14-01-2015, 01:55 PM)Poodle Wrote: Darrens got it in one tbh, my mum and teenage little sister managed it for three years with no toilet, running water or electric, i'm sure you can. Only thing i would be wary of is are you technically allowed to live on the land in question? Don't what the area's like, but might f*ck you up if there's a few busy bodies/coppers locally.

Mate I'm getting wet looking at these static homes now...! Big Grin

As you say, could be a problem with a static where as caravan is slightly easier to get away with..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Weld some "wheels" on the side and claim it's mobile
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
http://www.travellerhomes.co.uk/?p=2471

That was my mercedes bus, stayed in that for a good few weeks when I was working away from home. Also used it for festivals and stuff.
Had a log burner, sink, cooker, fridge, 2000w inverter,a  pull out double bed for guests and a fixed king size double at the back for me.

That was pretty "posh" compared to a lot of other places I stayed in, as I say. Was young and carefree then though.
I still love sleeping in caravans and busses now, a mate has a Green Goddess, converted with living box on the back instead of water pumping gear,to the ultimate 4X4 expedition vehicle that we often take to festys and steam rallies for a weekend away. Will have to see if I have any photos of it.

I say go for it, if you really hate it I'm sure there are other options.   Smile
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new pikey in town! cully 8 1,435 13-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Last Post: cully
  pikey van lowering jonnynitro 10 2,269 31-01-2014, 03:24 AM
Last Post: Mal